Author Topic: Exemplars  (Read 70964 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Exemplars
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2017, 05:46:52 PM »
Thank yo for sharing Ken!

Your Italic Variatiants book is my go-to reference for Italic!

I'm glad that you liked the book. I eventually abandoned the project as production on a limited scale became too time-consuming and not cost effective. For what it's worth what you have is a limited edition copy!
 :P :-[ ;)

Offline Vinitha

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »
Hi...I am new here. Appreciate if you would be able to guide me on how to view these exemplars.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2017, 10:35:03 AM »
I compiled this topic with images uploaded using Photobucket and their recent change of policy has obliterated them, pending an extortionate annual subscription which I'm not prepared to pay, even if I could.

Photobucket are of course entitled to introduce a charge for their services but to apply it retrospectively is reprehensible in my view. Even if I wanted to replace the images, they are impossible to identify individually.

As this topic contains only work produced by myself, it might be best removed altogether as the many comments relate to images which no long exist.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
I'm having a hard time deleting a post which has been read almost 20,000 times!  :-[  :'(
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2017, 03:23:16 PM »
There must be a way around this, Ken - another image host or maybe uploading the pics to your website and linking to them there if you still maintain it.  Possibly a Picasa album?  At any rate it would be crying shame to lose the thread.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
I'm having a hard time deleting a post which has been read almost 20,000 times!  :-[  :'(

Sorry, in my ignorance, I didn't think it through and realise the difficulties involved.

My apologies.

My problem is that anyone reading through a lengthy topic such as this, is going to be frustrated and annoyed by reading comments and opinions which relate to nothing.  :'(

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2017, 03:48:32 AM »
There must be a way around this, Ken - another image host or maybe uploading the pics to your website and linking to them there if you still maintain it.  Possibly a Picasa album?  At any rate it would be crying shame to lose the thread.

Good point, Andy - but I have a further problem.

As a "belt and braces" type of individual, I have copies of every image I've ever posted as files on my PC hard drive, and duplicates on a dedicated external hard drive. I also have A4 hard copies of everything (currently 452 pages) indexed and filed in ring binders.

As others have mentioned elsewhere, re-uploading the files would be possible if it weren't for the fact that they aren't identifiable. The replacement posts by Photobucket are identical and give no clue as to the original posts. Most of the time, in my case, I have no way of knowing which posts are missing. For example I may have 20 posts referring to Foundational and have no way of knowing which specific image is missing from a particular thread. Subsequent comments rarely give sufficient information.

Anyone trying to read through this, and other similar topics is in for a frustrating time - sorry :'(

It's rather late in the day, but I'm now uploading directly to this site.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:01:28 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
I've seen the photobucket message in other posts and wondering what happened so I'm glad I took a gander over here.  I'm sorry that photobucket changed its policies @Ken Fraser, both because this thread was a wonderful resource and because it's clear that it has caused you a fair bit of anguish.  There probably isn't much to be done for the many and varied posts throughout the forum, but perhaps for this particular topic, since it was originally meant to be a resource of reference exemplars, you could edit the posts listed in the index by deleting the links to the photobucket site and then uploading an image of that particular style directly to the forum.  The posts commenting on the exemplars may not make much sense, but at least the exemplars themselves will be restored.  You could put a few sentences at the top of the index post explaining the situation and mention that reply posts before #XXX refer to the former images and are therefore sometimes nonsensical but posts #XXX+1 and beyond refer to the current images.  It's not the most elegant solution, but I think people would just be glad to still be able to see some of your beautiful work.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
Erica, Andy and Elizabeth,

It would appear that there is sufficient interest in resurrecting the topic albeit in a necessarily modified form, as some of the posts are difficult to identify.
I feel that attempting to edit the existing topic, might be complicated and not very easy to follow.
In view of your comments and suggestions I propose the following:

I create a new topic entitled "Exemplars re-visited" or something similar beginning with a brief explanation as to the reason for its existence. Where they are identifiable I would then upload directly the images as before.

Here, on the original Topic, I could add a brief note as to what has happened.

Please let me know if this makes sense, Erica, and I'll make a start.

Ken

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2017, 11:08:22 AM »
Excellent idea @Ken Fraser !  Maybe you could put a link to the new topic in the intro to the old one and afterward @Erica McPhee could close this one so that no further replies could be made.

I have referred to your exemplars many times in the past.  They are easy to use as references because they are so clean and clearly labeled and can be printed out and studied.  I like that there are no guidelines or arrows on them so that I can see the letterforms without distraction.   
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2017, 03:50:45 PM »
That seems like a good solution, Ken.  Minimal work for Erica, if not for you.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
That seems like a good solution, Ken.  Minimal work for Erica, if not for you.

Elizabeth & Andy,

Thanks for your input and support.  Erica has agreed with my suggestion and I'll begin creating a replacement Topic shortly.   :)

Ken

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »