Author Topic: Oblique Holder  (Read 27481 times)

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Re: Oblique Holder
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »
Well my temporary oblique holder is coming in, due to arrive on Monday.     :)
I had P&IA add the Peerless Oblique holder to my order so I would have an oblique holder to use, and put the Adjustable Oblique on blackorder and ship it when they finally get it in stock.

update: 4/21 - IT ARRIVED  ;D
I can finally write with an oblique holder. 
But now I need to adjust the flange to hold the nib at a lower angle.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:21:15 PM by garyn »
Gary

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
WOW
I just tried the Peerless Oblique holder, and it made a HUGE difference in how much easier the downstroke was to do. 
So much easier to do and nicer to look at   :)
I wish I started with this holder a month ago.
I did have to adjust the holder a little bigger for the Nikko G nib, and angle the nib to sit at a lower angle.
Now I have to get used to writing with the flange and nib sticking out on the side, and positioning it at a consistent angle.

Many thanks to all of you. 

Now the next question, do you have multiple holders for the different size nibs, or do you adjust the holder?
I'm inclined to get another holder, so that I only adjust the holder to the nib size once.
Gary

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
WOW
I just tried the Peerless Oblique holder, and it made a HUGE difference in how much easier the downstroke was to do. 
So much easier to do and nicer to look at   :)
I wish I started with this holder a month ago.
I did have to adjust the holder a little bigger for the Nikko G nib, and angle the nib to sit at a lower angle.
Now I have to get used to writing with the flange and nib sticking out on the side, and positioning it at a consistent angle.

Many thanks to all of you. 

Now the next question, do you have multiple holders for the different size nibs, or do you adjust the holder?
I'm inclined to get another holder, so that I only adjust the holder to the nib size once.

That's great to hear! When I still had the Hourglass Adjustable I would just switch out the nib because it's quite easy to do so but now that I dont I have two main ones, one sized for the larger nibs such as the nikko g or esterbrook 358 and one sized for ones such as the gillott 303 or esterbrook 356. I'm hoping to get one of Chris's holders next with an adjustable flange though  ;D

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
... do you have multiple holders for the different size nibs, or do you adjust the holder?  I'm inclined to get another holder, so that I only adjust the holder to the nib size once.

I had a conversation with Brian Smith on this subject just recently, and his take was that although an ordinary brass flange is probably good for hundreds of adjustments, all things being equal it's best to stick to one holder per nib.  I got him to set mine up for Principals, and that's the way it'll stay (and yes, I'll post pictures just as soon as I've taken them).  My newly revised policy now is to make or adapt holders for other nibs as and when required, so for the time being there's a dedicated homemade one for 303s and a Speedball as a temporary measure for whatever else comes along.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
I have a plastic Blackwell adjustable holder and it's the one I use for when I'm trying out new nibs. For my go-to nibs, Each has its  own holder. I have a Ziller holder adjusted so it only fits EF66 (because it is so tiny).

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2014, 10:50:14 PM »
Glad you are enjoying your new oblique!  :)  There is another thread on this but I can't put my fingers on it. I need to start an FAQ page.  :)

P.S. I only have a handful of pens, but I don't change the nib unless it's worn out.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2014, 12:25:02 AM »
The P&IA Adjustable Oblique Holder arrived.
It is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow to try it out and adjust it.
Gary

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2014, 01:16:51 AM »
I've got pretty big hands so that was my first reaction as well  but it worked very well for me.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2014, 06:14:37 PM »
Question, i took a nib out of the holder ans the whole brass fitting come out. Oh the dissapointment. Is this normal. I was able to get it back it.

When I have a nib that's too large to fit, I remove the flange, fit and hold the nib in place and then slide the flange and nib back into the holder

Ken