Author Topic: Hello from the UK.  (Read 1207 times)

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from the UK.
« on: November 29, 2017, 02:47:28 AM »
Hello,

I thought I'd be polite and introduce myself.  I'm Mark and I live in the UK.  I had an interest in handwriting and calligraphy at school, but computers took over my life and I stopped handwriting.  Now I'm re-discovering it, and I'm impressed with the amount of information that is available to learn from these days.

I am teaching myself Copperplate and Madarasz/Spencerian.  I got myself an oblique holder and a selection of nibs, just working out which one suits me best.

I'm looking forward to learning (I've already started with the Pointed Pen Nirvana videos!), and hopefully contributing one day.  At the moment I am practicing Copperplate letterforms with a 4B pencil, just getting the shapes under my fingers before I move onto ink.

Mark

PS. Erica... I may have accidentally posted this on your introduction thread too.  Feel free to delete my other post!

Offline Katie.R

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from the UK.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
Hi Mark!

Welcome, from one newbie to another. How do you like using a pencil for lettering?

Is the lead soft enough that you are able to get some line variation?

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
Welcome, Mark! I too stopped handwriting a long time ago and only relatively recently began to relearn.

Glad to have you, and look forward to your contributions.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline markc1975

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:22:30 AM »
Thanks for the kind welcome.

@Katie.R - The 4B is good for practice I think.  You can increase pressure when writing to get darker lines, though you sometimes have to draw in the thicker lines yourself.

I wrote out a bit of 'If' by Rudyard Kipling as practice.  I'll post a pic in the Kind Critique section later.  You can have a look, but I've only been doing Copperplate for a couple of weeks, so it's not perfect!

Cheers,

ash0kgiri

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 06:54:23 AM »
Warm welcome Mark :D
Good to have you back from the computers who took you away :D :D
Copperplate is a good script to start with and Madarasz can actually go very well with it. It will be a little challenging but fun to have full arm moment combined with slow copperplate writing technique.
Don't forget to visit Salman's Copperplate tutorials here --- http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0

Keep Writing,
Ashok

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 03:10:12 PM »
Hello Mark!

I'm impressed with how many calligraphers there are now! And the information seems to grow every day! I hope you are enjoying your learning and have had a chance to start with the ink.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram