Author Topic: Calligrapher Videos - Watch some great talent!  (Read 61986 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Calligrapher Videos - Watch some great talent!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 03:43:54 AM »
Adorable!!! It's Paul Antonio, I guess?
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 06:15:56 AM »
Something a bit different:   ;D

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
Hi Andy, do you know also P. Unbehauen's approach to broad nib lettering? It's quite unorthodox – lots of pen turning – I like it very much and think it's quite convincing ;).

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »
Adorable!!! It's Paul Antonio, I guess?

Sorry, its none other paul antonio.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
Hi Andy, do you know also P. Unbehauen's approach to broad nib lettering? It's quite unorthodox – lots of pen turning – I like it very much and think it's quite convincing ;).

It's a bit tantalising actually, Estefa - all I've seen is what's on his kalligrafie.net site, and that isn't a great deal.  Clearly he gets an unusually dynamic line from edged pens ... it's most impressive and has a gestural feel.  In that respect his work reminds me of Rudolf Koch's vigorous black letter, which I adore.

As for the pointed nib work, Herr Unbehauen would probably say that it's handschrift rather than calligraphy, but if calligraphy means "beautiful writing" (and it does  ;)) I beg to differ.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 05:47:18 PM »
He explains his method of writing (which he claims is very probably how was written in the past, most hands in much less strokes, with lots of pen-turning and manipulating, than is usually teached today) in this book:

http://www.amazon.de/Der-Kunst-Ratgeber-Kalligrafie-Peter-Unbehauen/dp/3824112760/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397511752&sr=8-1&keywords=unbehauen+kalligraphie

I am afraid it's only available in german – if you're genuinly interested, I will try to explain his method … let me know ;)!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 01:47:23 PM »
Paul Antonio's video - Amazing! I'm hypnotized!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:54:59 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
I must know Andy or Estefa ... that video is titled, "The Joy of Writing with Fountain Pen." If that is a fountain pen -- I must have one! Anyone know what it is?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:55:44 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »
I must have one! Anyone know what it is?

Yes, Herr Unbehauen makes his own, and sells some.  He was rather unforthcoming about the subject during some chatter at another forum recently ... reading between the lines I got the impression that this type is potentially troublesome and therefore not for sale, but I may well be wrong.  The one in the video appears to have a Brause 361 steno nib, and in all probability a highly customised ebonite spoon feed the likes of which hasn't been seen for a century or so.  There's definitely scope for a DIY equivalent, but that would be for another thread.

Here's Herr Unbehauen's fountain pen sales page:
Writing instruments by Peter Unbehauen

and his Youtube channel:
Peter Unbehauen fountain pens

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »
Estefa: the book is definitely on my list of future purchases.  I can probably just about scrape by with the German but it'll be painful, so your kind offer is very much appreciated.  :)

Aah, the lure of reading, eating into writing time once again!  ;)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:20 PM »
Ooh! I get giddy thinking about it! Thanks Andy! I am going to check them out!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »
Hi Erica and Andy, I also remember reading something in another forum about the "Superflex" and "Überflex" fountain pens with flexible nibs and I think he has issues making the ink flow consistent with these. That's what you read also, Andy? Unfortunately it is not very clear what kind of nibs (regarding flex, and width of the nib points) are on his beautiful and not unexpensive fountain pens. So maybe some E-mail to him would make things a bit less vague ;)?

Andy, I will try to make a short explanation with pics but I can't promise this before in about 10 days, because here school holidays have begun and I'll be quite busy with family…

His book has a nice, short historical section in German, but all the explanations are very good illustrated with photos, so I guess it's also a good purchase if you don't understand German very well! After demonstrating the basic strokes he shows how to write his very free, artistic interpretation of Cancellaresca / Humanistic Cursive / Italic.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 05:39:09 AM »
I'm not sure that he said as much, Estefa, but it's certainly the impression I came away with.  It does stand to reason: delivering lots of ink to the nib isn't a problem as such, it's replacing it with air in the barrel in a controlled way which is going to cause headaches.  So far as I know the only feed design which is likely to be able supply ink at that rate is going to be a 19th century style spoon with a very deep channel, and they're prone to blotting every once in a while.  A breather tube ought to help in theory but the deep channel doesn't leave anywhere to put one.

The nibs on his "standard" fountain pens look to be made by Bock who have a good reputation for well behaved and finished rigid nibs ... if there's any softness it's unlikely to come close to an old gold semi-flex unfortunately.  In the videos there does appear to be an italic on offer, perhaps a 1.1mm?  As you say, an email would clear all that up.

Spoken German is usually beyond me, but if I concentrate and frown hard enough I can usually manage to read so long as it's not too technical.   ;)  It would be fascinating to see your explanation if you get an opportunity, but in the meantime, enjoy the school holidays.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 06:42:37 AM »
The thing regarding the fountain pens with flex is, generally I would be interested, but at the moment I can't afford one of the vintage pens, and don't want to invest in something maybe totally unreliable, when I can get decent results with dip pens ;). That's why I never asked more about these pens by Mr. Unbehauen!

There is also the Ackerman Pump Pen, I did some research regarding these, but they also seem to be not as great as they sound at first – they are some sort of simple fountain pen with a dip nib in front (which has to be taken out when not in use because of rusting). If anyone has an update regarding these, would be interesting too …

I'll try to make a quick info thing about P.U.'s pen-turning technique as soon as I can ;)!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »
Well, those vintage pens are nice to write with, but none of them will do what a dip nib can.  Using gouache, for instance!   ;D

Where they really do come into their own is for writing long letters (say) where constantly dipping might interrupt the flow: they must have been such a boon for clerks who spent whole days with pen in hand.  There are still reasonably priced vintage pens around: collectors are generally after the big pens in fancy finishes, so dealers will usually price down something modest looking with a #1 or 2 nib, even if it writes exceptionally well.  What you're really buying is a pleasantly springy writing experience rather than a calligraphy tool though, in my opinion.

I only heard about the Ackerman pens very recently; on the face of it they look fantastic.  If the feeds are reliable I can imagine flourishers loving them.  Definitely a product which has aroused my curiosity.