Author Topic: Modern Calligraphy Summit  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Leanda

• body in england, soul in greece
    • View Profile
    • My website
Modern Calligraphy Summit
« on: November 27, 2015, 03:45:57 AM »
Hi all! Has anyone done the Modern Calligraphy Summit. Worth it? I'm thinking of enrolling and just want to be sure it will pay off :) 

Offline Gina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Calligraphy Summit
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
I'm wondering about this too...

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 12:56:44 PM »
This is a new online workshop which has not yet occurred so no one has taken it as of yet. It is also monetized by instructor referral so please refrain from any promotion on Flourish. Thank you!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
I too am curious, but $250 feels like a lot for me without any 1:1 teacher interaction/feedback.  :-\

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:30:30 PM »
I too am curious, but $250 feels like a lot for me without any 1:1 teacher interaction/feedback.  :-\

Wow I thought there would be feedback, that does put things into perspective.

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 09:11:15 PM »
I know they put out some free tutorial videos (I think three of them?).  Did anyone check those out?
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline ErinBear

• Freshman Member
  • Lettering n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
I registered for the summit yesterday. I liked the videos and am interested in the variety of topics that will be covered. I agree that the $249 was a bit expensive, but a great point is made in one of the videos about the cost of traveling to workshops with this many different instructors (definitely applicable to me, since I live in the middle of nowhere). I'll keep my fingers crossed about it being money well spent while I try to upgrade from total newbie status between now and then.
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself."
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
It is also monetized by instructor referral

What does this mean, Erica? Instructors get paid for referring people?
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
It is also monetized by instructor referral

What does this mean, Erica? Instructors get paid for referring people?

From what I've seen, each of the instructor's has their own link for registration. So when you click on their link to register, their system knows which instructor you registered through; it's in their database. I'm guessing that's for much more than just the "bonus" the instructor is offering when you register through their link.  ;) ??? :-X

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »
Yes, the instructors are paid for each person that signs up via their link. They are all advertising and the instructor the student signs up via receives the credit for that student.

While Flourish does allow single posts regarding individual instructors, in-person workshops, and conferences, we are not currently a vehicle for advertising. Thus discussion of this topic is being closely followed.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JERRY TRESSER

• View Profile
    • Gilding & Illumination Supplies
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »
I would like to  contribute on this subject. Historically, most of the European traditionalists were raised on a variety of instruments and papers. I was spoon fed with the use of the ruling pen, larger oblique nibs, and a whole host of other non conventional tools and papers. I grew up in non pen angled world which today seems to be called some kind of contemporary calligraphy. Far from the truth.  The British populated forms of calligraphy were all predefined methods of understanding hands. Just turn to page 5 for Uncial. 30 degrees, 5 nib heights, constant pen angle, etc.  This was so inclusive in the beginnings of the calligraphic movement that there was no room for any other systems.  Basically overwhelming.  Further characterized by the inclusion of never before seen materials such as quills, gold, vellum, burnishers, etc. To much for the mind to comprehend. But we ate it with a lust.  As time went on there was a few peakings through the blinds of some other unusual writing being done. This influence , this contemporary non specific pen angle, this ruling pen was a dynamic force which caught many by surprise.

What a pleasure to eliminate oneself from exile from a confined system where one always had to look over their shoulder. Thats not what this art form is about. Nor is that  contemporary as one may think. It was just pushed out of the way 40 years ago and now has come back as something new. Just a few thoughts . JERRY

Offline Leanda

• body in england, soul in greece
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 04:14:22 PM »
Yes, the instructors are paid for each person that signs up via their link. They are all advertising and the instructor the student signs up via receives the credit for that student.

While Flourish does allow single posts regarding individual instructors, in-person workshops, and conferences, we are not currently a vehicle for advertising. Thus discussion of this topic is being closely followed.  ;)

Thank you for pointing this out Erica. I hope you realise that I posted this as just a line of enquiry and in all innocence. If you feel it was inappropriate please feel free to delete it from the forum. :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »
Thank you Leanda, yes, I thought as much.  :) I knew the question would come up sooner and later and this is as good a place as any to ask it.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »

I hope they're being paid an extremely generous flat fee before all the free advertising they're being coerced into providing.
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline nightcapcalligraphy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
Hi, everyone! I participated in the Modern Calligraphy Summit this year, so I'd love to share my experience.

I was skeptical about the cost and the online aspect of the tutorials, but I felt like I got my money's worth. The instructors reviewed supplies, techniques, and practice methods in their lessons. They walked through their own process step by step. They provided PDFs with the same information so you can print them and reference them later. I found it helpful to be able to watch the online lessons, look at the print outs, take notes, and then practice on my own or while watching the videos.

The videos are nicely produced. The information is solid. I've gone back to watch some of the videos several times since the summit ended, and I keep all the print outs in a binder with my notes so that I can look at them when I have questions.

I would consider myself to be a beginner at calligraphy, and I thought the summit was an excellent starting point to learn the basics (and some intermediate techniques) as well as get the insider scoop on supplies and process. It was eye-opening for me.
Instagram @pastoraldesign