Author Topic: One of the reasons for my absence from the FF  (Read 4787 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
One of the reasons for my absence from the FF
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
I believe I have mentioned before that my wife is the director of the ballet program and artistic director of the ballet company at a local dance school. Every fall she produces The Nutcracker, and every June she produces a story ballet (or excerpts from) or some such large production. Well, after 27 years of supporting her productions, this year is a "first." She's desperate enough to include me in the production. She's producing The Fairy Doll (Die Puppenfee), a fairly uncommon 19th-century ballet which has the first scene taking place in a toy shoppe. (not a toy shop, a toy shoppe)  A cast of characters is needed including a couple of customers and their families. I am one of those characters.

Tonight is opening night and this weekend will see all of the performances.

Between helping to build sets (remember the standing desk? there were others), painting, sound editing and rehearsals, there's not been much time for anything else. But it will soon be over. It's been a great deal of fun, but it will be nice to have my evenings and weekends back.

For those who may be curious, here are a couple of photos from the dress rehearsal last night. I'm the one dressed up in the Russian shirt and vest asking the shop owner what does he have to show me. The other is the reaction of the girls to the Baby Doll starting to dance.

Andrew
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: One of the reasons for my absence from the FF
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
That looks so much fun!!!!! Calligraphy AND ballet.. talk about whole body movement! Congratulations!!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
This is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing with us! Break a leg!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:40:54 AM »
That looks brilliant!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:44:59 AM »
This is awesome to see!!! I hope you have fun, your wife is pleased and will recruit you in future productions! :)
Star

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
Oh, it looks so beautiful!  So, how did it go?  Did you enjoy the experience of performing for an audience? 

(Toy shoppes have the best toys, much more glamorous than your everyday toy shop)
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
We survived and actually had a lot of fun. The Dads who volunteered were the greatest and really committed to it. I've ended up with the writing desk, but it's sitting in my garage for the moment until I can find a place to put it. This past weekend we had a friend of my wife's come visit and we had to catch up with the last month or so of cleaning which somehow got neglected, so this past week has been busy too. But this coming week we're heading to the beach, so we can continue the recovery process.

The only real calligraphy I did for the show was to create two "Sold" signs for the dolls who were purchased. I used my Lamy Dark Lilac fountain pen ink with steel brushes on just plain foam core. That ink is amazing if you like shading. Where it puddles and then drys, the dark spot is outlined in shiny gold. I'm glad I bought a few bottles when it came out. It is an incredibly dark and rich purple with the gold highlights when it goes on thick. And I just read somewhere that it will be coming back sometime this year. It was originally released as a limited edition color, but these colors have become so popular that prices are crazy. There's a bottle on the bay right now with a Buy It Now price of $114, which is cheap compared to the other Buy it Now at $127. Wow. Maybe I need to sell one of the three I bought for just over $10 a bottle.

The attached picture shows my son in his costume as the English Customer's son. The ballet is based on the Russian version. In it the Russian customer is a vulgar but rich peasant with pretensions (that was me), and the English customer is very rich, snooty and throws his money around.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

ash0kgiri

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »
This is so amazing Andrew. Art is art and it never failed to fascinate me. Bravo :D

-Ashok