Author Topic: What are you working on improving right now?  (Read 25751 times)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: What are you working on improving right now?
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2015, 05:43:01 PM »
I'm using the one from the collection on IAMPETH's site.  It's labeled 'Ornamental Penmanship Capitals by H.P. Behrensmeyer.'  Do you know where I could find other collections?

Ah yes, I know that alphabet.  I've been lucky enough to seem some Henry Behrensmeyer originals, and his work is distinguished by an exceptionally light, delicate touch.  He used a version of that type of P for his signature on the cover of "Lessons in Practical Penmanship", by the way (see below).

I don't know where you might find a collection of Behrensmeyer's work, although there are some nice examples in Blosers "Lessons in Ornamental Penmanship", but there's a fine selection of capitals from plain to ornate in the "New Spencerian Compendium" plates 19-24.  The Madarasz book and Jones' "95 Lessons" are other good sources, as is Zaner's OP book which contains a few upper case alphabets by Lupfer.

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »
I'm using the one from the collection on IAMPETH's site.  It's labeled 'Ornamental Penmanship Capitals by H.P. Behrensmeyer.'  Do you know where I could find other collections?

Ah yes, I know that alphabet.  I've been lucky enough to seem some Henry Behrensmeyer originals, and his work is distinguished by an exceptionally light, delicate touch.  He used a version of that type of P for his signature on the cover of "Lessons in Practical Penmanship", by the way (see below).

I don't know where you might find a collection of Behrensmeyer's work, although there are some nice examples in Blosers "Lessons in Ornamental Penmanship", but there's a fine selection of capitals from plain to ornate in the "New Spencerian Compendium" plates 19-24.  The Madarasz book and Jones' "95 Lessons" are other good sources, as is Zaner's OP book which contains a few upper case alphabets by Lupfer.

That's very helpful.  Thank you, Andy.

A while back, I downloaded and printed some pieces by Madarasz and uppercase alphabets by Behrensmeyer and Zaner.  I keep them with my practice paper and practice something from them when I feel like it.

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2015, 01:49:05 AM »
Decreasing the height of the first part of 'y.'  I'll write 'hy' and flip it, and the 'y'-turned-'h' will have a mountainous small part.

On the plus side, I'm getting a better understanding of the feel of the Spencerian arm-motion.

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2015, 02:43:47 AM »
Right now, 'f' and 'm' (and all sorts of other stuff, of course).

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »
Decreasing the height of the first part of 'y.'  I'll write 'hy' and flip it, and the 'y'-turned-'h' will have a mountainous small part.

On the plus side, I'm getting a better understanding of the feel of the Spencerian arm-motion.

Good luck! I like doing that exercise to look at my y's. I have the opposite problem of the first part of my y being too short haha.

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

Good luck! I like doing that exercise to look at my y's. I have the opposite problem of the first part of my y being too short haha.

It's a tricky thing.  I think it's interesting how it can look almost perfect the right way up, and so hideous upside down.  It really makes me appreciate calligraphers from the southern hemisphere.  They always have to work on it very hard or else everybody in the northern hemisphere will notice it right away.  I feel sorry for any southern hemisphere calligraphers who receive my pathetic 'hy' combinations.

(Yeah, I used to watch British 'Top Gear.'  Not very fond of it now.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:53:52 PM by Matthew_R »

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2015, 01:54:12 AM »
That seldom-used 'r' (I'm working on ornamental penmanship).  I haven't used it before, and I'm finding the top part deceptively tricky to learn.  I like how naturally horizontal and flowing a compound exit-stroke looks with it, though.

Also, hairlines.  Mmmmm...hairlines...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:59:39 AM by Matthew_R »

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2015, 12:20:39 PM »
Consistency!

Offline Pittipat

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
I feel like I am working on everything! Hahaha - lets, see... I need to work on consistency, the slants and those darned ovals.  I find my hand/arm a bit shaky which I guess would mean that I need to do warm ups first? 
Wife, Mother, Home Baker, Craft Geek, Bluemoon-Blogger, Frustrated singer and Calligraphy Newbie
mommy blog * instagram * twitter

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2015, 04:42:31 AM »
Turning my body into an ornamental-penmanship machine.  I changed my hand position, tonight, based on something I read here and saw in 'The Madarasz Book.'  It helped massively with all sorts of things.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:33:40 AM by Matthew_R »

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
Refining my hairlines, again.  I'm finding that when I take care of those, many other problems sort themselves out.  Mmmmm...fine hairlines...

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »
Okay, I've got a new one ... I took a workshop on italic miniscules with Elmo van Slingerland and his pen manipulation techniques and hooooooly craaaaap i need to practice for 300 years! twisting the pen while making a stroke ... it'll kill me.

Offline wonner

• Freshman Member
  • breathe
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
I am doing exercises to involve more of my upper body, especially shoulder and arm, in my writing.

I have always struggled with having learned to write "with your arm on the desk", and want to develop a freer more gestural style.

Old dogs don't always like new tricks.

W
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. -- Chinese Proverb

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Arm movement, arm movement, arm movement!

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »
Arm movement, arm movement, arm movement!

*Said in a Dalek voice* ;)
Andrew

@andrewdh