Author Topic: Hello from Nebraska  (Read 825 times)

Offline Matt S.

• View Profile
Hello from Nebraska
« on: June 16, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to calligraphy.  I've always appreciated fine and fancy lettering and finally just decided to try it.  Bought a copperplate starter kit with a book and I've been practicing for a few months when I have the time and energy (we have 3 small children).

I found the forum while searching the internet for solutions to getting my ink to flow better.  Some of the colored inks I bought release a lot at once, leaving a huge blob on my paper.  The best trick I've found so far is just to add water - it helps, but still doesn't flow as well as the Higgins Eternal that came with my kit.

I'm looking forward to learning and helping others when I can, and I wish to thank you all for letting me be a part of your community!

- Matt

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Nebraska
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 10:29:06 PM »
Hi Matt!  Welcome to the forum.  :)  Good for you getting started on new things!  Some colored inks really can be tricky.  You'll find plenty of good advice and helpful insight here.  I am a big fan of Higgins Eternal myself, though I know some don't care for it too much.  Which nibs are you enjoying most so far?

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »
Matt, welcome! Hope you are finding time to play--er, write--while the kids are playing happily. This forum is a fantastic resource, and you can find so many interesting and useful tips in the archives. I've been practicing for almost six months and found help with guidelines and nibs here, in addition to many inspiring exemplars and teachers. Let us know what nibs you enjoy using--most of us are hopeless nib addicts.   :D

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Matt.  I personally dislike most colored inks, especially acrylics, and rely on good quality gouache to suit my color needs.  Should that interest you, you'll certainly find tips in the forum on how to mix and use it.  Of course, this is entirely a personal preference, so I offer that as merely an option for you to try when you find the time. ;)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »
Hi Matt,
I agree - I find colored inks difficult. I have found Gum Arabic can be helpful in thinning it so it works a little smoother. But I like using watercolors or gouache like Bianca. It flows better.

My favorite inks are McCaffrey’s and walnut ink.

Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram