Author Topic: Diamine Inkvent 2022  (Read 5455 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Diamine Inkvent 2022
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
Three Kings

Day 14

A standard ink, goes on very dark brown, dries to dark ochre/burnt sienna(?), bleeds out to light mustard yellow and a touch of light red.
Okay for pointed pen straight from the bottle--this is a pretty thick ink. Not too interesting in my book, then, I'm not a big fan of browns. Good to have an alternative to walnut, though.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2022, 01:17:05 PM »
Pick Me Up

Day 15

Good for pointed pen right out of the bottle, this scented and sheen ink  is really fun. Goes on dark brown and bleeds out red/pink, then yellow,to green to medium light blue, and possibly a hint of violet. When dry, the thins stay brown, and the thicks are a beautiful shamrock green in full light to emerald in less light. Another good one for Christmas cards/envelopes. One of my favorites so far.
Regards the scent--I can't detect it. But then my sense of smell comes and goes in acuity, the result of contacting covid in July (at the IAMPETH convention, no less). So, what does it smell like to you?

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2022, 06:11:08 PM »
Thanks for letting me off easy, @AnasaziWrites - and for your note of support for all of us @Erica McPhee

10. Dusted Truffle (shimmer) - a cool, medium brown, spangled with silver shimmer, bleeding out shadowy grey wisps and a hint of salmon.  The bright silver shimmer is especially prevalent on the broad edge calligraphy.  Overall the ink holds a line well.

For the drawing, I considered doing a portrait of Dusty Springfield, but then decided that a less time-intensive subject would be better as we dig out of this blizzard, so I went with a crop duster instead.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2022, 09:25:21 AM »
For the drawing, I considered doing a portrait of Dusty Springfield, but then decided that a less time-intensive subject would be better as we dig out of this blizzard, so I went with a crop duster instead.
Nice duster. I'm amazed at how much you get out of what I view as an uninteresting ink. Nice trees, too. As time permits in the future, I'll have to learn how to do that.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2022, 10:33:22 AM »
Serendipity

Day 16 

An ink with both shimmer and sheen. As with others, works well with pointed pen if the shades are not too big. Needs shaking. Bleeds out to various shades of blue, a little green and a warm grey and a hint of magenta(?). Thins dry to a deep sky blue, and shades reveal a nice copper sheen/shimmer. Paper matters. Quite a different expression in the two papers. The first "Serendipity" is on watercolor paper (that blurb at the end is from our dog, who nosed it while I was setting it up to be photoed), the second is on bristol smooth. Both are angled to reveal the shimmer/sheen. The third is photoed straight on to illustrate the fact that the shimmer/sheen does not appear in a scan (at least on my scanner) as well or at all as when photoed at an angle. Definite possibilities with this ink.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 10:39:39 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Aries M

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »
With all the hustle and bustle the holidays inevitably become at some point or another- I think we're doing great 😝 Im gonna play some catch up with this post.

Cardinal- Goregous vibrant red with orange hues with it thins out on the pointed pen. Dipped great right out of the bottle. If anyone has wondered.. these 12ml bottles may look small but they hold ALOT of ink.. I clumsly knocked this over on my desk.. bottle is still have full and while I was upset.. I was also pretty impressed at the amount!   ;D

Dusted Truffle- Interesting color. Also dipped well straight from the bottle. Shimmer is eraser friendly.

Appletini- Didnt think I would like this color as much as I did once I started writing with it. Definitely more on the watery side to me. I was able to get a thin hairline and I think the color of the ink, like walnut, makes it look even thinner..(it that makes sense)

Memory Lane - I had a harder time controlling this ink and as youll see in the picture, it blobbed pretty bad in the L in Lane. The shimmer is pretty and sparkly (aka lots of shaking) and I really wanted to like it. Ill probably try thinning it out and see what happens.

Upon a Star - Wow Wow Wow. I liked Solar Storm, Spiced Apple was neat- but this is the first one in my set that gave me full on "Chamelon" vibes. The letters are different colors at different angles and its not subtle at all.

Three Kings- Im with @AnasaziWrites I felt like this was a pretty bland ink (except when wielded by @K-2 ). Kinda like yellow and sepia had a ink baby..

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2022, 08:51:06 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - Thanks! I really liked "Dusted Truffle" as a drawing ink!  IRL it also had faint celadon halos coming out in the chromatography.  It's got a lot of hidden depth!  You can get trees like that by working "wet on wet" - before the background layer drys completely, dab a bit more ink (in different dilutions), and let it bleed upward into shadowy "branches".

@Aries M - I can't wait to get to "Upon a Star"!  I agree about Appletini being more interesting than anticipated!

And I'm glad I can give another take at "boring inks"

11. Appletini (standard) - a bright grass-green, bleeding out lemon-lime.  Neon gold reaction with bleach!  Lovely for lettering - both broad edge and also pointed pen.  The yellow chromatography makes the hairlines look especially etherial, as @Aries M notes.

The drawing is of Loring Park in Minneapolis - Bad Pun Alert: some Minnesotans insist on calling Minneapolis, "The Mini Apple" (in comparison with NY, NY, "the Big Apple").  So I went with "Appletini" = "Apple Teeny" = "Mini Apple".  A green summery scene with the pond will have to do for now - We've had nearly 3 feet of snow in the last three days up here in the north.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2022, 02:33:56 PM »
Flame

Day 17

Standard ink, but boy, what a color. Brilliant orange bleeding to yellow. Pretty thin ink, can be used with pointed pen if the shades are small, but works very well with some gum arabic (this mixture 3.5 ml with 10 drops ga).
Flame was day 5 of Inktober this year, and this ink mimics the firey colors of guache very well (I'm posting the same picture).

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2022, 11:20:23 AM »
Olive Swirl

Day 18

A chameleon ink, works well with pointed pen right out of the bottle, but needs to be shaken vigorously and often to get the chameleon effects. In the time it took to write the first word and redip the pen without shaking the bottle, much of the sparkle had precipitated out. Bleeds to lighter green then yellow. Has to be a little blue in there somewhere, as the thicks show an emerald green--quite pleasing.
(tap on the photo for a closer look.)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2022, 01:39:36 PM »
Such beautiful work from you all. @AnasaziWrites That is such a unique script. Can you tell us more about it?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2022, 05:40:17 PM »
I'm falling ever further behind, alas - But seeing the use @Aries M and @AnasaziWrites get from these inks is really inspiring!
V. grateful to have @Erica McPhee give her encouragement too.

12. Memory Lane (shimmer) - a dusky lavender bleeding out hints of periwinkle at the edges of lilac shading, full of sparkling silver shimmer.  A little hard to control for broad edge, but it gives delicate hairlines with pointed pen.

The drawing: Omoide Yokocho ("Memory Lane") in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo - in the springtime, decorated with sakura blossoms.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2022, 05:06:51 PM »
Silent Night

Day 19

A standard midnight blue ink. Works with pointed pen straight from the bottle. Bleeds out to lavender and medium then light blue. I would guess this would indeed make a nice dark night sky if diluted a bit.
No time yet for drawing.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »
Arctic Blast

Day 20

Wow, a lot going on with this chameleon/shimmer ink. Works well right out of the bottle with pointed pen. Look at those colors!

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2022, 06:14:39 PM »
I've been looking forward to drawing with this ink, since seeing it in the hands of @Aries M and @AnasaziWrites - it does not disappoint!

13. Upon a Star (chameleon) - a rich, saturated, velvety royal blue, loaded with silvery, holographic, green-blue shimmer and a blaze of dark red sheen.  Clean ivory reaction to bleach, and beautiful chromatography bleeding out with a wide range of ceruleans and blues.

Alright.  This ink is clearly modeled after last Inkvent's spectacular "Stargazer" (swatch shone for comparison) - except with a royal blue rather than dark teal base.

In the spirit of that comparison (since I did portraits of astrophysicists Carl Sagan & Neil deGrasse Tyson for "Stargazer" last year), the drawing depicts Cecilia Payne Gaposchkin (1900-1979), the first woman to be awarded a PhD in Astronomy (Harvard/Radcliffe). She also was the first woman to hold a professorship at Harvard (1956), and Harvard's first female department chair.  Her contribution to the field: She identified hydrogen & helium as the main components of stars.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2022, 10:14:20 PM »
In the spirit of that comparison (since I did portraits of astrophysicists Carl Sagan & Neil deGrasse Tyson for "Stargazer" last year), the drawing depicts Cecilia Payne Gaposchkin (1900-1979), the first woman to be awarded a PhD in Astronomy (Harvard/Radcliffe). She also was the first woman to hold a professorship at Harvard (1956), and Harvard's first female department chair.  Her contribution to the field: She identified hydrogen & helium as the main components of stars.
Brilliant.