Author Topic: Free Set of 71 Spencerian Worksheets  (Read 59116 times)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Free Set of 71 Spencerian Worksheets
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2020, 07:00:04 AM »
IMHO Spencerian is not a base for copperplate. Spencerian was designed by Platt Rogers Spencer as a running hand and is a lovely hand for everyday penmanship.
He based it on organic shapes and it is very rhythmic.
Yes, it has fewer shades than copperplate, but the shapes are quite different.
Rather than ovals, the basic shape is more of a teardrop.

Exemplars that simply drop the shades from copperplate are not true to Spencerian.
The IAMPETH website is a good place to find the original Spencerian exemplars.
This is just one link - there are more.

https://www.iampeth.com/pdf/new-spencerian-compendium

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2020, 01:55:11 PM »
It is not really an unshaded Copperplate. Spencerian is more like a shaded Palmer method penmanship or business hand. It has a very different look than Copperplate. But you still use pressure and release with a pointed pen, similar to Copperplate.  ;D

Enjoy that class and focus on Copperplate for now.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
IMHO Spencerian is not a base for copperplate.

https://www.iampeth.com/pdf/new-spencerian-compendium

That might be a good thing for me. Not sure why PAScribe says it is. He probably stated why.  Nonetheless I want to learn a fast hand that's legible. Beginning calligraphy on Monday and I did not want to wait years to begin.  At 60 I only have so many left. 😜
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Mark O.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2020, 10:29:11 PM »
This is absolutely amazing, thank you!!!

Offline theplutus

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 08:03:51 PM »
Edit 2016-09-08 22:27 - 'About this Document' section finalised. Draft watermark removed. The latest version can be found HERE.
Edit 2016-08-22 22:37 - 'About this Document' section added.
Edit 2016-08-22 06:04 - Added Plate 2 and moved the document's download location.
Edit 2016-08-21 18:44 - Completed all shapes, including Principles and Figures.
Edit 2016-08-19 08:15 - Added first row of capitals, O - Z.
Edit 2016-08-18 22:28 - Completed lower case letters, added title page.
Edit 2016-08-17 22:03 - Added letters a - b.
Edit 2016-08-16 22:03 - Added letters w - o.

---

Last weekend I have taken this exquisite scan made by @SeanM of Plate 2 of the New Spencerian Compendium, and isolated all letter shapes from the second half of the plate. My goal is to turn these into a set of worksheets that would make it easier for people (including myself) to practise the plate's contents.

Please find attached the first two worksheets, for the miniscules 'i' and 'u'. Every sheet consists of four sections:

1) A full grid exercise
2) An exercise on a simpler grid with only a base line, x-height line, ascender/descender heights, and one slant line per letter
3) Exercise 2 repeated without slant lines or x-height line
4) A final base line exercise, where ascenders and descenders overlap by one x-height

Please note that this is still very much work in progress. Using LaTeX and TikZ, I've automated the creation of the sheets to such an extent that adding the next one is reduced to creating a high-precision digital 'stamp' of the next letter and using this in a new work sheet generation instruction to be added to the overall script. So far I've only made two stamps so this is why I can't share more sheets at the moment. Updated sets will certainly follow!

I would be very interested in what you think of the result so far. Would a set like this serve a need? Anything in the sheets you would have done differently? Any other thoughts?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

This is exactly what I was looking for an exemplar which shows how the letters are constructed and practice. Thank you very much for your effort.

Offline sanne137

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2021, 10:29:37 AM »
Thank you so much for all your work! <3 This is also exactly what I was looking for! :)
I considered making something like this myself but without programming experience it would take forever. And here I find it better than I could have ever done myself. So generous and clever.

If I can ask a question: Is it possible to add empty worksheets with just the lines? Your lines look so calm compared to other guidelines. And I would love be able to practice words on the same lines when I’m ready.

Thanks again!

Offline Ruben77

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2021, 08:22:26 AM »
Thanks a lot for your hard work creating this worksheet. As a beginner who have never attempted this script, I see your introduction and the design of the sheets very easy to understand and to follow. I may not use it right now, but I'm sure this will be my first to-go option when starting Spencerian in the future.