Author Topic: How to Vectorize - Illustrator Question  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
How to Vectorize - Illustrator Question
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:39:57 AM »
This is what I really need to learn. This is a rough of a concept I am working on. Normally, I wouldn't do a draft in pencil but would start a draft with a pointed pen and then do around 50 - 100 versions (no exaggeration) until I had it just the way I wanted. So here is a pencil sketch of what I would like to do. I am sure if I learn Illustrator I could do either a pencil sketch or the lettering and then fine tune it in Illustrator and save myself some time. For sure, there are times when I want to do all those iterations (for practice or because I like the organic design that develops). But other times I just want to get it done!

Alan, any tips or suggestions would be most welcome!  :D

I know there are others who want to learn Illustrator. What would you hope to learn in the perfect "Illustrator for Calligraphers" class?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:45:27 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
Re: How to Vectorize - Illustrator question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
Oh yes, what Erica is describing above is *exactly* what I would love to learn to do with Illustrator.  To go from pencil sketch to finished logotype...  It would be amazing to have that knowledge.

I AM going to take the Illustrator plunge this year! 

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: How to Vectorize - Illustrator Question
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
I read this on IG recently & there seems to be 2 different camps when it comes to vectorizing in Illustrator. One camp suggests using the Width Tool along with the pen tool to create the hairlines and the swells. Another camp suggests only using the Pen Tool and literally drawing out the shapes of the letters with it (using Pen & Bezier). Both make really valid points.

I have an older version of Illustrator, so I have not had the experience of using the Width Tool (Illustrator CS 5 and up). When I vectorize, I am of the latter camp that draws out the shape of the letters. I'd love to hear from those who have had experience using the Width Tool and how it compares with just using the Pen & Bezier.

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
I'd think for something like what you posted, Erica, that using the pen and width tools would make the most sense. If you were doing something thicker like Fraktur, I'd use Live Trace and then just clean up the extra anchor points.

You can easily click and trace your letters almost as fast as writing it with the pointed pen, then micromanage all the swells and hairlines.
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
I used just a corner of your image, Erica to show how you can draw the path once (easy!) and then can adjust the widths (or curves) of everything endlessly. (Pardon the sloppines!)
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
Oooh Briana! Awesome! Thank you for that! Hmmm... I am worried once I learn how to use Illustrator I will become a lazy calligrapher! But that looks great! I'm going to have to work on that.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
Erica,
I posted a series of images explaining one of the methods I use for vector lettering. http://custom-lettering.blogspot.com/2014/03/blog-post.html

I used your lettering sketch as the image to illustrate steps of the vector drawing process. Hope this will take some of the mystery out of vector lettering.

I do want to mention that vector lettering is not meant to be a fast process. As with traditional tools it all takes time to fine tune everything for the intended use. Vector software is just another tool in the process of lettering.

Alan

I modified the blog post to include details on a compound path filter and cleanup of a line segment.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:09:40 PM by Alphabetguy »

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:24:12 PM »
wonderful tutorial Alan, thank you for sharing!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »
Wow! Fantastic Alan! So helpful. It is all a bit Greek to me right now. But I am going to study this over the weekend. It really looks amazing. Thank you for taking the time to do such an in-depth tutorial. This is *exactly* what I want/need to learn! I hope you will consider offering an online workshop!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »
Briana and Alan (and any other Illustrator afficionados),
So if you were vectorizing a completed calligraphy word, would your process be the same?

Also, which tool do you use to draw the lines?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:59:28 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
OK, now that I've had the time to go through the tutorial with my sample, I have a couple questions.

Why do you save the file as a tiff and then as a bitmap?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »
Erica,
I usually save drawing template images as bitmap tiff files to reduce the Illustrator file size. At times I use JPG images for templates but the larger the imported file size the longer it takes for the  "save file" command to cycle. Sometimes  it is necessary to use  a JPG template image to capture all the small details of the preliminary scanned art. I usually delete the template layer after the lettering is setup with all the paths in place.

As the saying goes "whatever works". Eventually by trial and error you will know which file format works best for your lettering needs with lllustrator.

BTW, I use a Wacom tablet all the time. Much easier on my wrist to draw paths, adjust points and control bezier handles with a stylus pen than a mouse or trackball.

Offline Alphabetguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »
if you were vectorizing a completed calligraphy word, would your process be the same?

Also, which tool do you use to draw the lines?

Thanks!

Everything can be drawn from scratch with the pen tool based on an imported template image. Another method is to auto trace  a high resolution image in Photoshop and import the paths to illustrator for editing. It all depends on the style of lettering you want to  produce including the amount of lettering in the composition.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 08:38:19 PM »
Thank you Alan. I appreciate your patience in answering my questions. This has been a rather large exercise in frustration. I have spent the better part of 11 hours working on an 8 letter word. I managed to get the first part done where the lines are all there but without the thicks. When I did the outline part, it added a bunch more points. So when I try to widen anything, it only pulls tiny pieces. GRRRR! I hate this!  >:(

So then I said, forget it -- I'll just do a live trace. But the live trace even picks up the pixilation or cuts off the smoothness of the letters so that isn't going to work!  Frustrated! That would be the word of the day! I'm pretty stubborn so I will learn this but it makes me crazy it is so difficult!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
Look ma, no bitmap! HAHA! I got this far. This only took me about an hour and a half. Now, I'm going to have to call it a day otherwise I really am going to need that second tablet!

This works, I'll just leave it like this. HA!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:08:13 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram