Author Topic: Finetec/Nib Recommendations  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
Finetec/Nib Recommendations
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »
Santa is going to be placing an order soon....

I am wanting the Fintec 12 color Pearl set.

What nibs do you recommend using with the Finetec Pearls?

Thank You!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Finetec/Nib Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:44:07 AM »
@Terasleen :  ANY nib will work with the Finetec 12 color pearl set!  My favorite is the Brause EF66, but I've used every nib you can think of and the Finetec works well with any of them!  It's a very forgiving "ink" & you will have good results with anything that you want to try!

Janis

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 09:15:10 AM »
That's great to know!

I only have one holder (JNB...Turned wood oblique holder H114) fitted for the Nikko nib.  The only nibs I have are the Zebra G, Nikko G, Tachikawa G, Hiro 40, Hunt 513ef, Hunt 101.

Please correct if I am wrong, but I don't think the Brause EF66 will fit my holder.  And that is the nib I hear/read everyone uses with the  Finetec.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
I like to use a blanzy 2552 with my finetec golds. For iron gall ink I use a blanzy 605, a bit harder. Both of them fit in the same habitual holder, but they are vintage.
Brause 66ef would not fit the same holder as a Nikko G, but I have managed to force it a bit into a speedball plastic cheap oblique.
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
I use Finetec with a lot of different nibs, like the others said too! Finetec is more forgiving than most metallic inks. Still, I find that a nib that normally gives a thicker hairline works nicely with metallics – less risk of dry upstrokes (don't we hate those??). For example the Brause Blue Pumkin. It also depends on the paper – on a very smooth paper, a finer nib will do. If you have rougher paper, better use a bolder nib imho!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:42 PM »
Relieved to know I don't need to buy a new holder with different nibs, right now, to be able to use the Finetec.

Thank you @Inked botanicals @Estefa @JanisTX

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:57:36 AM »
@Terasleen :  The nibs that you have, Zebra G, Nikko G, Tachikawa G, Hiro 40, Hunt 513ef, Hunt 101, will ALL work with the Finetec!  I have the same JNB nib holder that you have and I have used the Brause EF66 nib in it, with no problems!  I use the Speedball plastic holder more than anything else & I have found that it works with all of the nibs you have & with the Brause EF66 nib!  The Speedball is a very inexpensive nib holder, but I find it to be very forgiving & useful!

Happy lettering!

Janis

Offline Daniel Mastrofski

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Daniel Mastrofski
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
I am curious to know what everyone's technique is for mixing water with the Finetecs?
I have been just adding a few drops of water and stirring it up with a toothpick...
Is this what I'm supposed to do?  I've been able to get some nice results so far but
don't know if I am putting in too much or too little water.... 
Sometimes the ink flows, sometimes it doesn't.....
Instagram : @danielmastrofski

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 12:33:10 AM »
I am curious to know what everyone's technique is for mixing water with the Finetecs?
I have been just adding a few drops of water and stirring it up with a toothpick...
Is this what I'm supposed to do?  I've been able to get some nice results so far but
don't know if I am putting in too much or too little water.... 
Sometimes the ink flows, sometimes it doesn't.....

You add water and stir it up with a paintbrush. Then load the paint on the underside of your nib. If it doesn't flow well, it's probably too dry. Add more water.