Author Topic: ProCreate Calligraphy & Lettering!  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
ProCreate Calligraphy & Lettering!
« on: March 31, 2022, 08:59:07 PM »
I have been doing a lot of work on my ipad lately using the ProCreate app. This app is absolutely incredible and complete game changer for calligraphers and lettering artists. I am taking a few lettering classes and have been practicing my Spencerian and vaguely Madarasz script  ;D using the ipad pencil. Anyone else? I would love to see what others are doing.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline way2bizzy

• View Profile
Re: ProCreate Calligraphy & Lettering!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 08:23:59 AM »
Beautiful work! I’ve been playing with ProCreate for a few months. The main reason I got it was for lettering, but I quickly decided it wasn’t for me and ended up only using it for digital sketching and painting. Now I’ve decided to go back and give digital calligraphy and lettering a real shot.
I’ve decided the best way to learn digital calligraphy (Copperplate and Spencerian are my favorites) is exactly the way I learned the pen and ink versions— daily practice of the individual strokes and letterforms. I did about 3 pages per day of one or two letters/ strokes….so I’ve just started to do the same in ProCreate. It’s been fun getting started and seeing actual progress.

I would love to see more people post with their experiences/ tips/ samples in ProCreate.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience @way2bizzy ! I love doing calligraphy on ProCreate. And you are right - that is the best way to practice - just as you would on paper. It is a different tool but can get amazing results.

I also really like the tutorials on Every Tuesday. She has both free and paid tutorials and they are a fabulous way to learn the ins and outs of ProCreate while creating some cool art and lettering.

Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jordantruster

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 03:22:23 PM »
I know this post is from over a year ago but I just wanted to say that I love seeing your Procreate work, Erica! Do you have any recollection of what Procreate brush you used? I like the subtle texture.

From what I've seen on social media, most people that do calligraphy in Procreate are aiming for a modern or brush lettering style, so it's nice to see pointed pen style calligraphy too. yamohcreates on IG is one of the few people I can think of that does realistic Copperplate on the iPad.

What I struggle with is trying to make my work look "too perfect" and hitting the undo button until I get it "right" 😂

Attaching something I created yesterday and hoping this thread resurfaces to see if anyone else does Copperplate or Spencerian in Procreate :)
- Jordan

My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 07:00:27 PM »
Fabulous!

Thank you for sharing. I do so much on Procreate now! It’s often easier for work that is going to be reproduced because I don’t have to worry about scanning it.

This brush is one that replicates a Leonardt Principal. It’s by InkedHandStudio on Etsy. It is my Go To for sure.

I have Yamocreates brushes as well.

I also do some brush calligraphy on ProCreate but usually do more Copperplate or Spencerian.  ;D

Gotta love the undo button! ProCreate is such a great way to practice and, especially, do layout without wasting a lot of paper and ink.

Your Spencerian is fantastic!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 08:34:06 AM »
Both of you ladies are truly amazing. Beautiful work! I hope to be half this good someday.

Offline jordantruster

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 10:25:51 AM »
Beautiful! I love using Procreate for designing layouts because it's so much easier to move things around, try out different options for flourishes, etc.

But, I have a very hard time stepping away from a project because it can always be "more perfect". I can always try again on a new layer or use the eraser to fix an "imperfection". In fact, I tend to be more satisfied with my work on paper because I there's no undo button--what's done is done.
- Jordan

My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 11:57:20 AM »
I absolutely feel that.  ;D  Sometimes I even go back to finished ProCreate projects and redo them! But it’s a nice way to improve, too. Because I can see my flaws and improve next time.

It has made designing layouts infinitely easier. Even if I plan to do it on paper as a final, I will figure out the layout in ProCreate first. Game changer!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2023, 10:27:55 AM »
Thank you @Erica McPhee @jordantruster for this share.
I bought a new iPad and a pencil and trying to learn more about ProCreator and how to get into digital calligraphy. I am doing some research and so far I am  at level Zero. I guess I am able to get into what I want to do in calligraphy on iPad.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2023, 11:24:19 AM »
@Cyril Jayant That’s so exciting! Definitely check out the free tutorials on Every Tuesday. So much to learn there. I am also taking the Ultimate ProCreate Course. I haven’t made it through yet but there is a lot. You can also find a ton of free tutorials on YouTube.

Have fun! Hope you’ll share what you do after some practice!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jordantruster

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »
@Cyril Jayant So exciting that you're getting started with iPad Calligraphy! Erica gave some great suggestions above.

We have a free "getting started" course that includes a Procreate Brush, Workbook, and step-by-step videos: https://loveleighloops.teachable.com/p/ipad-calligraphy-basics

As well as some videos on our YouTube channel.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help! :)

-Jordan
- Jordan

My Instagram

Offline Sally Ellington

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 03:24:45 PM »
Jordan, your Spencerian Procreate brush is my absolute favorite!!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 05:39:18 PM »
I forgot to mention @jordantruster ’s Spencerian ProCreate class is fantastic. It is so thoughtful and so well planned out. The worksheets are fabulous. It is a GREAT way to learn Spencerian.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jordantruster

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 11:05:04 AM »
Thank you @Erica McPhee, that means a lot! 💕
- Jordan

My Instagram

Offline Wanderful Writs

• Freshman Member
  • Modern Calligrapher and Flourishing Enthusiast :)
    • View Profile
    • Wanderful Writs
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 10:04:25 PM »
Calligraphy Practice
@wanderfulwrits

Wanderful Writs – Capturing moments through spreading glee with calligraphy and flourishing!