Author Topic: What's your workstation like?  (Read 51522 times)

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
What's your workstation like?
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of setting up my workstation really soon and I'm trying to come up with inspiration. I currently work in a center table with floor pillows--not the most comfortable scene if you're doing hours of calligraphy--as I have not bought a worktable yet. My apartment is so small that I decided on going Japanese-style with my furniture a few years back.

Please post photos if you can :)
Katia | Manila, Philippines
Instagram: thedesignhobbyist

Offline tmishler

• Freshman Member
  • beginner
    • View Profile
Re: What's your workstation like?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:09:37 AM »
ooooh pictures would be so nice!!
I too am thinking about a work area.. other than the kitchen table that is!
Tami Mishler
Fairview, Tennessee

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
Oh, I like this topic! I hope others will post! This is how my studio looked before my oldest took over the room! I then took over part of the living room. It is a disaster right now but when I clean it up a bit, I'll post pics. Same furniture, etc. just different room. Initially I had my lightbox on the right side wing. But now with video taping, I moved it to the long piece. I like it much more as I have room to move around and space on either side for STUFF - which does pile up!

Believe me, it is never this clean! This was just after it was finished! I have a standing workstation (computer) to the left of this workstation.

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
LOL Linda! That is funny!

I like how you have your station set up. Such easy access to all of your supplies. The shelf is a great idea, too. I am constantly running out of space!

When we're done with calligraphy, you and I could play with your dolls and my dragonfly and seahorse!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 08:49:35 PM »
Thank you for posting! I've browsed through craft room photos on Pinterest and most of them I see with white or monotone color scheme too. I guess it helps declutter the view,  expecting a lot of this and that all over. I am envious of the space and shelving that you both have!

Offline Emily

• View Profile
    • Emily V Fitzpatrick Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
Erica, all those draaaaaaaawers... and Linda, I'm super jealous of all your shelving, too. I definitely need more storage...  ::)

Can't post pictures of my office right now, since we're moving and it's just a pile of junk... but I will post in the summer once we're settled.  :)  I bought a fairly cheap desk a while back (mainly just for my desktop/laptop), and I hate it. Hoping to find a new one soon. I have the Futura craft station table, which I like, but if I tilt the table to write, I don't really have any space to place my materials (ink, etc). Hmmm, guess I'll start a Pinterest board.  ;)
instagram  •  website  •  facebook

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »
I would have thought the light box/lightpads of most calligraphers would be one of the mainstays on their desks. So do you ladies just pull out this lightbox only when you need to do some tracing?

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 02:57:59 AM »
I only use the Lightpad when I do envelope addressing & have it stored on a shelf in its sleeve. I also do broad-nib calligraphy that uses a slant board and that takes up most of the desk space. I also sew on that table when time allows. I really need 3 more desks  ;D

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
I keep my lightbox out at all times now. I just didn't have it out for this picture.  :D It is on *very* rare occasions I don't use a lightbox. Usually, when I am doing a big piece that requires lines.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »
I'm in the process of combining a calligraphy work area with my office. I have plenty of room with a very large separated work surface and lots of built-in bookshelves, but I've ordered drawer units from Home Decorator's to house the clutter which drives me crazy. I've also ordered fun boxes for paper storage from Paper Source. I should have things finished up next week (providing I don't decide to repaint which is a distinct possibility). I'm excited to share once things get rearranged.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »
Ooohhh Ellen! I can't wait to see!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
When finally, I had my office at home, my fellow husband found the clue : we've bought a big table (used usually as a diner table: with two glass's plans)
On the first plan (below),I've put inks and all Stuff needed for work and two strips fluorescents. on the top plane (above), I can write. When I need the lightbox, I just have to turn the lights on  : easier makes better ;)
....the table Is not as clean normaly.... It's all the time awfully very busy : so, just for you : empty table for the pics  ;)

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 08:27:38 PM »
I got started today as I wait for my goodies to arrive. I decided I wanted a magnetic wall so while I was at HD, picked up some Rustoleum magnetic primer. Spent the afternoon painting exactly as directed and magnets won't stick! I'm returning the paint but I have another idea I hope to start on tomorrow. Do you all find that you fill each and every horizontal surface no matter how hard you try to keep it clear? I'm hoping a big magnetic wall will help keep things a bit more organized.

I've started a Pinterest board here: http://www.pinterest.com/ewigginton/office-redo/?show_reg=True&invite_code=111b0175aefbd69b4b25b5e731c9e239&e_t_s=link&e_t=a11bdc42c46140d9a31a39794be03cf8&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_conversation_share_conversation_board_share_conversation_board_to_non_user

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »
Nora that is so clever! And I love all your butterflies!  :D

Ellen - this is great! Same drawers as me -- and in my favorite color! LOVE!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline katianaval

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 01:59:23 AM »
Same as Erica, I love the drawers, Ellen! Wish these were available in Manila.

Nora, that's a very smart idea to put light under the table! saves space!