Author Topic: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen  (Read 125425 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:29 AM »
@AnasaziWrites

That is just awesome.   Thanks for putting in the time and effort to give those nibs a whirl.   I'm sorry the 342 was sprung.   Did I actually send it to you that way?   If so, I'm happy to send you a couple more.

I'd love to see the original artwork.   Yes, that 126 is a bit rigid, especially for a nib called "Double Spring."  It's a sharp little beast though.   I'm most partial to the Perry 440 myself, which is what I'm currently using as my default.   I'd like to master that 342 over time, but I'm still intimidated by that beak.

Thanks again for the feedback!

K
@Krapprot
Yes the 342 was sprung on arrival, but that's easy to miss if you're not looking for it. Easiest way to spot it is to hold the nib up to a strong light--you'll see light coming through the slit. Confirmed with a 10x loupe. I didn't bother to check it before I used it, but is became obvious with the first stroke--it couldn't make a fine line. No need to send another--save them to further experiment yourself.

Please excuse the roughness of the sample lines--no fine calligraphy here, just a rough and ready test of the nibs.
I'll be in touch.
Thanks again,

Mike

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
Have another great vintage nib to recommend.

I've been interested in the Leon Isaac's Company pens for quite a while now. The quality is always superb. Most of their pens are standard office-type pens. Most range from firm to firm-flex with a few semi-flex (like their version of the bank pen) with one exception, the #27 which is a very flexible and sharp spear-shaped pen. But it's a little long to use with an oblique holder.

Yesterday I received a mixed lot of Leon Isaacs pens, and in a box of the #12 falcon stubs (Leon Isaacs invented and had the first patent for a falcon stub before Esterbrook), I found a large group of a small, straight pen, their #14 "Teacher" pen.

These are about the same size as a Spencerian No.1 so they fit quite well within an oblique holder. The two I've tried I would rank somewhere between a Spencerian No. 1 and a vintage Gilliott's 303. It's more flexible and slightly sharper than the Spencerian (easily can flex to 5x the hairline width), but much smoother than a 303. The spring is nicely responsive without being stiff. It also impresses me as a much more robust and durable pen than the 303, and Leon Isaacs & Co pens are most definitely very well made and generally last longer. In their day they were more expensive than Esterbrooks and were known for their "Glucinum" finish. Glucinum is the old term used for beryllium. I've not been able to confirm that they actually used beryllium in the coating, but I'm not sticking one in my mouth to find out.   

The bad news is that you'll probably never run into these in the wild. I've been collecting Leon Isaacs for over a year and this is the first time I've ever seen this number. The good news is that if you do, they'll probably be fairly cheap. For $15.99 plus shipping I was able to get 120 of the very nice Bank Pens (better even than the estimable Esterbrook 14), 80 of the Falcon stubs, and 96 of these #14 teacher pens. Plus a few random ones that had found their way in there. That's just around $0.5 cents a nib.

Anyway, in my continuing advocacy for the less-well-known pens of the past, I just thought I'd share with y'all another wonderful old pen that I think you would enjoy.

You can see below a very poor example of my writing. My hands are just not warmed up enough this morning (or warmed up in the wrong way, I've been typing all morning) and it's bad even for me, but you can get the idea. The x-height on this practice page is 6mm to give you an idea of scale.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »
Playing around with some recent acquisitions.

Offline Tales from the Nib

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
I must look out for some of these nibs to try, the second from the bottom also looks a little like the Blanzy 2500 Sgt Major doesn't it  :)

Offline Krapprot

• Khalepą tą kalį
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2017, 07:25:11 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the vintage No. 29 "Lance" nib by Gilbert & Blanzy-Poure?  There was a box of them sitting on eBay for awhile that I impulsively grabbed a few days ago.  I really should've asked around first before grabbing it.  Has anyone used this nib?  Good, bad, mediocre?  Comparisons?

K

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2017, 11:46:36 PM »
Another good nib that I discovered in a mixed  lot is the Esterbrook 228 and I was able to get 24 of them today for less than 2.00 a nib.  Not bad.   I have two large lots that should be delivered within the week.  I cannot wait to see what they will bring.   There was no real description and I could not make out all of the nibs with the pictures.   This is fun.   

Offline cherylwillblossom

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2017, 02:22:40 AM »
I started out with Nikko G, but my current favorite nib is the Gillot 303! but for beginners the Brause Steno is really good, it's smooth and sturdy, not as tough as the Nikko G.

Offline Elizher Luz

• Freshman Member
  • Onward & Upward
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »
I started out my Copperplate with the Tachikawa G and the Zebra G and i loved them! Only recently i found and tried out a Hunt 22 i found in my craft case, and i immediately switched over. I've been using the Hunt 22 ever since, butI'm planning on ordering some different ones like the Gillot 303 and Hunt 56 to experiment some more.

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2017, 01:43:00 AM »

Offline Sue W

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2017, 04:13:20 AM »
Hello, I like a Zebra G nib. I think like all fairly new calligraphers it's quite easy to handle.  I've also enjoyed the Leonard Principal, nice fine hairlines achieved with this one.  I'm waiting for some vintage Baignol & Farjon Cementee  2436 nibs to arrive, I've heard they're good.... anyone tried them?
Sue W

Offline Rachael

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2017, 03:19:05 AM »
I see Gillot 303 quite a bit on this thread. But when I tried them I had a lot of duds, and it sprang quite a bit on me. Is that still a problem? Or have they upped the quality control lately?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
@Sue W  I like the Zebra G as well. I haven't heard of the other one. I hope it worked well.  :D

@RachaelS That seems to be the case with the 303 overall. I have always found them to be a bit glitchy.  :(
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Rachael

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »
I'm looking to try out nibs and experiment a bit. I currently use a Zebra G and I love it! However I know the Leonardt Principle is popular and I'm curious to try it. But I get my Zebras for a Lot cheaper.

I've also tried the 303 but I had so many bad nibs in a batch of 50 that only 20 were usable. Not worth the money to me.

What inexpensive nibs do you guys love?

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
I'm looking to try out nibs and experiment a bit. I currently use a Zebra G and I love it! However I know the Leonardt Principle is popular and I'm curious to try it. But I get my Zebras for a Lot cheaper.

I've also tried the 303 but I had so many bad nibs in a batch of 50 that only 20 were usable. Not worth the money to me.

What inexpensive nibs do you guys love?

Vintage.  One tip for buying vintage, if it has "College" or "University" in its name, the odds are that it is reasonably flexible. Also anything marked "EF" has a reasonable chance to be as good as a Zebra. And they're often cheaper (but not always). No promises, but more times than not you'll find something that's pretty good.

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2020, 06:40:24 AM »
As a total newbie who knows nothing . . . . yet, I have the nerve to have fallen in love with my new Hunt 101.  I also purchased a Gillott the other day but have not pulled it out because of being enamored with the Hunt.

Per Lindsey Bugbee's recommendation I started with the Nikko G  :o; not impressed.  Then I saw a fellow student writing with the Tachikawa G and just knew it was heaven; purchased it.  Then I saw writing with the Hunt and Gillott and that Hunt gives me the thin lines that I love.  Clearly it is about controlling the nib and not the other way around; but I just couldn't with the G's.  It just occurred to me, say, six months to a year down the line if I pick up my G's again, what the difference will be.  I'd say a heapa bunch.  Meanwhile, I am sticking with my Hunt 101.   ;D
Cheerfully,
Lyric