Author Topic: Height of d, t, and p  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Height of d, t, and p
« on: October 25, 2021, 01:43:37 PM »
Remember that as you study Engrosser’s Script (Copperplate), you will see a wide variance in the height of ascenders, sometimes even from the same penman. While there are “rules” per se, personal preference plays a large part. In the samples below, I demonstrate these variances. The guidelines I have created indicate the d, t, and p are all at the same height. This is both based on exemplars from old texts as well as creating a simple starting point for beginners. It is not set in stone so please adjust according to your preference.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
Re: Height of d, t, and p
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 06:23:12 PM »
Wow. this is good guide line and this is something I am still struggling with regards to Copperplate/ English Roundhand and spencerian.
I am doing my drills with cheap A4 ruled books and most of the time I am using a pencil and then switch into a pointed pens and Walnut ink. I have never bothered about guide lines so far but I feel I  always hesitate to do or use a guide line sheet so I see my writing are inconsistent  and missing these rules or guide lines as above. I have already bought some tools and planing to getting into the guide lines seriously. So I am glad I found this thread in time and thank you Erica for your share.