Author Topic: When do you find the time?  (Read 7187 times)

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
Re: When do you find the time?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 10:10:53 AM »
Wow Christopher that's awesome. I love the fact that everything is homemade and grown by you and family. And I love the time you spend with your kids watching the birds. So cool thanks for sharing :-)
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
Thank you all for your candid responses.  :)

It is most certainly my most important priority to make sure that my children are cared for & feel loved as we are only a year into the separation & I feel like I need to ensure they are receiving enough love & play (they are 10 & 6 years old!)

However, it was also when my separation happened that I realized that I needed to start doing things that were important to me.  For many years, I was a wife, mother, worker & didn't spend much time on my soul & the things that were important to me.  This is why I signed up immediately for the calligraphy courses near me when I found them...it was like a sign!  And so calligraphy has become "my" thing that I enjoy doing for relaxation & fun.

I suppose that I'm just in a bit of a funk right now...we all have those moments, right?

The good news is that I devoted an hour last night to some practice after reading all of your wonderful & supportive posts!  :D

Thanks again all...I know this journey of calligraphy will have highs & lows but it is better to know when to step back for a bit so that you can continue to move forward! 

P.S.  Christopher - thank you so much for the offer of the tacklebox...alas, I am in Ontario, Canada so I will keep on the lookout for one here but if anyone else in the US would like to utilize your fine offer, please do so.  Again, so kind of you to offer!  :)
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
The tackle box is a good idea.  I think I would use something more like a tool box so I have storage for ink bottles, staffs, water jars etc.  I also use the multipocket portfolios for paper, guideline sheets, exemplars etc.  Got two in the dollar bins at Target and really wished I had bought more they are so useful.  These allow me to keep the larger packets of paper out of the way.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
[Quickly scribbles notes...]

Thank you! I need these tips! I am a terrible housekeeper! Part of the problem is too much stuff, second is no place to put it.

But Christopher, how do you live on such little sleep? I really need 8-9 hours. Puts a crunch in things.

Along those lines... how do you both manage computer time? Do you set aside specific hours or check it throughout the day? If I get on in the morning, it is a huge time suck and I end up doing computer work all day and waste my work and cleaning time!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
Erica,
Internet forums are not to be visited until AFTER you get your work done.

I plan 30 minutes, and 2 hours later I'm still on the computer.   :(
Do 2 of these a day, and I'm in trouble.
The problem is I'm addicted to looking at the forums at least 2x a day, if not more.
And on some forums my response is not just a few lines, I sometimes end up spending quite a bit of time thinking thru my response, especially a more complicated response, so a single reply could take me 20-30 minutes.  A few of those and my time budget is in trouble...more likely blown.
Gary

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
LOL Gary - this forum *is* my work! I don't get paid for it but I do manage it. And we are now averaging 50-100 posts per day plus 5-10 new members per day. Hooray!  ;D

But I meant my emails and FB and other internet time wasters. I am like you, once I get on, I can't get off!

I think I just lack discipline!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »
@erica - all creative people lack discipline. It's why we are so creative.  ;D
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »
@Ellen I now have a toolbox I made and why I don't have use for the tackle box, image below of the toolbox

@Erica, Not sure how I do it, always required little sleep. In regards to computer time all I do is this forum on computer. Instagram and Facebook are from phone and only when I have a few minutes of down time. I don't spend time browsing them just respond to things related to posts I make mainly.
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 02:37:04 AM »
Just like your holders, your toolbox is exquisite.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 09:29:11 AM »
Holy cow Christopher!  I hope that thing is on wheels!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 09:57:56 AM »
OOOh -- another treasure! This time a literal treasure box!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Sharyn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Quirkeries
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
I see two hours a day that are all yours. Commute. All that free time :) What do you currently do with it?
I don't know how smooth your ride is but that commute seems like a gold mine of time.
Your output may not be museum quality but certainly good enough for a letter to a friend, making out the grocery list.
A commercial fountain pen and a small lap tray and you could make nothing but OOOOO's and figure 8's.
In the end it is all practice.

Best wishes for better me time in a crazy busy life. And giant kudos for putting your kids first.

I also seriously limit my technology time.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 03:59:16 AM »
I lost my job 2 months ago, so I had loads of time to practice. But I'll start to work again next week and the times are different from my previous job, so I'll have to see how to schedule. Whew. New challenges! I don't really like change all that much ;)
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Sharyn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Quirkeries
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »
updates?

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2014, 11:28:03 PM »
I don't have kids ... I think that gives me a LOT more time than anything else!

I do have a pretty intense full-time job and I can work long hours, but calligraphy is such a good way to unwind from the stresses that often I do more practice during busy work weeks than I do otherwise.  Of course everything else falls behind - why would I do the laundry or the dusting when I could be doing calligraphy!? - but that's normal, right? ;)