Author Topic: MiniSun Lightbox  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Leanda

• body in england, soul in greece
    • View Profile
    • My website
MiniSun Lightbox
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
Hello everyone, do any of you use a MiniSun Lightbox like this: http://www.valuelights.co.uk/a3-minisun-led-professional-and-creative-ultra-slim-light-box-pad.html
I'm considering getting one. I know it's basic and cheap and it's had mixed reviews on Amazon.
Is a lightbox essential in your opinion?

Offline Fay

• Freshman Member
  • Start: January 2015
    • View Profile
Re: MiniSun Lightbox
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
Haven't had any experience with that lightbox but I guess lightboxes are always good to have because they make things easier, but I think you can still get by without lightboxes. If you find it too much of a hassle to draw lines and/or use paper that's too thick to see guidelines underneath, then go ahead with the lightbox if you've cash to spare! I have a tight budget so I spend the money on other essentials... waiting for the day I can finally splurge on a lightbox!!!
Instagram: @faylligraphy

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 12:07:50 PM »
I've just acquired a light pad (Huion brand) last week and I'm so thankful I got one. I no longer need to draw guidelines manually on my practice paper. It makes addressing an envelop easier for me, too.
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »
A light box/pad, is not essential, at least for a novice like me.  But it is very helpful to be able to see the lines on the guide sheet below the paper that I am working on.  And to learn new styles, I can trace the letter much easier on a light pad.

I used to use a bright lamp above the paper, and depending on the paper used, it could be difficult to see the guide sheet below.  The heavier the paper, the harder it was to see the guide sheet.  I think 28# paper was the limit that I could see the guide sheet, and that was difficult to see.

The value of the light box/pad depends on you.  If you have a lot of trouble seeing the guide sheet, then the value of a light box/pad goes up for you.  Also depends on what you use it for, commercial (making money) or hobby.  As a hobby, I can't justify spending a LOT of $ on tools, so I have to be selective.  In fact I did not buy my light pad, my wife did as a Christmas present to me.  I would have continued to use my old thick photo light box, or no light box, as I could not cost justify the light pad that she bought me.
Gary