Author Topic: Diamine Inkvent 2022  (Read 5454 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Diamine Inkvent 2022
« on: November 30, 2022, 05:49:43 PM »
Flourish Friends -- I am aware that for some people Advent started on Sunday, 27 November this year (2022), but lots of other people start it on 1 December, so it's nice to wait for them.

Inkventors - get ready to post!  Much like Inktober, there really aren't "rules" to Inkvent.  The only courtesy we should observe is to not post ahead of schedule or out of order so as to not spoil the surprise for those Inkventors who are dutifully opening those little doors in order, and as scheduled.  I know @AnasaziWrites got his box in the mail!  who else is with us?

Of course, maybe you didn't purchase the set, but still want to ink!  You can use the name of the ink as your prompt, just like in Inktober, if you like; you'll just have to wait until the day of for the reveal.  But that's fine.  There's no way I'm going to be able to post every day this time around.  It's just a super busy time at work, and I've committed a lot of time to working with my kid's school's music boosters, and I have to travel for the holidays.  Eventually we'll all get through all the inks - just like last time (even though it took through January): https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7287.0
@Zivio & @Lucie Y & @tiffany.c.a & @Erica McPhee & @InkyFingers - you were all such awesome Inktoberists!  maybe you'll come in for Invent too!

As participants on the Forum have often noted - you can use fountain pen inks with dip pens if you doctor them a bit.  I also use fountain pen inks for drawing and painting.  All the drawings I posted in the Inktober 2021 and 2022 threads were done with fountain pen inks for instance.  They have some wonderful properties of shading and chromatography, making them a very exciting art medium.  Nick Stewart shows off their amazing range on his blog: https://nickstewart.ink/

Hence, I'm posting to the "Tools and Supplies" area, since this thread will produce a catalogue of lovely, colorful inks that may be helpful for some future project.

Procedurally:

For the purposes of consistency, all of my test swatches are done on Col-O-Ring paper.  The ink is applied onto wetted paper to test for shading and chromatography.  A line of bleach is applied with a Nikko G nib on an area of high saturation.  The italic "Diamine" is drawn with a #5 Mitchell, the blackletter "Inkvent" is drawn with a #3 or #2 Mitchell, the name of the ink itself is written in cursive with a medium flex Gillott 404 nib in an oblique holder.  I do not add any gum arabic for testing purposes, to get a sense of the consistency of the ink and its suitability for different uses.  So sometimes it blobs a little, which tells me how I'll need to adjust later on.  I've also described what I'm seeing in words, because lighting and monitors produce different appearances, and for accessibility purposes, because some readers may be unable to distinguish between certain colors.

Drawings are done with the ink of the day (name of the ink used as prompt for the drawing), water, and sometimes bleach, with various water color brushes, ruling pens, and dip nibs.  Unless otherwise noted, they are all done in a 8x8-inch spiral bound Global Art Hand Book Field Watercolor Journal - with textured, cold press, 300gsm paper.

Diamine marks each ink with the designations: "standard" (shading, but no shimmer, no sheen), "shimmer" (containing metallic particulates), "sheen" (caused by a residue that is not absorbed into the paper, making some portions reflect a different, often shiny, color), and new this year, "chameleon" (extra/holo shimmer), and "scent" (perfumed!).  Sometimes with a combination of shimmer and sheen.
* Hey, Diamine - if you're reading this and maybe like my work with your ink, contact me!  I work on commission!

See you tomorrow at the kick-off!
--yours truly, K

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
Re: Diamine Inkvent 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:49:27 PM »
I’m very excited for you all who ordered! I will definitely be checking in. May take you up on writing out some of the ink names once revealed.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 04:35:20 PM »
1. Bliss (standard) - a medium cerulean blue with terrific, even shading properties in a smooth, even, wide range that's easy to blend and control with a brush.

Thanks to @AnasaziWrites for providing me with the reference image for the drawing.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Diamine Inkvent 2022 - Bliss
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 04:40:19 PM »
Just noodling around with this first ink of the calendar--Bliss. Have not yet decided what sort of posts I'll do this time, perhaps practice a script I'd like to improve, we'll see.

Anyway this is a standard ink (no sheen or shimmer or other unusual properties that I see). Reminds me of a very dilute Stargazer from last year, very pretty aqua with a little green. Writes well right out of the bottle with pointed pen if the nib is not ultra sharp and the letters are small. I'm using a Spencerian #1 on Strathmore Bristol smooth 100 lb. The ink bleeds out nicely on the wet paper towel. I'm sure @K-2  will have a better analysis and submission after a bit.

edit:  While typing this post, @K-2  posted-- and a fine post it is. Beautifully done.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 04:44:38 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 12:14:40 PM »
I was suprised with an Invent Calendar this year! So exciting!!!

Ive decided all be copperplate using the dip pen. As mentioned above.. its a beautiful shade a blue.. knowing they are fountain inks and would be thinner/more likely to bleed..I will be using water color paper (masters touch from Hobby Lobby- nothin fancy) and I think it worked OK.

So excited to see all the colors for this year!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 12:18:38 PM by Aries M »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 03:09:40 PM »
No other offering here except for this bit of frivolity.  Wonder if this works for the ink?
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 07:44:56 PM »
Glad to see you joining us! @Aries M
And your sense of humor is always welcome, @Zivio - I think that's basically what my spouse caught me doing with my ink set when it arrived.
Looking forward to seeing what @AnasaziWrites does too

2. Yule Log (shimmer) - a warm, medium cocoa brown with gold shimmer.  Terrific, even shading properties.  A rather sedate reaction to bleach.  And a little blobby off the broad-edge nib.  Don't forget to keep shaking the bottle to bring the shimmer particles back into suspension.  They sink to the bottom really fast.

It might do well in a Pilot Parallel pen, and it's really fun to paint with, because it's got such great shading.

The drawing remembers that the term "Yule" derives from "Jolnir" one of the names of the Norse God, Odin, in his guise as the Master of the Wild Hunt that rides at the Winter Solstice.  Also, we have a beautiful 5-point (Western Count) / 10-point (Eastern Count) buck in the woods by our house that has been visiting our yard this fall - so this is a picture of him.

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 08:21:00 PM »

... Also, we have a beautiful 5-point (Western Count) / 10-point (Eastern Count) buck in the woods by our house that has been visiting our yard this fall - so this is a picture of him.

And he is absolutely gorgeous -- your artistry is fantastic!  We have elk here as well, but I've yet to spot any nearby but only on a trip.  Magnificent and huge creatures they are.  Thanks for sharing yours.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 08:43:56 PM »
K-2, what a wonderful drawing! The range of shades is so lovely.
By the way, your previous inkvent portraits were amazing.

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 10:58:13 PM »
Glad to see you joining us! @Aries M
And your sense of humor is always welcome, @Zivio - I think that's basically what my spouse caught me doing with my ink set when it arrived.
Looking forward to seeing what @AnasaziWrites does too

2. Yule Log (shimmer) - a warm, medium cocoa brown with gold shimmer.  Terrific, even shading properties.  A rather sedate reaction to bleach.  And a little blobby off the broad-edge nib.  Don't forget to keep shaking the bottle to bring the shimmer particles back into suspension.  They sink to the bottom really fast.

It might do well in a Pilot Parallel pen, and it's really fun to paint with, because it's got such great shading.

The drawing remembers that the term "Yule" derives from "Jolnir" one of the names of the Norse God, Odin, in his guise as the Master of the Wild Hunt that rides at the Winter Solstice.  Also, we have a beautiful 5-point (Western Count) / 10-point (Eastern Count) buck in the woods by our house that has been visiting our yard this fall - so this is a picture of him.

Wow wow wow! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with for each prompt.

I love the shimmer of this ink but it is NOT eraser friendly (the "y" in Yule is not nearly as glittery as the "L" log as proof haha). This one seemed to bleed quite a bit more than the standard ink.. that all said its beauitful and I dont think I have any similar colors in my ink arsenal.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 10:35:09 AM »
@K-2 I find myself holding my breath in anticipation when I scroll down to see your illustrations like the feeling you have when opening a present you know is going to be good! And then followed by the rush of warm endorphins when seeing something so beautiful.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »
@K-2
On a trip to WY at Christmas in 2018 to visit my brother-in-law and his family, I took this photo near the house, and discovered why WY hunters are so successful--the game obey traffic signs.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »
This might be a “duh” question, but when using the inks that people have been saying need a lot of shaking up to maintain the shimmer, how would one use that ink in a fountain pen? Would you have to shake the pen repeatedly? Or just not use it in a fountain pen?

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 04:32:30 PM »
@Aries M @Erica McPhee @tiffany.c.a @Zivio - You are all so kind about my drawings.  Thank you!  I don't know what to say.  I'm flattered!  Truly!  Glad to have the disciplined practice that working on Invent & Inktober with you all offers, and glad to bring a little smile to you too.

@AnasaziWrites - I live in a neighborhood called "Hunter's Park" and our local hockey rink, nestled in the woods, is called "Glen Avon" - so we've been calling our big guy, "The Monarch of the Glen Avon".  We have so many deer up here, they're kind of a menace to drivers.  A close friend of mine hit one last weekend.  Whenever this happens, the following is ritually intoned: 1. "Oh no! That's terrible" - 2. "Were you hurt?" - 3. "How's the car?" - 4. "Did you get a tag?" (We really do mean #1-3, but we're most interested in #4).

@tiffany.c.a - If you put shimmer ink into a fountain pen, gently roll the pen between your palms to put the shimmer into suspension every now and then.  Because it naturally settles in the lowest spot, it'll automatically fall toward the nib as you write.  Some pens do better than others with shimmer ink - for best results, choose a wide/stub/italic nib on a wet writer.  The Pilot Parallel pens are fantastic for shimmer inks!  I like to use their nibs in an Opus 88 demonstrator, because then you can see where the shimmer particles are and when you need to agitate them again.  With shimmer ink in fountain pens, it's good to clean them out more frequently though - I find that a spin in the ultra-sonic bath makes quick work getting the glitter out of the feed.

3. Solar Storm (chameleon) - A heavily saturated indigo blue ink with loads of holographic shimmer.  The ink itself shades well and has a clean reaction to bleach, but lacks chromatographic interest.  But then there's the new "chameleon" shimmer - I took a couple/few different shots in different lighting situations but it doesn't do it justice.  It looks green - gold - blue depending on the angle and intensity of the light, and left a diffuse sparkle all over the drawing that just didn't photograph well.  Sorry, friends - This one you gotta see in person!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 06:08:37 PM »
@K-2
Great use of solar storm.