Author Topic: Day 21 - 2023: Chains  (Read 210 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Day 21 - 2023: Chains
« on: October 22, 2023, 12:53:31 AM »
@Erica McPhee - I think you are exactly right about the shading properties of that ink I used for Frost / Rime. The pen literally couldn't hold enough ink on it to saturate the leg on that R. Oh well. @Mark T - I shall indeed stop beating myself up about it. It is adequate. I appreciate your kind words of support (even if you're a Yankees fan, and clearly lack judgement  ;) )

@AnasaziWrites - What a gorgeous photo of that window frost. You must have a terrific camera, as well as exquisite technique. But after last year's winter, in which we had snow from October through April, I'm going to have to disagree with the venerable poet, even if his name is Frost. And we've already had several frosty mornings!

And thank you, @Matthew H. for your kind thoughts for my Saddle / Yoke piece! It might have overtaken "Wander" as my favorite this month. It was tremendously fun to do! I'm actually using Fabriano paper for all of these Inktober pieces. It's a good quality practice paper that's strikes an appealing balance between quality and price, and as you note - not too textured! I'm sure you won't have the same problem I was having on Demon / Imp; I just wasn't being at all careful, and also using the wrong nib for the purpose.

Here is "Chains" - I'm substituting "Links" for "Chains" so that I get an L for my alphabet. I might keep working on the chain drawing detail - I had an achy day after my Covid booster and flu shot yesterday - but I still have a stack of exams to mark this weekend, so who knows if I'll get back around to it.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
Re: Day 21 - 2023: Chains
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 01:08:38 AM »
K-2, nice versal/gothic letters and interesting how the chain connects and wraps around the L. Great alternative word choices.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 01:11:34 AM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 01:10:35 AM »
Days 15-21
Once again didnít start till Friday evening. While itís not always easy to follow through, itís been coming together. Fun was had with this page and Iím happy overall with each attempt. Of course much can be improved. (Note: Days not composed in order.)

Days 16 (Angel) & 17 (Demon)
Bible verse. An added plus that it covers both words. I like the overall result. Ascenders need more consistency. Higgins Eternal, fineliner, marker. The ďNĒ is gouache (inspired by internet example).

Day 15 - Dagger
Chose pen/sword quote. Spacing is sooo off. But I like ďmightierĒ and the upright handwriting. I like how the warm gray (marker) inside the letters looks like stone - I wasnít expecting that effect but nice surprise. Caps drawn referencing a model alphabet from the net. Higgins eternal, marker.

Day 21 - Chains
I like to crochet. I chain-stitched this blue variegated chunky yarn awhile ago and itís been lying around. Was useful for this. Happy with the overall composition and color work. Gouache, walnut ink, fineliner.

Day 19 - Plump
An adorable pilferer. Drawn from a photo on the net. Just to convince myself to try drawing something takes energy each time. Iím glad Iíve been trying. Colored pencil, marker, fineliner.

Day 20 - Frost
I like poetry. It was good to change up the direction of the writing. Sumi.

Day 18 - Saddle
Was looking for a different take on this word - since I like bookbinding this usage stood out. Higgins eternal.

Extra - Coptic Binding
Another type of chain stitch. To me, this binding is beautiful, glad I took the extra time to draw a rendering of a bound book (reference was a photo on the net, although I have my own attempt using this binding). Info is from the Cornell website. The ďCĒ was very off so I made it thicker than intended to cover the offness. Higgins eternal, gouache, colored pencil, fineliner.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 09:11:10 AM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 08:08:38 AM »
Beautiful work . I love the colours and the idea !!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 12:51:22 PM »
Chains

Props to my wife who lent me some of her jewelry for this photo.

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 03:51:22 PM »
@K-2 I'm amazed by the way the chain wrapping behind the L appears to lift the lower part above the page! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Sorry I'm replying here (and @AnasaziWrites) Ė I just wanted to say how atmospheric I found the pieces you'd each created for Frost. It was interesting to see how you'd both evoked that feeling in different ways. (I liked your R a lot, @K-2!)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 06:28:34 PM »
@K-2 I think that Links is one of my favorites of yours!

@AnasaziWrites Very cool!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram