Author Topic: Calligraphy confessions  (Read 59872 times)

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
Re: Calligraphy confessions
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 02:04:33 AM »
Love this elsa. I do/not do most of them too and am glad am not the only one :)
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »
confession - spit.  i use spit/saliva, whatever you want to call it to clean my nibs.  gross, but effective.  i now have a small jar of windex on my desk to get the nibs really clean.  but the spit is uber convenient.
and i will now hide under a rock...
Me too xD it is handy, having your cleaning supplies on hand ... mouth ... whatever!
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 09:28:34 AM »
Elsa what a fabulous idea using gold on bad writing days. I'm going to start doing that. And I only practice words too and individual letters, Never ovals or whatever. I also don't understand imaginary ovals.
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
omg, you guys, i should have been asleep three hours ago but instead i'm lying here giggling about this thread. WE'RE ALL THE SAME!

i love you all!

i still haven't changed my water jar!

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Elsa!
I love your post!!
What a sweethearterrible you are.
And your Calligraphy is beautiful!

I've never been called a sweethearterrible before (giggling)! What a nice compliment about my calligraphy. Thank you, thank you!

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 10:38:08 PM »
Here's my confession.. may I be forgiven..

I have no patience for Proper Ways of Holding a Pen, or Proper Ways of Sitting, or the Exact way of doing things. Nothing is more boring to me than someone overanalyzing something and trying to put a mathematical equation to it... I mean I appreciate and read all those analytical books and they're informative for beginners, but don't tell me if I'm holding my pen wrong or my flange is wrong or whatever. In all my practice, I've used a slant guideline once and never touched a protractor and I infamously hate doing drills! I have to sit cross legged when I write!

I am well aware I should start doing these things Properly, but for me the main reason I do calligraphy is because it's fun and separate from my work life. And the moment it is no longer fun, I will stop.. and that is the moment when someone tries to put rules to what I do. Sorry for the mini rant, I received an email from someone who said I am setting a bad example with my uppercase heights.. I do handwriting people, not math equations!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »

I have no patience for Proper Ways of Holding a Pen, or Proper Ways of Sitting, or the Exact way of doing things. Nothing is more boring to me than someone overanalyzing something and trying to put a mathematical equation to it... I mean I appreciate and read all those analytical books and they're informative for beginners, but don't tell me if I'm holding my pen wrong or my flange is wrong or whatever. In all my practice, I've used a slant guideline once and never touched a protractor and I infamously hate doing drills! I have to sit cross legged when I write!

I am well aware I should start doing these things Properly, but for me the main reason I do calligraphy is because it's fun and separate from my work life. And the moment it is no longer fun, I will stop.. and that is the moment when someone tries to put rules to what I do. Sorry for the mini rant, I received an email from someone who said I am setting a bad example with my uppercase heights.. I do handwriting people, not math equations!!

schin, i don't know who that is, but i think no one can question how you beautifully execute every letter and swirl and flourish on your works.  whatever it is that you're doing, regardless if you use a guideline or not, works.  and.  they.  are.  amazing.
patricia

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »

Sorry for the mini rant, I received an email from someone who said I am setting a bad example with my uppercase heights.

Wow! Probably just jealous of your talent.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:34:32 PM by Brad franklin »

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »
I'm the exact same way Schin ::)

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 11:33:39 PM »
1. I am bad about the water thing, the real reason is when I dump out the water in the sink, then it sticks to the crud in the sink, then it looks horrible, then I have to clean the darn sink. I hate cleaning. I am getting really good at pouring the dirty water very slowly into the sink and not have any splashes now. So moral of the story, I wipe off my ink from my nib in paper towel, then use the water jar as my last hope. So I don't have to clean the water so much, or clean the sink.

2. I hate lifting my nib for every stroke, I really have no idea how many strokes most letters have, but somehow manage to create it.

3. I love angles, my former math teacher coming out, but sometimes my angles might not be the correct number based on the calligraphy police laws. Just the angle number I am aiming for today.

4. Recent confession, I had a big blob happen on the last part of my blue exchange envelope. The last part where I have already painted, added the address, added the stamp. So I just think, I will make more blobs on other parts of the envelope, then it will just blend in. Which lucky list 1 will this envelope go to?

Offline oceanchelle

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2014, 04:08:17 AM »
Ooooh a topic I can actually properly contribute to! *excited*

Off the top of my head, some of my sins are:

- I kind of dislike drills (I should be doing them more often ..)
- Im often too lazy to do the whole lifting my pen for every stroke *gasp!* which explains why my calligraphy looks a little drunk sometimes.
- Sometimes I work on the FLOOR *quehorror!* because there is too much stuff on my desk and I really don't feel like tidying up.
- Finally, that clever little step ladder bookshelf/paper sorter/ out box thing I have in my workspace - is actually there to hide a huge permanent ink mess I made when I knocked a whole bottle of chinese ink over. (oh look - pictures!)

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 04:32:06 AM »
Ooooh a topic I can actually properly contribute to! *excited*

Off the top of my head, some of my sins are:

- I kind of dislike drills (I should be doing them more often ..)
- Im often too lazy to do the whole lifting my pen for every stroke *gasp!* which explains why my calligraphy looks a little drunk sometimes.
- Sometimes I work on the FLOOR *quehorror!* because there is too much stuff on my desk and I really don't feel like tidying up.
- Finally, that clever little step ladder bookshelf/paper sorter/ out box thing I have in my workspace - is actually there to hide a huge permanent ink mess I made when I knocked a whole bottle of chinese ink over. (oh look - pictures!)

i am guilty of working on the floor sometimes too, but only when doing paper crafts :)

and i like that step ladder :)  that's a clever idea to sort of organize our hoarded stuff :D
patricia

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »

Sorry for the mini rant, I received an email from someone who said I am setting a bad example with my uppercase heights.. I do handwriting people, not math equations!!

i'm sorry but WHAT?!  THE NERVE!  remember what i told you schin...the Mongolian blood is boiling on this one!  envy, pure and simple.  how about setting a bad example by accusing people of setting a bad example...grrrr!

ok here is a good confession for me post iampeth...for a long time i did not have the skill level to use such prized vintage nibs as a Leonardt EF Principal, Gillott 303, etc.  at iampeth Rebecca Sinnen (mad talent people!!!) was so kind to give me a Gillott 604ef, a Spencerian #1 nib, and a Mussellman (what?!  i could not accept that one, way to generous!).  and i loved them!!! especially the Gillott 604ef...like buttah!!!  i even hunted for them on ebay to get a few extras.

but now that i am back at my desk practicing and addressing envelopes i am back to using my favs:  hiro 41, brause steno, leonardt drawing 30, and a brause 66ef.  i always had this thought that those vintage nibs are like the Bentleys of nibs...expensive and only the creme de la creme of letterers could use them, and a certain status was applied to those letterers that do use them.  those gifts from rebecca (along with esterbrook 357 and a few others) are in a lil box all to themselves, and i occasionally bust them out for some fun practice...

so i guess what i am trying to say (because the coffee has not yet taken affect) is that i confess to using what might be considered "beginner" nibs...and i don't care!  i like them and they work for me and my style. 

i also confess to jammin' to the new Iggy Azalea song "Work", because that's how i feel at the moment...I'm "working on my shhhhh".  and also Ariana Grande...who is she, and is she like 16 years old...i don't know but her songs make me want to shake my money maker!  tee hee!

and last confession...omg my upper back is killing me from sitting hunched over at my desk...bad posture!!! 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:41:33 AM by joi »

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »

i also confess to jammin' to the new Iggy Azalea song "Work", because that's how i feel at the moment...I'm "working on my shhhhh".  and also Ariana Grande...who is she, and is she like 16 years old...i don't know but her songs make me want to shake my money maker!  tee hee!

and last confession...omg my upper back is killing me from sitting hunched over at my desk...bad posture!!!

Yes, use nibs you prefer.

Are you listening to B96? Love that channel.

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 11:14:18 AM »

i also confess to jammin' to the new Iggy Azalea song "Work", because that's how i feel at the moment...I'm "working on my
Yes, use nibs you prefer.

Are you listening to B96? Love that channel.

ah yes...B96...guilty pleasure since 1986!!!