Author Topic: Trouble maintaining slant  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Liane636

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Trouble maintaining slant
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
Hello all!

I am very new to copperplate and continue to learn and practice with the help of various books, videos, and Erica’s amazing tutorials! I am struggling with maintaining a 55-degree slant, even with the help of guidelines, which I expect is pretty typical for a newbie.

How long did it take until writing consistently at the 52-55-degree slant came more naturally to you? Any particular tips or tricks that helped?

Thank you so much! I love this community!!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 04:18:12 PM by Liane636 »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble maintaining slant
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »
Thank you Liane!

Maintaining the slant is very tricky and takes a ton of practice. It comes with time and rhythm. I still mark many, many slant lines for guide. All it takes is one off slant to make the whole piece less appealing.

I would suggest using several practice sessions to just focus on slant. Don't worry about anything else, just concentrate on slant. Start off with a pencil and do drills of just lines on the correct slant. Then do just straight lines with a pointed pen, then work on letters. You want to build that slant into your muscle memory.

Try to pay attention to how you are holding your pen, rotate it a bit back and forth to find the right angle for you to achieve the slant, start off slow, then build speed.

I hope that helps!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
I always find it most convenient to use a graph paper to practice the slant.

Offline Liane636

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 10:58:19 AM »
Thank you both so very much. The practice tips and graph paper sketch have been incredibly helpful!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
Erica's advice is spot on IMO
Lack of slant control can destroy an otherwise attractive piece of lettering. Practice can be tedious, but ultimately very rewarding. -stick with it!

Offline arherbgm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
Yes, I HEAR you on the slant "thing".  It's one of my biggest challenges as well.  Great advice here, and for what it's worth I found myself practicing on paper I printed out WITH slant lines on it, then moved to guidelines/slantlines under practice paper.  And I probably use more slantlines than others (every 1/4 in., sometimes even every 1/8 in.). This really helps.  At one point I thought I'd never improve, and now it is much better and I may likely most often use the slantline guidesheet at every 1/4 in. on my lightpad.  Hang in there!