Author Topic: Hello from Germany/Malaysia  (Read 993 times)

Offline gracefulgiftedhands

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Germany/Malaysia
« on: October 21, 2019, 12:36:35 AM »
Hi friends,

I am Rachel, a Malaysian, currently in the process of moving to Germany. :)

I have only dabbled in Copperplate/ES so far but am interested in moving on to Spence, OP and Madarasz Script in the next few months. I think the first time I've encountered calligraphy was in college when I wanted to find a new hobby and chanced upon Lindsay Bugbee's website (The Postman's Knock). From then on, I was super curious about it. However at that time (ca. 2015?) that was the only resource I had and I got frustrated really quickly, without proper instruction and guidance.

And in 2017/2018 when I entered the world of Instagram, I found Nina Tran's IG, and it was such a fantastic resource for a beginner like me. Since then I've been lurking on IG, but not really finding the time to write (classic excuse), until Nina came to KL (July2019) and I was really inspired by her diligence and passion for calligraphy. So since then I've been doing my best to practice every day to improve my script!

In my free time, I love going to museums and reading about History. Palace of Versailles and Hampton Court are on my to-visit list. That's also why in the future, I'd be ECSTATIC to learn more about Illuminated Letters.

Fun facts:
  • I am a jack of all trades but master of none.
  • I speak 4 languages (+1 dialect)
  • I have horrible handwriting
  • I did an undergrad degree in Genetics (soooo relevant, I know... ::))
  • I am quite sentimental and have kept almost every (scribbled) note my friends have given me
  • I dislike bananas. They just taste and smell horrible. BLEUGH.
  • History GEEK.

I'd love to have the opportunity to learn from each of you! :)

P/s: I assure you, gracefulgiftedhands is my IG handle and not my name  ;)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Hello from Germany/Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 12:29:55 PM »
Rachel,

Welcome to the forum!  You're in the company of many people here with bad handwriting (but beautiful calligraphy) and a love of history, myself included. 

Bianca

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
@Bianca M Thank you Bianca for the warm welcome. I'm very excited to be a part of this forum :)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 03:17:38 AM »
Welcome, Rachel! We’ve met on IG, you make beautiful work! If you come near Berlin, we could actually meet one day (I live close by – send me a DM if you’re interested ;).

Have fun here, @Erica McPhee has created a perfect calligraphy hangout place here!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 02:15:50 PM »
Welcome Rachel!
I loved learning about you and have enjoyed seeing your work on Instagram! Happy you found us.  ;D
Truly,
Erica
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 04:47:09 AM »
@Estefa thank you for your encouragement! :) I would love to meet you and will definitely take you up on that offer whenever I'm in Berlin. Currently relocating to NRW, and packing is THE WORST.

@Erica McPhee thanks for creating this fun climate and community! It's such a joy to be able to learn from everyone and share ideas. <3