Author Topic: Leonard 801 nib  (Read 3962 times)

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
Leonard 801 nib
« on: May 04, 2014, 03:31:18 AM »
Yesterday I discovered that my nib - yes, i have just one for the moment - is a Leonard 801. When I bought my nib-holder I didn't even know nibs do have names and i thought it was a Classic, standard one. But now I know it is a leonard 801 nib, I found on the net that it is a mapping nib, what does it mean? And, overall, is this nib adapt for calligraphy? Has everyone tried it?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Leonard 801 nib
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:20:53 AM »
Although this type of nib is often referred to and sold as a mapping pen, it's also called a crow quill as distinct from non-tubular mapping nibs like the Hunt 103.  As the name suggests, their primary intended use is for drawing, including cartography.  They're the finest of the fine, suitable for the tiniest of details, and generally speaking very high quality.

I haven't used the 801, but have played about with quite a few vintage crow quills as well as the three Gillott varieties (2788, 850 and 659).  They're extraordinarily challenging to use, and very smooth paper is a must - for me at least.  Ideal for small pointed pen scripts provided you have a very deft touch - that's definitely not me yet.  Almost anything else would be easier to get started with.

Oblique holders to take them are not so common, by the way: the Paper and Ink Arts adjustable is the only off the shelf option that comes to mind.

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:31:25 AM »
oh, thank you! your reply was really illuminating for me.
I could only find this nib here where i live, so i started with it, but i find it very difficult, without considering that i have to recharge ink so often!

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
@treehugger
Take a look at this thread.
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=434.0
I got most of my stuff w/o looking at it, and I am finding that I am backing into that list. 
So IMHO, it is a GOOD list to start from.
Of the 2 nibs listed the Nikko G is good to get right now, the Hiro is having manufacturing problems so wait a bit to get that nib.
Gary

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:49:00 AM »
Thank you garyn!
I had a look at that, i absolutely want to buy other nibs, but I don't know where. Because of the shipping cost I would pay a lot ordering on the websites you linked. I'm going to search here in Milan, if i don't find anything i'll make a order.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:23:42 AM »
Hi treehugger9, I am also in Europe (Germany). Some calligraphy supplies (especially quality oblique pen holders) are to my knowledge only available in the US, and yes, shipping costs do add up :(. But you can get a lot of good nibs, paper and ink in Europe – have a look at this thread

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=318.0

I don't know how it is in Milan, but I can't even get all the stuff I need in Berlin which is kind of a creative's and artist's hub! So I think there is no alternative to ordering online if you are serious about calligraphy (and believe me – it is a lot more fun if you have good material!! And you will be learning much faster).

I have made good experiences with blotspens.co.uk, they ship fast from UK to Germany (and to Italy as well, I guess), and I found the shipping costs very reasonable. I also like kallipos.de, especially for nibs, but they don't have the Nikko and Zebra G nibs of which many seem to be very fond of (I don't like them very much, I find them too stiff, but that's a personal thing).

http://www.kalligraphie.ch/store/index.php/language/en/XTCsid/qg6m9onvlafe154t5i6els5ql1/cat/c54_Tinten-Tuschen.html/

The Scriptorium am Rheinsprung offers super quality iron gall and walnut ink, home made and very reasonable costwise if you don't buy the smallest bottles (these are too expensive compared to the bigger ones).

I hope that helps!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 05:39:02 AM »
I can second the endorsement of Blots, and I'd also put in a word for J&T's.  They're both in the UK, but Estefa keeps coming up with fascinating suppliers in mainland Europe, so I'm very tempted to look further afield.  :)

We do well on this side of the Atlantic for paper: there's a very good chance you'll be able to pick up Rhodia and Clairefontaine locally, and perhaps Elco too considering how close you are to Switzerland.

Oblique holders are a problem though, if you're interested in learning a style where one would be appropriate such as copperplate or Spencerian.  Your options are a) to put up with a basic black Speedball; b) import from the US; c) make your own, or d) don't bother.  All possible, none ideal.  In my experience, the Speedball is considerably better than nothing to start off with and at least the price is right.

Offline treehugger9

• my name is ALICE ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 03:01:56 AM »
Thanks for replies and advices! Yesterday I found in a shop near the school of fine arts here in Milan some nibs, but most of them do not have any name written on, so i don't know exacly which kind of nibs they are. Maybe I will take a photo of them in order to show you!
I also bought a elbow nib by Mitchell since I don't have an oblique holder.

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 03:57:16 PM »
I'm also looking to find the first nibs to try to get started. I'm in Sweden currently and had no luck locally.
Now if only there would be THE beginner's nib ;)
So hard to decide which to start with... too many choices.

Thanks for sharing all your info and experience!
Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 07:49:33 PM »
treehugger, I've bought leonardt nibs and others from Italy before. I got them while I was on holiday in Rome and Venice. I imagine you should be able to find some in Milan.