Author Topic: Day 13 - 2023: Rise  (Read 357 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Day 13 - 2023: Rise
« on: October 14, 2023, 02:18:19 AM »
Meh. I actively hate this piece, but hey, posting something every day, you can't expect uniform results, and I'm not exactly a perfectionist. (Hey, @Matthew H. - from the perfectionism thread... Maybe try Inktober as a cure for perfectionism? I feel like we discussed perfectionism and errors during Inktober last year - at any rate, just producing a bunch of stuff to nonsense prompts every day can kind of kick start you to a better relationship with your art. It can really help you get over yourself.)

So here I am, in the middle of a grueling 30-hour work stretch, in which I'm giving the key-note talk at an online conference based in Korea, so it's the middle of the night! from 1:30am to 3:30am Saturday; but I've already worked a full day Friday, and I also have to be back in the office to teach a medieval calligraphy workshop at 10am in the morning on Saturday, and then preside over a panel discussion on the scientific and humanistic endeavor of going to Mars in the late afternoon.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
Re: Day 13 - 2023: Rise
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 07:10:23 AM »
 Hello @K-2 . Thank you for sharing your work. It is amazing how your busy day-to-day life runs around your other activities .
 It is amazing all that works perfectly for you and no doubt you are enjoying how every thing works out for you.  and on top of every thing the biggest challenge of this Inktober which is a big deal of the drawing challenge for many.
I really enjoy all of your work and it is very impressive .

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 02:58:45 PM »
Thanks so much, @K-2, for suggesting taking part in Inktober. I'd love to! It sounds lots of fun. The idea of posting work feels pretty intimidating, which tells me it's definitely what I need. ;D

I hope you don't mind me saying Ė I really, really like this piece.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 04:36:46 PM »
Matthew H in the house! Great when new people join, even if just for discussion. Cyrilís and otherís comments are always appreciated.
Yes, it can feel intimidating at times to post work, but I find what K-2 said is so true for myself - it helps me get over myself in order to decidedly and enthusiastically value being part of a community, even with my/my artís imperfections. I think we are like witnesses and cheerleaders to each otherís process. But itís also at your pace - what steps you decide to take when.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 05:47:41 PM »
So inspiring to see how you make art part of your day despite an outrageous agenda!
I love the color of this piece, but of course, you will judge it by your own criteria.
It would be super interesting of you said specifically whzt you don't like about certain of your pieces. I think we could all learn from that. If you feel like it.
Oh crÍpe!

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 01:06:21 AM »
Hi, Flourish Friends -- @Lucie Y @tiffany.c.a @Cyril Jayant @Matthew H.

Making art is the best part of my day! Lucie, I really hope your calligraphy workshop went as well as mine this morning! We focused on textura quadrata, with a focus on the construction of blackletter capitals. The class was completely sold out, and I got to test out some worksheets that I'm refining for my book and for the workshop I'm running next summer in California.

Okay - here's my beef with my first go at "Rise": I will now flay myself for our common edification - I was kind of impatient and pressed for time, because it was the proper middle of the night, and I had to give that keynote address, but had a little time to draw right before. So I didn't get the paper wetted down properly, and the ink didn't spread and break the way I wanted it to (although working with dye-based inks this way always produces uncertain results). So I tried to mist some water over it, to rewet, but that only homogenized the color, which was the opposite of what I wanted. So then I was going to let it dry down a bit and add a layer to bring up the foreground, but it didn't blend. Following that, I didn't get the dilution on the bleach right, so the little bugs were white instead of yellow. Then I used a different green ink for the big letters, because it has a lot of shimmer in it, so I thought it would be sparkly. It was not sparkly. Somehow the shimmer didn't make it onto the page. Instead it just looks like a dull olive green, and doesn't go particularly well with the more vibrant green in the background. Also, I didn't like the shape or proportion of the "R", and I didn't make enough of a decision about the slant of the "ise", so it's kind of all over the place. I also didn't bother with any guide lines, so it's not level either. In other words, all of these things were sort of avoidable, but I didn't really make enough of an effort.

In the end though, I liked the composition, but it didn't have enough punch, and it was kind of sloppy. So here's my second try. It's still not my favorite piece, but the colors are cleaner. I also made a clear decision about using a pointed pen for the lettering. And the ink for the capital R is more interesting - a metallic duotone by Coliro, called "Pegasus" (somewhat more in line with our theme, "rise"). The lettering and blue for the sky is done with Iroshizuku ama-iro (or, sky color, also related to the prompt). I like the shape of the R more this time, and I like the bright punch of color from the hot air balloon design too. However, it still lacks a kind of looseness and motion that I like to have in my work. It's still too tense and too self-conscious.

So @Matthew H. - Please don't feel intimidated by the idea of posting work. I mean, if you want to sell your work, as you mentioned in your thread, you really are going to have to get used to showing it to strangers. It's really okay to post work that isn't your best (like I'm doing here - neither of these is my best, but so what? I'm not selling these anyway). Also - don't forget that there are a lot of different ways to engage calligraphy as a profession. We see a lot of different types of work from different professionals at different points in their careers here. @Erica McPhee @JanisTX @Ken Fraser @jeanwilson (and me too) to name just a few. And we all have wildly different aesthetics.

Perfection is a process, not a product. Perfect is a verb, not an adjective.
And I've often seen students just keep getting in their own way, when they've focused too much on getting everything just right.

You can join Inktober anytime! Jump in on any prompt. Post as much or as little as you like. There's no Inktober police, and I promise someone will say something nice about your work!

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 09:51:43 AM »
I am exhausted just reading what youíre doing! Embrace the Rise!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 03:48:20 PM »
@tiffany.c.a @K-2 I just wanted to say a big thanks to you both for your kind and encouraging words. You've made the idea of me posting work feel much less daunting. I already knew The Flourish Forum was a really friendly place, but you've both made me feel so welcome with Inktober that it'd be rude for me not to give it a try!

I'd felt certain I'd be posting something for yesterday's prompt Ė only the day didn't go exactly as planned in other waysÖ Anyway, I will definitely have something posted at some point this week. Dare I admit that I'm actually quite excited to join in?!