Author Topic: Being self-taught  (Read 820 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Being self-taught
« on: March 09, 2022, 10:14:09 AM »
Being self-taught isn't necessarily a bad thing.
I know that being taught in person by a skilled craftsperson in Calligraphy and Penmanship, is the ideal situation as flaws and errors can be picked up and corrected simply.
However, with a bit of patience and perseverance it's possible to self-teach. In fact, it's sometimes preferable as there are some practitioners out there whose work is inferior and who are passing on their faults to beginners. It can take some time to develop the eye to discern between the good and the not-so-good. There's no regulation and there are many out there just looking for a quick buck.
Take advice from someone whose work you admire and respect or do the following -
For Beginners - a personal method
As regards learning Copperplate (English Roundhand) this was my method, years ago. it was a bit laborious but it did work.
Working from exemplary lettering in The Universal Penman I wrote out the whole minuscule alphabet a few times at x height 8mm. I then studied each letter carefully, being really critical. There were one or two letters which were OK first time. These I put, mentally ,to one side and wrote out just the remaining letters again. I did this repeatedly, discarding the letters which looked Ok until I was left with two or three letters which still gave me trouble, After repeatedly writing just these letters, I finally arrived at the point where I was happy with the whole minuscule alphabet and could write it all easily, without too much trouble. I then repeated the whole process with the majuscules. Once I had the whole alphabet down, I them moved onto combinations of letters and finally, words.
If this is done assiduously, it's possible to self-learn Copperplate lettering in this way and It will stay in the memory and can be used as required, without constant reference to exemplars.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Being self-taught
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 02:11:36 PM »
Excellent advice Ken. I am an example of what not to do. I was self taught for many years (decades) but didn’t do what you suggest - I did not study the letterforms. I looked at them often enough for sure. But I didn’t really STUDY them. So I wasn’t truly seeing what I thought I was.

What resulted was years of experience practicing mediocre letterforms. It wasn’t bad calligraphy, it just wasn’t good Copperplate (in my case, Engrosser’s Script). But then I went back and *did* study the letterforms and it changed my entire hand for the better. I had to relearn Copperplate but it was worth it.

Thanks for sharing!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 12:08:02 AM »
You had me at "self-taught," Ken! Being a lifelong autodidact, from personal interests through a professional career, has served well and adds a component of satisfaction and joy for me. While the gold standard of learning from a skilled master would no doubt be a great benefit, it is just not in the works for me at this juncture.

I like the descriptions of how you went about your learning and have  picked up some good ideas from it.

And your contributions on this forum have always been a great inspiration! Keep doing and sharing what you do, dear soul.

With respect,
Karl
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 12:39:44 PM »
Excellent idea Ken!!!
I am on the self-taught  path for sometimes. But my progress is very slow...But I am happy for what I have done so far. But I need to speed up.
I am struggling now in between few styles of writing methods as I am getting easily board when I keep to one calligraphy. Ex. Copperplate and then I try to go into something else.
I highly value your method of self-taught. I am going to do it and see how it works. I am sure this is the way to go back to a flow and improve my writing.
Thank you again for the share!!!

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 06:07:22 PM »
Hello,

A little after last post in topic, but ....

I too am on the road for self-teaching/learning, and I have to say I am enjoying it immensely. Due to personal circumstances, it isn't possible for my asking for help, either online through the hand of a master, or in person at my home.
Having read what Master Ken Fraser has written above, I was fortunate enough to watch two youtube videos, one particular video from Scribe Paul Antonio, and one video from a lady called Maria Montes, both who I love to watch as often as possible. Both of them touched on doing what is written above, and I have been doing very similar. The difference is - I had (I am not going to say study the form as that would show ignorance) been religiously looking at the form of the Copperplate alphabet and I decided to copy the six (6) letters of the alphabet that I could visually see myself struggling with. I am still not at a place whereby I can put, say, three (3) in my pocket feeling I had, not mastered them, but to a point I could say I'm happy I can write them, but with a few more weeks writing them down they'll be where they need to be, I hope, but I am as happy as a sandboy to think that I had decided to do what I do prior to video viewing or reading what has been written above. I can't be as stoooopid as I look, huh. ;D

« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 12:43:10 PM by Mark T »
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 12:10:08 PM »
I am self-taught.  I was pretty uncertain about that “foundation”.  I learned Copperplate so that I could address my daughter’s weddings invitations. She was in one of the biggest sororities at the University of Texas (“UT”), marrying a guy from one of the biggest fraternities at UT.  There was not enough money in North America to fund that whole endeavor. I couldn’t make her dress.  I couldn’t fix the food for 300+ guests.  I couldn’t arrange her flowers.  But, I come from a family that has pretty handwriting. I thought that maybe I could teach myself calligraphy. I undertook learning Copperplate. It wasn’t easy! I often felt that I was at war. I finally got confidence enough to start to letter on envelopes. I asked the groom’s parents for their guest list. I didn’t know any of those people!  If I messed up, it wouldn’t matter to me! 😃. By the time that I finished their list, I was pretty confident. I addressed my list without concern.  I now supplement my retirement with calligraphy work “on the side”! The 2 “hands” that I have are Copperplate and basic Italic. I only love Copperplate! 😃. Isn’t calligraphy fun?!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 12:33:09 PM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this @JanisTX ! What a fabulous adventure.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 12:43:11 PM »
When I was learning Copperplate, I practiced 1 hour a day Monday-Thursday. I practiced 4 hours on Friday, 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. My daughter asked me, “Mom?  Are you enjoying this?”  I looked at her like she was crazy!  “Enjoying this?? No, I’m in battle!  I’m at war!!”  It really felt like that!  I’m glad that I persevered!

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 01:04:10 PM »
When I was learning Copperplate, I practiced 1 hour a day Monday-Thursday. I practiced 4 hours on Friday, 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. My daughter asked me, “Mom?  Are you enjoying this?”  I looked at her like she was crazy!  “Enjoying this?? No, I’m in battle!  I’m at war!!”  It really felt like that!  I’m glad that I persevered!

Well, I don't have a routine for what I am doing at the moment, but I do now. I will try hard to follow your routine and see 'where I land'.
1 hour a day Monday-Thursday. 4 hours on Friday, 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday (I will be truthful and say that if 'live' forecast of Rugby, Football (What Americans call 'soccer') Formula 1 or the films 'The Sting' or 'Where Eagles Dare') is on the telly, then, the 8 hours may be less.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 01:30:00 PM »
I adore soccer/English football!  I root for Everton & Chelsea. (I adore the Toffees, but they’re in some kind of death spiral! I don’t know a solution to whatever is wrong with them!). You can’t be distracted by life/football/more entertaining things to do!  You’re at war!  There’s no “down time”!  You either are disciplined or you’re a wanna-be!  Buckle down & go to war!! 😃. You can do this!!

P.s.

My kids played soccer & that’s how I became a big fan!

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 04:46:43 AM »
@Janis - I thought for a moment then, that you said you were a football fan, but when I saw you support Everton,......  :P :D ;D Just kidding.
The Blue side of Liverpool have never been the same since Moyles left to go to manage Man United. What a manager he was for Everton. Well respected at the time. The club started its demise when he left. Kenwright is despised by many/most fans, and every single week at home games, songs/chants are sung about him. (not the type of chants for the flourish forum. if you catch my drift) but your woes at the moment are, imo (and most of Everton fans) stemmed by Moshiri poking his nose in and restricting the clubs choice of managers preferences for new players.
Just thought you'd like to hear an opinion from a football fan this side of the water. I would say football fan, but to coin my own phrase, as above, I've been a staunch wolves fan since the late 60's. ;D
As for Chelsea,..... maybe another time.
I fixed bayonets at 0730 this morning on my 6 letters, and I'll post a picture of them in a week or so and ask for comments on where I can improve.