Author Topic: Wax Seals that can handle USPS?  (Read 12592 times)

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
Wax Seals that can handle USPS?
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:58:52 PM »
Hi friends!!

I'm toying with the idea of putting wax seals on my Christmas cards this year.  I've received some seals through exchanges that have gone through the mail okay, and some that haven't.  Does anyone have any ideas about how to make sure that the wax seals make it?  Or, are there any super sturdy types of wax to use?
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
Re: Wax Seals that can handle USPS?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:22:05 PM »
I have used both types of waxes. The "authentic" or "typical" wax sticks and The "glue gun sticks".

The typical wax sticks when harden, will break. While the glue gun sticks when hard, are pliable.

When I used the typical wax through the mail, they had gotten torn off.  The glue gun sticks went through fine. I don't know why it makes a difference to the postal system, but for me, it did.

I use the glue gun sticks for mailing and the "typical" wax for hand delivered. 

The glue gun sticks come in an endless array of colors.

If I am only sealing a couple of envelopes, I will melt the stick over a flame...not IN the flame... just over it and twirl the stick till just before it drips, then apply it to the envelope. More than a few, I will use a low temp glue gun.

I have never used the pre-made "stick on" wax seals.

Hope that may help some.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »
I've used the peel-and-seal wax seal on the outsides of invites, and reportedly they made it just fine- so I'd feel comfortable doing it again.  I, too, like the glue gun sticks and also advise against the real wax because of breakage.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:37:31 AM »
Hi friends!!

I'm toying with the idea of putting wax seals on my Christmas cards this year.  I've received some seals through exchanges that have gone through the mail okay, and some that haven't.  Does anyone have any ideas about how to make sure that the wax seals make it?  Or, are there any super sturdy types of wax to use?
I use wax from Atlelier Gargoyle. They are taking a break from selling retail, but it can be found here at JNB:

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=sealing+wax

It makes it through the PO machines as a rule.

One tip to increase the odds of your seal making it through the system is to place the seal towards the middle of the back of the envelope, thus avoiding collision with the cancelling machine in the top inch or so and the barcode imprint in the bottom half inch or so.

Don't forget to add the extra 21 cents postage if you use a seal (it's considered a rigid object).

If you like, pm me your name and address and I'll send you an envelope with a seal for you to consider. (hope it makes it).

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:40:54 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »
Thanks @AnasaziWrites for mentioning the wax that we sell.  Every time I order from Atelier Gargoyle, Linnea uses a seal on the box.  I have never received an order with the seal missing...the stuff always stays where you put it. 

Oh and the wax is also scented with essential oils - the red is a delicious cinnamon scent! 

Cheers, Michael

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
Thank you all for the input!!  I will let you know what I decide...with pictures!  ;D
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline TeganL

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 01:07:19 AM »
I can't help but wonder how rough the modern postal system must be on letters such that wax seals would be delivered broken!
Imagining back literally hundreds of years ago, an important letter/document being carried by courier(s) perhaps on foot, on horseback, traveling rough for days/weeks/months, the letter packed away in a bag but the seal remains unbroken, yet fast forward to the 21st century and a letter that takes 2 days to travel the width of a country is subjected to such treatment that the seals of old break? #mindblown