Author Topic: Calligrapher Videos - Watch some great talent!  (Read 61528 times)

Offline JessicaC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • My card-making gallery
Re: Calligrapher Videos - Watch some great talent!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 01:52:41 PM »
Marlean Tucker is one of my favorite calligraphers to watch on YouTube.  She is one of the reasons I decided to get back into calligraphy and try pointed pen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FZLF7LfZxE

She also has a website http://www.marleantucker.com/

Schin should be on here, too!  She is another calligrapher who inspired me to try pointed pen and I was a bit star-struck to find out that she's a member of this forum.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izm-DGYJsYo&list=LLYO58CSqBde22q7hy2JEAOQ&feature=share&index=7

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »
Aw you're super sweet Jessica! <3

I bought an Ackerman pump pen maybe 2 years ago and didn't care much for it. The reason is that the nib stays in the pen and thus with all the ink flowing through it etc, it is not cleaned as often as it should be. You can take it out and clean it, but then it defeats the purpose of it being convenient and 'on the go'. For that reason I didn't care for all the disassembling all the time and the nib also rusts faster if kept unclean. It was more convenient for me to just use a dip nib. However, that years ago and maybe the design has been fixed. I would be quite interested if anyone has any recent experience with em as the concept of a 'go anywhere dip nib' is very cool!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 03:36:55 AM »
Thank you, Schin, that is good to know! I guess I won't order one for now … except someone has some recent information / better experience?
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:41 AM »
Marlean Tucker is local to me.

Schin I have watched some of your videos, had no idea you were right here! Very nice. I subscribed to your youtube channel now.

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 11:45:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing the videos. I noticed in Brad's video on page 1, the writer holds his pen almost vertically. Is that how we're supposed to hold the pen for copperplate? Or only for flourishing? Thanks.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 03:12:56 AM »
Thanks for sharing the videos. I noticed in Brad's video on page 1, the writer holds his pen almost vertically. Is that how we're supposed to hold the pen for copperplate? Or only for flourishing? Thanks.

SueL he usually always writes at that angle the nib he is using is a very flexable nib so it shades really easy. You will also notice he uses a straight holder. You should google him he has some fabulous  videos. If you did not know his name is Paul Antonio. But I don't know about everyone else I use about that same angle, but keep in mind he is my pseudo mentor.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 03:26:37 AM »
As a matter of fact he even hold his stylist like that when writing on his Ipad. He is unbelievable

http://vimeo.com/36068902

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 03:45:16 AM »
Thanks Brad. Paul Antonio's work is fabulous.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 12:42:30 AM »
Check this out from Zilller. Interesting upstrokes (really down strokes) just watch

http://www.zillerofkc.com/spencerian-and-copperplate.html

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 03:12:47 AM »
Check this out from Zilller. Interesting upstrokes (really down strokes) just watch

http://www.zillerofkc.com/spencerian-and-copperplate.html

To avoid carrying ink up out of a heavy downstroke, he is turning the hairline upstroke into a separate downstroke back into the shade. He does this every time an upward hairline would have followed a heavy downstroke. On one occasion he even reverses the linking hairline out of a letter 's'. This technique results in a five-stroke letter 'm' for example.

The avoidance of picking up ink, is usually done by lifting the pen after a heavy downstroke and then starting the hairline upstroke as closely as possible to the preceding downstroke without touching it. In careful hands this technique can result in a virtually invisible space between the two strokes, creating the illusion of continuity. Unfortunately, most often the hairline is positioned too far from the preceding downstroke, creating an unsightly gap. This technique results in a three-stroke letter 'm' for example.

I use neither of the above techniques, as I prefer my Roundhand to be continuously flowing with as few pen-lifts as possible. My letter 'm' is produced in one stroke. If there is a small amount of ink pulled up into the hairline, it's hardly noticable and is a small price to pay for maintaining the flow of the writing IMO.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:16:09 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 04:23:20 AM »
I went back to watch the video after your explanation, I see what your saying and why he is doing it. I thought he had some wierd technique but now I understand. Thank you Ken. BTW my M's are done with 3 strokes maybe I should try your technique  to see if I can clean it up some.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
I went back to watch the video after your explanation, I see what your saying and why he is doing it. I thought he had some wierd technique but now I understand. Thank you Ken. BTW my M's are done with 3 strokes maybe I should try your technique  to see if I can clean it up some.
Brad,

This is just a personal opinion.

I am more interested in writing lettering than drawing it, and I feel that, to maintain the flow of writing, the fewer pen lifts the better. I find that this is particularly true of writing Copperplate with a flexible nib, where the constant shading/hairline ebb and flow produces better results when interrupted as little as possible. Also, it's a very tactile experience which is largely lost when repeatedly broken up with pen lifts.

I should make clear that I am talking here about the handwritten form of English Roundhand (Copperplate) and not about Engrosser's Script which is drawn, not written, and whilst looking very similar, is in fact, quite different with equally strong and valid values.

Whether you use five, three or one stroke(s) to write the letter 'm', what matters is how it looks on the page. I just get better results with one stroke.....and it's more enjoyable!

Ken

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:56 PM »
I am more interested in writing lettering than drawing it, and I feel that, to maintain the flow of writing, the fewer pen lifts the better. I find that this is particularly true of writing Copperplate with a flexible nib, where the constant shading/hairline ebb and flow produces better results when interrupted as little as possible. Also, it's a very tactile experience which is largely lost when repeatedly broken up with pen lifts.

I should make clear that I am talking here about the handwritten form of English Roundhand (Copperplate) and not about Engrosser's Script which is drawn, not written, and whilst looking very similar, is in fact, quite different with equally strong and valid values.

Whether you use five, three or one stroke(s) to write the letter 'm', what matters is how it looks on the page. I just get better results with one stroke.....and it's more enjoyable!

Ken

That is so well-said, Ken, thank you. I've had a few conversations with people (not anyone here at Flourish) who tell me I'm doing things wrong because they think Engrossers is the end-all, be-all. I think Engrossers Script is beautiful and I love how it looks, but it's just too structured for me. I like doing my e with one stroke (no pen lifts) rather than three. I'm definitely more of an English Roundhand/Copperplate practitioner.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:10:50 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:56 PM »
I agree Linda , but I think this whole time I have been trying to write engrossed script, but thinking in my mind I want english round hand. I have been trying my best to " draw" the letter. I would always think if I do it in one stroke then it would be cursive not copperplate. 

Offline DandelionInk

• Freshman Member
  • Sometimes I get lost in lettering...
    • View Profile
    • Dandelion Ink Studio
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
 Oh my...I'm speechless after watching those videos!