Author Topic: Spencerian and Copperplate Practice  (Read 2662 times)

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
Spencerian and Copperplate Practice
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
Here is this mornings practice sheet of both Spencerian and Copperplate.   I need to work on my capital stems and the letter D (one of my least favorite letters to write) but my slant is getting better.  Any and all feedback is wanted and appreciated.  Thank you for all the others that put their work out there - you have given me the courage to do the same. 

Sheila

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Spencerian and Copperplate Practice
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
Hi Sheila @sheila247  - I just saw this message for the first time and realized there is no attachment. Did you mean to attach a sample for critique? Thanks!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:58:54 AM »
Thank you @Erica McPhee  I didn't realize the attachment didn't get attached.  Here is the original and I am going to redo it and see my progress.  I'll post the re-do also. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:43:54 AM »
Your work is beautiful Sheila! I don't have any critique at all. I'm looking forward to seeing your redo, too.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
Thank you!!  I see errors all over the place.  I need to practice my Spencerian more often.  :-)   Working on the re-do today. 

Offline brandonC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
I like the idea of using different bands for each letter

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
@brandonC  I find writing bands or foods or something that I care about is more fun than just writing words

Here is yesterday's version of the same only this time I wrote with a vintage Gillott 303 and with Iron Gall ink.  I can tell a difference not only with the nib and ink change as far as hairlines - but my letter forms look better at least to me.  :-)

Offline brandonC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:19:52 PM »
Haven't tried the 303 yet.  Might do that tomorrow night.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »
Do you find the 303 scratchy? I like the 404 better.

I can see this version really well. Your Spencerian is beautifully consistent! Do you find it confusing to work on both simultaneously?

Spacing and sizing can often be a matter of preference. Your Spencerian minuscules are just slightly on the tall side. They are still very pleasing but traditionally, I think Spencerian is a bit shorter so one would use different guidelines than what they would use for Copperplate. Other than that - Wow!

Copperplate is written at a slower pace than Spencerian. There are a few words where the letters feel a bit rushed. Watch your spacing between s and h like in Bush, Clash, and Rush. There needs to be a bit more breathing room.

The only things I would suggest you could work on would be squaring tops and bottoms and your s. It looks like you are making your Copperplate s the same way you make the Spencerian s except with shade. Traditional copperplate makes the s very differently. At the least, I would not make the shade start at the top.

I hope that is helpful. You clearly have worked on your letters for some time as they are very beautiful and well made.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »
I've attached a small example to demonstrate the Copperplate s. You can end the bottom stroke several different ways. The first is with the dot to the left of the hairline and almost cut in half. The second is with the dot centered over the hairline (this seems to have been the most popular). And lastly with the dot just to the right of the hairline.

The top can be done several ways as well. No loop, a tiny loop, a tiny loop filled in. The middle represents what most old texts show for the s.

These were done with a vintage Esterbrook 357 which is on its last tines and starting to scratch and splat.  ;)

Hope it's useful!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:20:15 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 01:00:26 PM »
@Erica McPhee  Thank you so much for your critique.   Yes, I do find it difficult to work on both - I have to really think about the letter forms.  I do not find this 303 scratchy but the next one.....  LOL     Thank you for the example for the copperplate s - I will work on that.   I need to get my eyes re-checked - I am having a hard time seeing the guidelines under the bond paper so for the example I used lined paper and guessed at the waistline.   Oops.  :-)    I do need to work on my spacing - and the dreaded (I mean loved) square tops.  Once again, thank you so much for your comments.   

Have an awesome day!!