Author Topic: Day 28 - 2023: Sparkle  (Read 417 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Day 28 - 2023: Sparkle
« on: October 28, 2023, 04:01:56 PM »
Sparkle

Last week I was watering the moss lawn in the early morning, and the water from the sprinkler made the leaves of our maple just sparkle. Focusing on the leaves with a shallow depth of field (sound familiar?), it turned the nearby drops of water into "bubbles." Fun.

Ink is from the past two "Inkvent" calendars. Random selection.

Click on the photos for a closer look.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 04:04:00 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Day 28 - 2023: Sparkle
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 04:18:09 PM »
Drawing and painting is a no-go zone for me, so I have been looking for a prompt that would condone a word-only entry. Well, here we go. Several brands of sparkling alcoholic beverages (such as champagne and crémant) use Copperplate-style logos. Here are some of these brands in my beginner’s Copperplate script. (Lest you think I’m an alcoholic, the corks in the first photo were amassed over the last several years.)

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 05:55:18 PM »
Loved these posts Anasazi and Vintage (tags won't work on my phone tonight...). Copperplate is great for wine  :D

Best I could do tonight, after some practice! Frustrates about my k's last stroke being too long. But I'm learning!

Oh crêpe!

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 07:32:58 PM »
Wow everyone, the home stretch!
I hope to jump in again before the end. Enjoyed seeing what people did this week.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 03:06:30 AM »
@AnasaziWrites - a scintillating photo! I just reorganized all my tiny Inkvent bottles to make room for the Inkvent set that just arrived in the mail!
* And thank you for your good thoughts about my "Beast" (and also @Erica McPhee - and for your patience for the pedantry as well).

@Lucie Y - I hope you know that your work is already very high quality! Your Fraktur is progressing every day! Your Italics are really clean! Your Ronde is superb!
* With regard to the ink - I want to assure you that the Ferris Wheel Press inks are really nice (I love the Atlas Iron Ore. love. it), and I'm sure you'll get great use out of the ones you selected, provided you don't knock the silly top-heavy bottles over and spill all that precious ink! I really cannot stress enough that you cannot dip a pen into those bottles. But the inks are safe for fountain pens in general (although I probably wouldn't put shimmer ink into pens with hooded nibs that are hard to completely disassemble).
* The Pilot Parallel pens take shimmer inks particularly well, and are actually super easy to clean. You can pull the entire nib/feed unit out of the grip section and wash it. When I use fountain pen inks in them, I squirt them into used/empty cartridges with a blunt syringe (some people just fill the body of the pen and seal the threads with silicon grease, but I prefer to keep things a little more contained). The Parallel nib units also fit into the grip section of the Opus 88 - a dropper fill with a huge reservoir and a shut off valve that's great for traveling. It's a bit of an investment though.
* And yes, I have a serious weakness for sparkly ink - I even bought the Wearingeul shimmer potions to add sparkle to my non-shimmer inks. So Lucie, you never have to justify your ink purchases to me. Just be aware that I am an enabler.

@Vintage_BE - Lovely Copperplate! Wow! (and great minds think alike - we had a similar idea for Sparkle  :D).

I used "Effervesce" for "Sparkle" so that I get an E for my alphabet.

This is a good reminder about how some fountain pen ink is not suited for dip pens - I really had to fight the Diamine "Celebration" (Inkvent 2022) ink that I chose for this piece, knowing it wasn't well suited to the task. It wanted to blob all over, but when I mixed it with enough gum arabic, it suppressed the shimmer. This is an ink that works great in a parallel pen though (which I didn't use, because I was too lazy to fill one with it). And it's got nice shading (as you can see from the background wash), and good reaction to bleach. The capital E is the same Coliro "Phoenix" that I used for "Golden" (way back on Day 6).

Only three more days to go! (and then I'll start prepping for Inkvent, I guess).

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »
For everyone in this challenge  big thank you!! ;D

@Lucie Y  to the beautiful Fraktura
@analovestowrite  for your usual lettering to go with an image..
@Vintage_BE  for a nice sparkling Idea.
@K-2  for the celebrating  the end of most of the challenges with a colourful theme .

And at last my... "simple Simon "  sparkly INKTOMBER  23 CHALLENGE ...

DAY 28. SPARKLES IN THE WORLD OF PEANUT- SNOOPY AT FIRE WORKS.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 10:42:29 AM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 09:45:04 AM »
@AnasaziWrites - a scintillating photo! I just reorganized all my tiny Inkvent bottles to make room for the Inkvent set that just arrived in the mail!
You're not thinking of peaking at the Inkvent 2023 bottles are you?
From whom did you order them this year, if I may ask?

I used "Effervesce" for "Sparkle" so that I get an E for my alphabet.
Nice to see Veuve Clicquot represented . You deserve a bottle when Inktober concludes.
This is a good reminder about how some fountain pen ink is not suited for dip pens - I really had to fight the Diamine "Celebration" (Inkvent 2022) ink that I chose for this piece, knowing it wasn't well suited to the task. It wanted to blob all over, but when I mixed it with enough gum arabic, it suppressed the shimmer. This is an ink that works great in a parallel pen though (which I didn't use, because I was too lazy to fill one with it). And it's got nice shading (as you can see from the background wash), and good reaction to bleach. The capital E is the same Coliro "Phoenix" that I used for "Golden" (way back on Day 6).

Only three more days to go! (and then I'll start prepping for Inkvent, I guess).

Nice.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 09:53:20 AM »

And at last my... "simple Simon "  sparkly INKTMBER  23 CHALLENGE
DAY 28. SPARKLES IN THE WORLD OF PEANUT- SNOOPY AT FIRE WORKS.
One of your best, both in concept and execution. That top left sparkle shows great freedom. @Cyril Jayant

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »
Absolutely delightful all around! Bravo!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram