Author Topic: Day 12 - 2023: Spicy  (Read 218 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Day 12 - 2023: Spicy
« on: October 13, 2023, 03:17:25 AM »
@Lucie Y @Erica McPhee @tiffany.c.a - Many thanks for your kind thoughts about "Wander". I think it's my favorite so far (it might turn out to be my favorite overall). I'm really trying to push myself to try out new things, and I think it combined a couple aesthetic elements that I've been working on separately into something new and different for an illustrated capital.

For "Spicy" here, I'm using Zesty as a synonym, so that I get a Z for my alphabet project. The lettering is in the sassy "Maya" font by Shaily Patel.

It's really a gigantic step away from my normal aesthetic, but it was fun to try something different - I was thinking about the colorful tiles in my Auntie Dora's kitchen when I designed the decorated capital Z.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
Re: Day 12 - 2023: Spicy
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 05:59:03 AM »
K-2, such a nice collection of decorated caps you are producing. (Youíre inspiring meÖ)

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 12:56:38 PM »
@K-2 - itís like a handcrafted Mexican tile. Youíre so versatile.

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 04:51:56 PM »
@K-2
Niceeeee! First thought I had was, 'It looks just like a Mexican kitchen tile'. The colours melting into the lower half of the word is so good.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 05:41:16 PM »
@K2 this is so cool!!! I'd like to know what medium you are using?

Well, I spent tonight making an exemplar of Foundational Hand. It's not great but it's for that wee workshop I told you about. I'm glad I'm going back to studying the basics, but I'm anxious to go back to my personal goals (italics, roman capitals, and pretty ornamental vines).

See you soon!

Lu
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 05:43:19 PM by Lucie Y »
Oh crÍpe!

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 07:38:46 PM »
Wow - this has generated a surprisingly positive response!
Thank you, @tiffany.c.a @Mark T @Mary_M @Lucie Y -- I felt like this one was a bit of a risk. Like, maybe it looks kind of like the sign on a taco truck. But maybe that's a feature, not a bug?

Here's how I did it - I traced the underdrawing with Ziller soot black (which is my go-to for waterproof ink). When it was dry, I erased all the guide lines, and filled in the colors (with some amount of layering for depth & dimensionality), which are all fountain pen inks: Rohrer & Klingner "helianthus" (yellow); Diamine "polar glow" (blue); Pilot Iroshizuku "momiji" (red); Diamine "fire embers" (orange); Diamine "elf" (green). The Maya-font lettering also blends together the "helianthus" and "fire embers" inks for the two-tone effect.

And by the way - the tile motif genuinely works as tile!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 07:41:47 PM by K-2 »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 04:22:02 PM »
I like them before, but what an awesome effect as tiles.