Author Topic: Latest nib experiences  (Read 20029 times)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: Latest nib experiences
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »
I thought I could recognize what makes a good nib by the shape, but I'm constantly surprised by how the most unassuming shaped nibs can turn out to be awesome!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
I just gave my Perry 120 EF a bit of breaking in and found it to be such a great nib. It is a bit deceiving. It is such a big broad nib that deceived me.  When I inked it up and used it, it produces such fine up strokes and flexes under pressure to produce such great broad down strokes. It is one of my favourites and I would love to know where to get some  more.

I don't understand. Kallipos.de states that the Perry 120EF has little flexibility. All very confusing.

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:56 PM »
I wasnt aware of that David. But I am using it at the moment and it is very flexy.  Fine hairlines on the upstroke and you can get nice wide lines on the downstroke. 

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »
Hi David
Here is a writing sample of the Perry 120.  Dont be too critical of my writing as I did it very quickly and without much regard to spacing etc.  Just tried to show you the flex I get from this nib

Regards

Laurie

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 09:04:02 PM »
Looks pretty flexible to me. According to the kallipos.de site there are a several minor variations, though it looks like the imprints rather than anything else. This potentially is a problem, inasmuch as how much credence can we give to a website that may or may not incorrectly describe the products? Mine will arrive in about 10 days. In testing them I will keep in mind the flexibility of the Gillott 303, by far my flexiest nib.

Your writing is nice! <hangs head in shame>

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
Certainly not as flexy as the Gillott 303 but fairly flexy. Certainly not stiff and I wouldnt describe as no flex.  I have an Esterbrook 357 which is the flexiest nib I have.  It is a very small narrow blue nib.  I like it but at items when I put too much pressure I get a blob of ink.  I will learn how to avoid this.

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
I just used one of my nibs and was amazed. It is a Blanzy Poure Tremplin 160. It is so good. Here is a sample of my writing with it (Please excuse the quality of the writing as i am still in my apprenticeship)  The nib just satisfies my love of the fine upstrokes and the full downstrokes.  Additionally it is so smooth. Not catching on the upstrokes which I am finding is very annoying on some nibs.

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I will leave to others with better experience but I do recognise a few that I like.  the Baignol Henry Sup. 2730,  Blanzy Plume Princesse No. 730, Hunt 101. Gillott 303 are nibs that I have tried that I think are good.  Oh yes the Zebra G which is so good for beginners.  I dont know the other and will leave to the other more experienced members of this forum.
I just gave my Perry 120 EF a bit of breaking in and found it to be such a great nib. It is a bit deceiving. It is such a big broad nib that deceived me.  When I inked it up and used it, it produces such fine up strokes and flexes under pressure to produce such great broad down strokes. It is one of my favourites and I would love to know where to get some  more.

I love the Perry 120. Very fine hairlines I would say medium flex. As to where to get more:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/UPDATE-A-dozen-Perry-Co-Elast-Pen-27-EF-Balance-S-Pen-120-EF-Indentpen2301EF-/321511597404?nav=SEARCH&varId=510392765864

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »
That's my favoured seller!

I must admit I am in two minds about posting links to these things. It is already hard enough for the few of us over in this part of the world to find sources of nibs that also come with reasonable shipping costs. Exposing these sources to the community has meant that some have dried up almost instantly. I was unable to find any #2552s for example, even though they had been fairly plentiful a few weeks earlier.

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 12:42:29 AM »
Hi David and others
I went back and retried the Sommerville Lincoln 757. It is a bit better than my original rating.  It has lovely flex and it gives medium to fine hairlines.  Have to concentrate on being liight on the upstrokes but other that a real lovely nib and holds plenty of ink
I would rate it probably 9/10 now
Here is a sample of its writing

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »
Hi David and others
I went back and retried the Sommerville Lincoln 757. It is a bit better than my original rating.  It has lovely flex and it gives medium to fine hairlines.  Have to concentrate on being liight on the upstrokes but other that a real lovely nib and holds plenty of ink
I would rate it probably 9/10 now
Thank you for referencing a very important point in searching for "good" or "best" nibs.

There is no best nib.

Some nibs are better for achieving a particular end or style of writing, on specific paper, using a particular ink or class of ink, for a particular person at a certain skill level at a point in time. Over time, just as you have found, I've found my rating of a nib has changed. The nib didn't change--I did. Perhaps what I was trying to do changed, my skill level changed, the other materials changed, and so on. A Zebra G may be a better nib for someone than a Principality, though the latter may cost ten times as much for other reasons and be considered a better nib.

I only mention this for a couple of reasons--for people with limited experience with the broad choice of nibs, don't go chasing after a nib just because someone says it's great, or the highest rank unless that person has wide and deep experience trying out these nibs and know what they are trying to do with them. Those nibs may be best for them, but not for you. By all means try out new nibs recommended highly by knowledgeable penman to see if they are right for you. And rank them for your own benefit, and, with caveats in place as to what you are using them for, for the benefit for others. I love threads like this that offer opinions as to nibs I have never tried. There are so many to try.

In the end though, don't get too hung up on what is the better or best nib. More practice will lead you to better results than a better nib.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »
I'm one of those with little experience and I agree with AnasaziWrites. There are a lot of different nibs out there and they were designed with different uses in mind. Some are good for larger shaded writing, others for mono line and everything in between. Finding the right one for your uses is a big part of the fun, for me at least.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:25 PM »
I thought I could recognize what makes a good nib by the shape, but I'm constantly surprised by how the most unassuming shaped nibs can turn out to be awesome!

Just like people!
Ev

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »
I just tried the E.C.F. Eva Extra #319 and it is amazing!!! How do you like it?
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 01:12:12 AM »
I have an 319 Eva Extra and I have given it 9/10 (my humble inexperienced rating)  I catalogue all my nibs and give them a score out of ten so that I can keep track.   I also have an Eva 323 which is like a finger and I have noted it as 9/10 also.   Also I just acquired a Musselman Perfection. Oh my god!