Author Topic: Dick Jackson's 'Copperplate Calligraphy' Book  (Read 9166 times)

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
Dick Jackson's 'Copperplate Calligraphy' Book
« on: May 14, 2015, 03:39:53 AM »
I recently heard from my local guild that Dick Jackson's Copperplate Calligraphy is back in print.

(Click on image to see on Amazon.)

Does anyone have this book? Is it well known? How does it compare to Eleanor Winter's Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy? Amazon is taking pre-orders, so I went ahead and ordered it because it has been rare until this re-printing (and because Dick Jackson was from my area), but I'd love to hear what kind of reputation the book and Dick Jackson have.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:48:41 AM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Pam McT

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dick Jackson's 'Copperplate Calligraphy' Book
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »
Hi Lori
I have just managed to obtain a copy of the original publication of this book. I was told if I was serious in my study of copperplate this book is a must.
 You will find in the reviews in your link covers how well regarded this calligrapher and his book is. Hopefully someone will be along soon with more technical assessment.

Regards Pam

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:02:58 AM »
I have it and love it!  It is a very good guide to Copperplate, with nice examples.  I think it's not quite as good as Eleanor Winters' book, but it is a good book & one could certainly learn Copperplate from it.  I'm glad that it's back in print!  I paid a small fortune for my used copy!

Janis

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 07:04:06 AM »
This is a marvellous book.

A long time ago, I taught myself Copperplate (English Roundhand) with only two books :-

"The Universal Penman" by George Bickham for exampes and inspiration and "Copperplate Calligraphy" by Dick Jackson for self-instruction.

I am delighted that this book has been re-printed. It is clearly written with ample illustrations throughout by someone who obviously knows his craft. All the instructions are written in a direct, friendly and thorough manner without being at least dictatorial.

As I said, this was my only book on the subject, and IMO it still stands head and shoulders above any other instruction book on Copperplate.

I know that "Mastering Copperplate" by Eleanor Winters is very popular on this forum, but I can't personally endorse it as her letter forms are too far removed from the original, classic English Roundhand as epitomized in the aforementioned "Universal Penman", for my taste.

I know that this is very subjective and many will disagree with me  :(

For examples of lettering which adhere to the "classic" Roundhand style, look for "The art of Writing" by John Jenkins which is available for download through IAMPETH.

I cannot praise Dick Jackson's book highly enough and suffice to say that it is one of a very few books on Calligraphy which I wouldn't want to be without.

Ken
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:08:58 AM by caliken »

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:23:58 AM »
Pre-ordered! Thank you, Lori!

Ken, I agree with you.

Offline Fay

• Freshman Member
  • Start: January 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »
I was just about to post about this very same book because I've been looking for it. I used to see it for less than $5 on Amazon and suddenly BAM! Those disappeared and the ones on Amazon now are selling for hundreds!

I just saw the pre-order on Amazon yesterday so I emailed Dover Publications and said  the book is due to be released end November 2015  ;D

Unfortunately by then I will no longer be in the states and I am going to have to find some way of getting my hands on that book.... bummer for international shipping rates! :-\
Instagram: @faylligraphy

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 03:04:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing!
Wait and see  8)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 03:49:05 PM »
For those who do not wish to wait, there is a copy of this book on eBay right now that has a buy it now price of $34.95 plus shipping from Canada for $9.50.

Offline ulzo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
Pre-Ordered :) Thanks!

I also use Universal Penman, and that's fantatic study material.

Offline Sanbearz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 05:37:25 AM »
I was just about to post about this very same book because I've been looking for it. I used to see it for less than $5 on Amazon and suddenly BAM! Those disappeared and the ones on Amazon now are selling for hundreds!

I just saw the pre-order on Amazon yesterday so I emailed Dover Publications and said  the book is due to be released end November 2015  ;D

Unfortunately by then I will no longer be in the states and I am going to have to find some way of getting my hands on that book.... bummer for international shipping rates! :-\

Hey fay,
You can get at http://m.bookdepository.com/Copperplate-Calligraphy-Dick-Jackson/9780486803869 for free worldwide shipping! It's where I ordered my copy of Mastering  copperplate calligraphy :)

Offline Fay

• Freshman Member
  • Start: January 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 05:16:43 PM »
Thanks a lot @Sanbearz!! :) :)  ;D
Instagram: @faylligraphy

Offline Sanbearz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 12:41:02 AM »
Sure! No problem :) it's a great site to buy books at great prices with free shipping!

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 05:39:40 AM »
Free worldwide shipping?!?! My credit cards just left the room in panic!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:00:04 PM »
I recently heard from my local guild that Dick Jackson's Copperplate Calligraphy is back in print.

Does anyone have this book? Is it well known? How does it compare to Eleanor Winter's Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy? Amazon is taking pre-orders, so I went ahead and ordered it because it has been rare until this re-printing (and because Dick Jackson was from my area), but I'd love to hear what kind of reputation the book and Dick Jackson have.
I am fortunate to have both these books, as well as several editions of The Universal Penman (as well as some original pages from it) mentioned in this thread, and would very much agree with Ken regarding the interpretation, if you will, of Copperplate in the two works. Attached are two renditions of the same sentence, the first from Winters' book and the second from Jackson's. Jackson is teaching classic English Roundhand of the 18th century (yes, there are variations back then also) whereas Winters is a modern interpretation of it. Just an opinion, here. I find the classic English Roundhand of the 18th C. to be more attractive. So, if one is just learning copperplate, I would look at Winters book and The Universal Penman and decide which style you prefer. For me, it's Jackson, hands down, and am very happy it's being reprinted. With the announcement that it is being reprinted, numerous used copies of the 1979 edition have surfaced, priced from $4.68 for a poor copy on up. Check this out for a selection:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=iYelCjowRuUYV4F8PZ5bjRQ6Lys_1435095557_1:1874:4895&bq=author%3Ddick%2520jackson%26title%3Dcopperplate%2520calligraphy

If you are ever looking for an out of print book, bookfinder.com is the ultimate resource.

(As another aside, I would bet that Jackson would be very proud of what Ken has done with his book. It's every teacher's hope to help someone to become even more skillful than himself, and Ken's skill in Copperplate has well surpassed that of Jackson. I know because I have an original example of Jackson's hand. Well done, Ken.

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 03:48:01 AM »
Thanks for that explanation and side-by-side comparison, Mike. Very enlightening! I think I prefer the Jackson version also -- it's so light and delicate.