Author Topic: Etegami ...  (Read 361 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Etegami ...
« on: February 08, 2024, 11:51:03 PM »
I only recently learned about this "Japanese postcard art," (thank you, @jeanwilson) and very much like what I've seen and learned! 

I especially like the simplicity, both in the art and the words which seems to make it very much non-threatening to many who may otherwise say "I don't do art."  Reminds me a bit of sashiko stitching/mending.

My current focus is still on Spencerian for everyday handwriting, but one day ...

Here's a great introduction:

https://beyond-calligraphy.com/2017/01/10/introduction-art-etegami/
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Etegami ...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 01:33:39 PM »
Very nice - I had not learned of this before. I am very enamored with aesthetic of many of the Japanese artists/calligraphers I follow. There is such a clean, thoughtful approach that is simple in its design but not easy to emulate. This postcard art look like a nice relaxed approach.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline liquidpope

• Freshman Member
  • Stay curious. Never stop learning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 10:01:22 AM »
I hadn't heard of this, but I love the idea. Thanks for sharing!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 07:06:49 AM »
I only recently learned about this "Japanese postcard art," (thank you, @jeanwilson) and very much like what I've seen and learned! 

I especially like the simplicity, both in the art and the words which seems to make it very much non-threatening to many who may otherwise say "I don't do art."  Reminds me a bit of sashiko stitching/mending.

My current focus is still on Spencerian for everyday handwriting, but one day ...

As an aside, isn’t @jeanwilson  great??!!  We are enriched by her presence here at The Forum!! She is a wonderful teacher/mentor/friend!  Thank you@jeanwilson !
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:01:56 PM by Erica McPhee »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 04:30:01 PM »
This is great. I have some students from Japan - this gives me a new cultural question to ask them.