Author Topic: Instagram accounts: one for business, one for personal, or altogether?  (Read 13917 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Instagram accounts: one for business, one for personal, or altogether?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
I have a personal account ... but I haven't used it since I started my calligraphy account :)  I guess I will again if I feel like there are too many people watching the business account, or if I need to whine about something that doesn't really need to be aired to so many people, but I'm keeping it as a business account for now I think.  It's good advertising :D

And I think it's good to put the odd personal photo in there.  It's more interesting to feel like you're following a person than a calligraphy robot.  Just not too many personal ones. :D

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:50 PM »
Hehe I understand Briana! As you may have noticed I have just changed my instagram names and opened a new personal one. Now I can post pics of my silly dog and I!

Haha, I saw you did this *right* after posting my decision to wait. Then thought "Ah man! If Schin can do it, I can do it!" I can't wait to see pictures of Rice! Noodles gave me a high five when I said she had a fellow carb cat friend.
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:25 PM »
Lol! In fact I did it before you posted.. well after typing the reply, I got up and went to the break room and was thinking about it.. the more I thought the more it made sense. So I just changed it right then and there. You can tell I am an impatient person..

Say hi to Noodles for me! Ricey is definitely carb heavy.. she's getting bigger by the day..
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »
And I think it's good to put the odd personal photo in there.  It's more interesting to feel like you're following a person than a calligraphy robot.  Just not too many personal ones. :D

That's my philosophy too. But I have to admit that I'm one of those people Amy mentioned who don't post any pictures of myself. If I'm going to post something personal, an animal or my daughters are so much more fun to look at.  :) I probably should get over it, though, and post one every so often.

Offline JamieS

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • All the Pretty Letters
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 12:47:30 AM »
Hey Briana!

I totally get it...I recently split my accounts for the same reasons you listed above.  I didn't think calligraphy would be more than a one-time project, and now, I'm considering developing it into a career!  It was that reason that pushed me to open a calligraphy account on IG separate from my personal.  I felt bad about the onslaught of project pictures, coupled by the daily family pics I was taking.  Too much.  PLUS, I follow all my calligrapher "friends" through my calligraphy account, and I like that they are organized in one place.  When I'm looking for inspiration, I go to my calligraphy acct, and don't have to scroll through my siblings' party pics. 

Like it was mentioned before, there is no easy way around a double account on IG...it's login/logout.  I uploaded fotogramme also, but haven't used it as much as I thought I would.

Good luck!  I'd love to follow you, whatever you choose!

Jamie
alltheprettyletters on Instagram

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but I like seeing glimpses of calligrapher's lives now and then. I like it when I see what Linda has been eating, how cute Moya's niece is, what Joi's kids are up to, what pets you all have ... it's nice to see the person behind the work. Therefore, I assume that others might feel the same and so I also post a random anecdote now and then.

@Schin: Wuffles!! Yay!!
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Emily

• View Profile
    • Emily V Fitzpatrick Designs
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
I used to get offended when people would unfollow me whenever I posted a non-lettering photo... but now I just feel like, 'who the heck cares? This is me, take it or leave it.' Switching back and forth between two accounts would drive me nuts, so there's only one @emvfitzpatrick on Instagram, haha
instagram  •  website  •  facebook

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »
I really enjoy seeing everyone's personal pics along with the calligraphy. I completely LOVED National Dog day and how everyone had pictures of their fur babies . I, however, am slightly nosey  ::), do not have a calligraphy business and use instagram for social and inspirational purposes.

I think making a post to announce that you are moving you calligraphy or personal stuff to a different account, like Schin did, is a good idea. that allows your followers to make a decision to move over or follow both etc. you can run the risk poor visibility but maybe cross-posting on both accounts for a short period of time to insure your followers are informed.
-an over enthusiastic newbie
http://instagram.com/tewshortforu

Offline winkandwonder

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Wink & Wonder
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
I had a personal IG account prior to starting calligraphy/lettering. It was easier for me to post under a separate name because I wasn't yet ready to share my work-in-progress stuff with friends and family. I liked the anonymity - I could send my work out into the internet world and get feedback that was honest from people who had no emotional connection to me, if that makes sense...?

I used to post illustrations on my personal account and get requests from friends to draw this or draw that for "fun" for them. That is, in fact, often not fun for me. A separate account is also especially helpful when I post things during work hours (shhhh!).  ;)  It IS a pain in the butt to switch back and forth between accounts though. I use an iPad app (Padgram) at home that lets me toggle between the two.

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »
I have one just for calligraphy and a personal account. I hardly ever look at the personal one anymore, but when I do I just log out and back in on my phone. My phone saves my usernames so I just have to start it with the first couple of letters and it will auto fill in the rest. But as I said, I hardly switch back to my personal one, so maybe that's why I don't think it's a big deal. If I checked it often maybe it would be a different story.

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 12:14:52 AM »
I've got 2 Instagram accounts.  My personal account is private, and I'm terribly selective about who I allow to follow me, the general rule being that followers have to personally know my children.  That's where I post family photos, mostly for my extended family to see photos of my kids.  For a lot of reasons, I don't post photos of my children publicly.  I don't post them on Facebook either.  Even though my Facebook is "private," as a general rule, I'll accept anyone whom I know, and I use it more like a networking tool, like another version of LinkedIn.

My other Instagram account is public and focuses primarily on my business.  That's where I connect with all of you guys!   :D  At first, it was strictly business and my work, but I've started trying to throw some "personal" stuff in there from time to time, like showing the Lego building I constructed with my son, for example.  So, I'm open about showing the world that I have tiny humans in my life, but you just won't see photos of them on there.  I realized that I like seeing personal elements of all of your lives, so I thought I'd share a little, too!  But it's still 95% business, I suppose.
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 10:10:33 AM »
I feel the same way with pics of my kids. Since anyone can follow on a public account, I'm pretty hesitant to put photos of them on there. I think I've included a photo that has a part of one kid's arm, and one that has one kid's foot, ha. I save my personal photos for my private one, or at least I did when I used it! Now I only use it on occasion. I know my public one is sorely lacking in personal touch, though. I didn't expect there to be such a welcoming and friendly community - I thought it would be just a bunch of random strangers. I love getting to see glimpses of who everyone is on there.

Offline tangledpen

• View Profile
    • tangledpen
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 03:46:55 PM »
...I was thinking about this recently too. So far IG is my 'art' account and fb is fro family and friends...
(But I do like IG much more than fb)
Same here, I really enjoy some personal glimpses of everyone's non-calligraphic ;ife (perhaps I should post some too ;))

Anyway - a few days back i was searching for a way to havdle two IG accounts simultaneously - if I remember correctly there was an app that was called 'instwogram' (I'm on my PC and have to get off now - but will double check tomorrow)
Perhaps that helps?!

OK - off now - night time here!

Jana

instagram.com/tangledpen

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »
I have one IG account for everything, personal, photography and the occasional calligraphy post. I find that I don't do enough calligraphy to warrant a separate account just for it. I also curate my feed carefully, for sillier pictures, I use FB, Snapchat or just message it to friends. When I do post anything calligraphy related and hashtag it, people will still find it. I do like scrolling through people's feeds and finding a mix of calligraphy vs. life photos though! :) Makes them seem more real, I think.

Offline Mollyebelle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
I struggle with this same thing!  I only just started really working on my calligraphy so it continues to be included in my daily life on my personal Instagram. Personally I love seeing into the lives of my fellow calligraphers and Flourish Forum peeps because although the calligraphy is beautiful and inspiring, I would love to consider them friends as well! 

I think once I'm able to progress to a business I will absolutely separate them but for now, it will continue to have my shameless selfies (I work at home so I don't have the need to wear makeup or wear real clothes much), the most precious pictures of my dog and a random smattering of life with friends and my other hobbies.   I'm pretty fun, I promise!