Author Topic: Home made ink reservoir - Pointed pens  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Vipul

• View Profile
Home made ink reservoir - Pointed pens
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:38:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've been frustrated by the need to repeatedly dip my pen. And if the ink is a little dilute, the sudden blob that comes on the paper when I write.

So did a lot of research, and found 2 things. Reservoir nibs, which are horrendously costly at over $5 each. And a post on the flourish forum, which has a few suggestions. After that, I experimented with quite a few things. I got a bit of thin wire and wrapped it around the nib. It helped in better ink retention but threw the balance off. Then I tried wrapping the nib (around the breather hole) with sewing thread. That held quite a bit of ink but the nibs rusted faster, since doing it every time was impossible and I had to leave the thread on. Both had their issues.

Giving it a bit of scientific thought (I'm a pilot, so do read a bit of physics and chemistry) I realised that I needed a reservoir and a way to smoothly transfer the ink to the tip. The easy answer to the second was capillary action. So with a bit of hit and miss, I developed the following method.

There is a medical tape called 'micropore paper tape', that's like thick tissue paper. It's cheap and lasts forever. I believe, there is something called carpenter's tape also, that's similar. These, basically have a very porous upper surface, and a good sticky surface. To make the ink reservoir and improve the flow of the ink is a simple procedure.

Prep the nib to remove the oil. (Whichever way works for you, Saliva, Toothpaste, Flame etc. I personally just stick it in my mouth for a couple of min).

Let it dry completely (Very important if you want to do this just once in the life of the nib. If you're willing to do it every time you use the nib, then you can use the nib slightly damp too).

Take a small sliver of the tape and stick it on the underside of a dry nib, over the slit, so that ink sticks to it and flows easily.

These are to improve ink flow and retention. The nib is ready for use. However, if you want a much bigger reservoir, with a lot of ink retention then add the following too.

You can also stick the tape wrapped around the nib, (encircling the nib) so that it forms kind of a pocket to hold the ink and let it flow. If you do this without the tape over the slit, you WILL get blobs.

That's it. For better understanding, I've added pics of each step.

Do let me know how it works for you. Feel free to ask any questions.  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:58:07 AM by Vipul »

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
Re: Improve Ink flow and retention - Pointed pens
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 05:47:50 AM »
Pure genius, Vipul!

I tried your super idea, and have been writing practice sheets with it this evening. Amazing how much more ink I’m able to use before re-dipping. I used the tape on two different nibs —the Hunt 101 and the Brause Arrow EF 66. Both worked very well, without a problem.

Thank you so much for sharing your excellent idea! I did purchase one of the metal coil reservoir nibs, but I found it threw off the pen’s balance, and I was never able to successfully use it. Because there is no extra weight with your method, it did not change the balance or weight of the nib.

Truly, pure genius! Thank you again. Life just became a whole lot more efficient at the calligraphy desk.

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 06:46:52 AM »
I have actually seen the use tape as a reservoir trick before, but never so scientifically explained.

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
How is it to clean?  Can you still just rinse and wipe?  Also can you use different inks using the same nib?
Teresa

Offline Vipul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:32:53 AM »
How is it to clean?  Can you still just rinse and wipe?  Also can you use different inks using the same nib?
Yes, I leave the tape on the nib after washing it thoroughly and then drying it completely with a cloth. Haven't had any problems with other inks. Have used Walnut, sumi, ecoline liquid watercolour, winsor and newton calligraphy ink without any problem. But you can always redo it.......takes just a couple of minutes.
Do try it and share your experience.

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:39:53 AM »
OK.  Thanks!
Teresa

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 12:30:09 PM »
What a great tip! Thanks!

Offline Wonderer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Home made ink reservoir - Pointed pens
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 03:51:47 PM »
Thank you so much for this tip! I simply stuck a paper tape on there and tested out: this method can last almost double the amount of writing without tape. Truly amazing, thank you! :)

Offline arherbgm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »
Best explanation and pics of this I've seen!  I've tried and given up using the spiral wire inserts --- for me they didn't last long because were difficult to clean and detached after a few cleanings. 

My particular story involves a broad edge pen.  I had much trouble getting ink to start with Mitchell nibs and their reservoirs. After scouring online, I found the paper/cloth tape idea.  Wrapping was the suggestion, but I am now a convert to your tiny strip!

So now I will use tape reservoirs for both broad and pointed nibs.  You are amazing.  Now, do you have any more solutions up your sleeve (I hope)?

Offline Vipul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 05:55:39 AM »
Best explanation and pics of this I've seen!  I've tried and given up using the spiral wire inserts --- for me they didn't last long because were difficult to clean and detached after a few cleanings. 

My particular story involves a broad edge pen.  I had much trouble getting ink to start with Mitchell nibs and their reservoirs. After scouring online, I found the paper/cloth tape idea.  Wrapping was the suggestion, but I am now a convert to your tiny strip!

So now I will use tape reservoirs for both broad and pointed nibs.  You are amazing.  Now, do you have any more solutions up your sleeve (I hope)?

Enjoy....Have discovered a few tricks....ask away ;)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 07:32:20 AM »
Brilliant! I have never heard of this before. I can’t wait to try it out. Thank you so much for sharing with us and for the excellent photos.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Vipul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 05:21:22 AM »
Brilliant! I have never heard of this before. I can’t wait to try it out. Thank you so much for sharing with us and for the excellent photos.  :-*
Do let me know the results :)

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »
I bought a couple of Ziller  inks and have been struggling to get them to behave.  I have been meaning to try the home made ink reservoir, so I finally decided to give it a go.  It really seems to be helping the ink flow problems I have been having with the Zillers. I think the ink is flowing much more consistently, rather than dumping out in the first couple of strokes.  Thank you so much for sharing ...I was about ready to give up on my ink!
Teresa

Offline jrvalverde

• Freshman Member
  • Crazy old person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 03:25:54 AM »
Yep! Wonderful tip. Thank you so very much. I'll have to compare it with the old metal reservoirs, but it is still something cheap and easy to do yet useful at the same time.

Offline Vipul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »
Yep! Wonderful tip. Thank you so very much. I'll have to compare it with the old metal reservoirs, but it is still something cheap and easy to do yet useful at the same time.

Thanks. Do comment on its efficacy and how it compares.