Author Topic: Cursive is History  (Read 1115 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Cursive is History
« on: October 12, 2022, 04:50:41 PM »
From the October, 2022 issue of The Atlantic

Amazing. Thoughts?

(Click on the images to enlarge)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Re: Cursive is History
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 05:57:02 PM »
Thank you for posting up this article! Its subject has been much on my radar lately, and I recently read The History and Uncertain Future of Handwriting, by Anne Trubek.  Because of my own love of handwritten letters, whether they have been executed with beautiful penmanship or not, I had been hoping the book would have been an apologetic for keeping the technology alive. Instead [*** spoiler alert ***], the “Uncertain” in its title may well have been replaced with “Doomed.”

As for the thoughts you’d requested, in my opinion it would be wonderful for more people to enjoy and share in appreciation of handwriting – the aesthetics, history, nostalgia, sentiments, etc. Yet, I don’t feel overly concerned about its likely demise. @K-2 could probably correct me here, but I believe some systems of writing had completely disappeared from areas of the world in past history.  I just can’t fathom what it would take to hold back the tsunami of forces that may ultimately force the passing of cursive and perhaps any style of handwriting. The commensurate losses described in this article, though, resonate with me.   

The author’s comments, “I am noticing you … I touched it and I hope it touches you,” is what we who have retained or developed the skill of cursive writing can all continue to do.  And while there are still those of us remaining who can decipher it, what a wonderful opportunity for intergenerational connections! Just this morning I posted a short letter, written in Spencerian script, to my 20-year-old Great Nephew. If he is unable to read it, I’m almost giddy imagining who he may reach out to for uncovering its mystery! Additionally, it may be his first introduction to seeing something new and worthy of his attention. We all still have such opportunities to bring something unique and pleasing into the world and into other human soul's lives. 

Now moving on to The Missing Ink, The Lost Art of Handwriting and Why It Still Matters, by Philip Hensher.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 12:07:32 AM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Mark M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cursive is History
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 05:58:32 PM »
@Zivio
You wrote "I just can’t fathom what it would take to hold back the tsunami of forces that may ultimately force the passing of cursive and perhaps any style of handwriting. The commensurate losses described in this article, though, resonate with me."
I see this progression a bit differently....
My wife and I are of the opinion that society as a whole is facing a very strong possibility, even the likelihood, of the collapse of the electrical power grid, given the progression of world events of late.
This is a big factor in our decision to transition from suburban living to  tiny house and  homesteading lifestyle.
In the absence of the electrical grid, computers, printers and phones will be irrelevant, leaving handwriting as the viable option for long-distance communication.
We believe a resurgence of hand-operated methodology is in our future, so that's what we are preparing for.
Mark M