Author Topic: Tattoo Design – What's the Final Format?  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Pauline_HappyHandsProject

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Happy Hands Project
Tattoo Design – What's the Final Format?
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm working on a tattoo design. I'm on my final round of revisions (I hope!) and wondering how I should deal with the final artwork. Should I save a vector file so that it's clean and crisp? Or do you just scan the final design in hi-res? I'm supposed to send her the file and she'll be the one to print. This is my first tattoo design and I want my client to be very satisfied – it's her first, too! Thanks so much!

xo
Pauline
www.happyhandsproject.com | @happyhandsproj | facebook.com/HappyHandsProject | happyhandsproject.etsy.com

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
Re: Tattoo Design – What's the Final Format?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
Hi Pauline, I've done several tattoo's design and my clients only needed the hi res. :) of the original design... depends on the person who Will do the final tattoo maybe ask  :)
 ;)Nora

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
I'd also ask the printer / person who does the final tattoo – I do that with illustration jobs also always. They know generally best what they need!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
Very cool! Always a daunting task to do work that will be forever etched on someone's skin! Like Stefanie and Nora responded, ask the client to ask the tattoo artist. They may only need the high res in JPG format.

I find the vector process can sometimes make it look more like a font and less like hand lettered so it will also depend upon what the client wants for the final look.

Good luck! Share a picture if you can!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline kshort

• Freshman Member
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Karen Short Art
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »
Speaking from the perspective of a tattoo artist - I only ever needed a high res (good quality) JPG.
-Karen

Offline Pauline_HappyHandsProject

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Happy Hands Project
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I will still tell her to check with her artist, and will provide a clean hi-res scan once the design is confirmed. Thanks for all your help! :)
www.happyhandsproject.com | @happyhandsproj | facebook.com/HappyHandsProject | happyhandsproject.etsy.com

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 11:35:08 PM »
I've done two tattoos (only one of which was calligraphy based), and both times I provided different artwork! The first time my friend took in a printed sketch, and the second time I e-mailed a PDF. The same artist did both tattoos, and both turned out well :)
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)