Author Topic: What is your current Obsession?  (Read 8251 times)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
What is your current Obsession?
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:55:01 AM »
This has come up in another thread and I thought it might be fun to open up a discussion.  Apologies if it has been brought up before.

We're all friends here aren't we?  ;)

So, would you care to share what calligraphy obsession currently occupies your every waking moment and (if you dare ) what you have bought/done to feed it?  :)

Mine is decorative envelopes and combining watercolour with calligraphy.  So far this week I have been poring over fabulous IG feeds, taken delivery of an A3 light box (win!)  kuretake 'waterproof' Sumi ink (fail) and am stalking the postie for some Koh I Noor ink as recommended by EricP... :o

Nikki x

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: What is your current Obsession?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
Haha!  :)

As mentioned elsewhere I have a breeding colony of reed pens on my hands at the moment.  This is a classic case of displacement activity since there are much more pressing things to do, but it's a satisfying ten minute project and pretty much free to boot.  The last few have springy metal reservoirs which works well, but there's no getting around the fact that these pens are lousy unless you work on a steeply inclined board.  ;)

What prompted this flurry of activity was a reproduction of the word "the" found in an old calligraphy book, as written by Ward Dunham.  Simple as that.  Thanks to Google and a little serendipity I soon found my way to Linnea Lundquist (Ward Dunham's partner and the other half of Atelier Gargoyle), who has an extraordinary black letter / secretary hand / Gothic cursive hybrid script going on.  Well, it makes a change from Spencerian!

Expenses recently have been minimal: two pads of heavy watercolour paper going for half price.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
Gilding and illumination! I am absolutely obsessed with it and have bought all the books I can find about it. I have all the tools ready and have dabbled, and I would love to do more, but alas work is busy and my evenings are filled up with boring wedding work. So all I can do is look at my poor dusty writing desk and dream about gold leaf, instacoll and painting... sigh!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 03:20:17 PM »
I signed up for a paper making class in June that I cannot wait to take! So I've been obsessively reading about it (anyone else dabbled in this at all? Any resources you have?)

Other than that I have been obsessed with using gouache and watercolors and making different colors and just having fun with practicing in different colors.

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
Watercolors and lettering and illustrations! I'm such a frustrated "artist" but, I am thankful I was blessed to even master stick figures!  ;D
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:09:14 PM »
I'm dying to learn floral watercolor and I've been googling and youtube-ing but I still haven't given it a go.

Offline aliceedang

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 06:21:36 PM »
I'm currently obsessed with floral watercolor and have taken a class. But it definitely takes a lot of practice because I can't get the flowers to look right. I seriously want to go out and buy new watercolor paints from Winsor Newton. My current palette from Michael's aren't getting me the colors and effect I want haha

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
W&N Cobalt Turquoise Light gouache.  I've had it and used it here and there, but it must be because its warmer and summer is almost here...but i am LOVING it right now, utterly obsessed...and using it tone on tone, with a PS Pool envelope...swoooooon!!!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:31:26 PM by joi »

Offline SarahParsons

• Freshman Member
  • www.calligraphywithlove.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy With Love UK
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 05:04:38 AM »
I can't get enough of gold pearl ex at the moment. I got some gorgeous supplies from Melodies Graphiques recently so am happily playing with them, favourites are brause 33ef nib, baignol and farjon nib, J Herbin metallic ink and a gorgeous ceramic inkwell.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 05:20:46 AM »
Obsessed right now with making inks.  I am making inks for calligraphy from anything and everything I can lay my hands on.  Met some Miniature painters on my holiday and instead of spending time admiring their work, I spent time discussing paint making and the possibility of converting it to dip pen ink :)

Window sill is covered with bottles in various stages of fermentation.  Note to self and everyone out there thinking of this... natural dye inks really stink :)

Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 08:36:09 AM »
I'm obsessed with finding new patterns (repeating patterns, wreaths, etc.) to put on envelopes and address over...typically I do a color on the bottom and BPW over the top.  I'm also obsessed with figuring out which ink types jive well with the BPW...gouache does not.  FW works pretty well, but it's always really thin for me...so I have to mess with it before I use it. 

All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

scrapbookmom

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »
Elizabeth, I know what you mean about envelopes.  I have been making envelopes all week with the templates from Paper Source.  It is such fun.  I haven't tried to do too many in patterns, just in case the postal service doesn't get it through the readers, but after seeing your envelope, I think I'll try making more with patterns. 
  Agnes

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
Agnes!

I'm glad I'm not the only one!  Making envelopes is a lot of fun!  (Have you tried an envelope punch yet?  They're amazing!) (And, Sally Foutz is amazing for introducing them to me and fueling the obsession...haha!)

I haven't had trouble with the post office delivering any of my crazy mail yet (maybe I just jinxed myself).  I think as long as you keep the address format the same (Name/Street/CityStateZip), the envelope paper is thick enough so that it doesn't crunch up, and all of the script is readable, there's most likely not going to be a problem.  USPS is slowing winning me over.  ;D
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 01:06:41 PM »
I LOVE this thread! Like Schin I am obsessing over gold gilding right now. I LOVE it!

But mostly, I am also obsessing over watercolor and working on Issue 3 of Dasherie which is a watercolor/calligraphy wonderland!

I signed up for this class which has been great so far! Yao Watercolor Class. I'm anxiously awaiting the floral part!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

scrapbookmom

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
Hi, Elizabeth,
  An envelope punch?  Is it something you'd find at Michael's or Hobby Lobby?  I've never heard of it before, but it sounds great.  I have an Evolution embossing machine, so if it is a die cut, maybe it will work on that?  You have picqued my interest!!!
  Thanks!
     Agnes