Author Topic: Vintage nib prices on ebay  (Read 59918 times)

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
Re: Vintage nib prices on ebay
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2021, 04:49:49 PM »
Is there anyone who is maintaining the records here??
I am curious.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2021, 08:08:22 PM »
What do you mean by the records?  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2021, 06:50:11 AM »
Sorry Erica  ;D !! Continuing the thread to archive all the present Nib prizes and the present values today.
That is what I meant by KEEPING THE RECORD OF PRIZES.

Thank you for your answer!!

Regards,
Cyril.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2021, 11:41:34 AM »
Oh OK! Thank you! I do not think anyone is doing that.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2022, 10:32:44 AM »
I would love to see  if you folks come back here and talk about you recent Pen hauls.
I got 14 gillott's 303  *Vintage* 45 nibs for £23 ( Ebay )last week.
I have not seen the nibs  yet but waiting for them, but they are  from the oldest stock with the crown emblems Of Royal decree to the royal CD marks.

I got a Gillott's 404 M *Vintage* box with 100 nibs for £39.00 (Ebay) today but they are not Fine Flex but medium I guess.
I have already a sample of the same box and they are amazing fine writers. 
But I still determined  I get them so I got them!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 02:37:53 PM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2022, 02:40:21 PM »
I would love to see  if you folks come back here and talk about you recent Pen hauls.
I have not seen the nibs  yet but waiting for them, but they are  from the oldest stock with the crown emblems Of Royal decree to the royal CD marks.

I got a Gillott's 404 M *Vintage* box with 100 nibs for £39.00 (Ebay) today but they are not Fine Flex but medium I guess.
I'm not sure what nib you are referring to regarding the Gillott 303 with crown emblems of Royal decree to the royal CD marks. Are these marks on the nibs? I've never seen a
g303 with any marks like that. Do you have a photo?

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2022, 10:21:18 AM »

I'm not sure what nib you are referring to regarding the Gillott 303 with crown emblems of Royal decree to the royal CD marks. Are these marks on the nibs? I've never seen a
g303 with any marks like that. Do you have a photo?

Hi Mike, I could not come back soon to reply, as I did not received it until  this morning.
So at last I got it today. When I  opened it I was amazed by them. They were of two batch in 303. One is very antique than the other (They are the ones with the "CROWN EMBLEM"it)
and the other belongs to the same time from the look no emblems of the crown. Some with bears of some rusty marks as signatures of time. So I sorted them out to give a "WD 40 bath" and wipe out any removable rust.

I found this details from a pen supplier" He listed his pens under this Quotes. For Gillott's 292 school pen.

"By Royal Decree: The King of England appointed Joseph Gillott and Sons to be "steel pen manufacturers in ordinary to his majesty". Joseph Gillott was and is renowned as one of, if not the, top pen makers of all time. Known for the outstanding quality of his finished product, J. Gillott sold pen nibs (or points) throughout England and imported virtually millions to the USA. J.G. made a huge variety of points for specialty applications such as bank clerks, map makers, the finest hands at copperplate and calligraphy as well as points for the average penman. The 292 Points were "...Public Pens, which are especially adapted to their use, being of different degrees of flexibility, with FINE, MEDIUM, and BROAD POINTS, suitable for the various kinds of writing taught in Schools" and used through out industry. These nibs are the 292 FINE point."

I am having  this Pen THE PUBLIC SCHOOL PEN 292 F/ with the crown emblem too. It was a lucky find and GillottS 3 magnum with the Crown.

I am attaching  this post with  photo to show these three pens. Magnum in the middle two School pen on the left and the rest id 303 . all with the royal crown at the base down. It seems a quite interesting pens has great history. The seller did not know what he was selling. Even he listed the pen as GILLOTT'S 03. It was amazingly no competition for 48 nibs. As the pictures showed no evidence they are 303 but my eyes scanned  the crown on one nib. Then I guessed it must be a be a treasure. Finally I won the bids and asked  the seller if the nibs marked 303??? Not 03??? Then  he answered me he had a bad mistake of typing error and will it affect the deal. So I said not at all.:-) it was a blessing.
 Quite interesting  nibs. I believe and as I have seen, there are several more other nibs belongs to this limited crown productions too in Gillotts.You can see some 1800Yrs. old pen Packets they used for SO nibs packed by ten and then they shipped in boxes  too. They bear the Crown SO ( Not CD. sorry I put it wrong before ) It is with the Crown and S & O embossed on the nibs.
I'll do a writing sample one day but I am sure in my level of expertise it never will justify it's quality that could  put on a paper as an expert would do.  :D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 03:03:01 PM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2022, 11:22:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2023, 07:47:33 PM »
Gillott was first granted a royal patent by Queen Victoria in 1840. Here is an ad from 1840 announcing it.

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/