Author Topic: After the basics where do I go?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Lindagreenart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
After the basics where do I go?
« on: March 03, 2021, 04:50:10 AM »
So I've been practicing my copperplate for a couple of months now and I'm pleased with the results so far, I can confidently make decent looking minuscules and majuscules but I don't know where to go from here to progress forward.

I can keep writing the same letters over and over but I want my practice to be effective and I don't want to get bored either. And at my level, I don't know what I should know.

I can't really justify lessons with a calligrapher.

Should I buy a book? Is there an online course that you would recommend that isn't prohibitively expensive? I've been following Dr Vitolo's book and videos but I'm getting a bit bored with this.

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
Re: After the basics where do I go?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 08:57:11 AM »
I know what you mean. I’ve been wondering the same thing myself about effective practice.  I spent a long long time with Eleanor Winters Mastering Copperplate book.  I am now trying to study copperplate in the Zanarian Manual.  Eleanor Winters second book “Italic and Copperplate The Basics And Beyond” has Homework at the end of each chapter which is helpful for ideas of things to practice.  I read once that you should always be working on something...I do think I learn the most when I am “ doing” something... even little things like an envelope.
Teresa

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 10:25:35 AM »
This is a great question. Many students of calligraphy never make it past practicing letters over and over. But where you make the best progress is when you start creating things. Make a few birthday cards or some sympathy cards to keep on hand. Write a few quotes. Start jumping in to learning the composition part - see how letters, words, and sentences work together in a piece. This is why you learn calligraphy right?

There are a couple of great books that have calligraphy projects. But Instagram and Pinterest are free and FULL of inspiration. The only way to make progress from here is to pull it altogether and start creating.

I like these books (affiliate links):
By Hand: The Art of Modern Lettering

Super Simple Hand Lettering Projects

The poorly named but great book: Calligraphy in 24 Hours

If you visit our Books and Supplies Page there are a few more.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:55:13 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
Thanks, Erica, for this referral.  For $6 I purchased Calligraphy in 24 Hours  :D.  Should be here next week.  Glad OP asked this question.

Chow!
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 08:49:44 AM »
As a self-learner I've been there and I know what you are going through. I think that Erica is right. When you feel sufficiently confident with individual letters start writing sections of text. Keep some of your early efforts. Later on it will be very encouraging to see how much progress you've made. If any of the letter forms are giving you trouble, concentrate of practicing only them,  until they look right. Avoid doing what you can already do, over and over again. It may feel good but, as part of the learning process, it's a bit pointless. Above all else enjoy your writing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:52:00 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »
As a self-learner I've been there and I know what you are going through. I think that Erica is right. When you feel sufficiently confident with individual letters start writing sections of text. Keep some of your early efforts. Later on it will be very encouraging to see how much progress you've made. If any of the letter forms are giving you trouble, concentrate of practicing only them,  until they look right. Avoid doing what you can already do, over and over again. It may feel good but, as part of the learning process, it's a bit pointless. Above all else enjoy your writing.

This morning I stumbled upon advice from a Mr. Fraser and I wrote it out and will write it cursive in one (or two) of my journals.  It included the meaning of "master" as in "get to the stage where you can make the forms without thinking . . . and do it well."  Gonna drill that in to my head.  Seems I wanna learn all the pretty writing.  Exciting to see your journey if you share Ms. Linda Green Art.  ;D
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lindagreenart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »
This is a great question. Many students of calligraphy never make it past practicing letters over and over. But where you make the best progress is when you start creating things. Make a few birthday cards or some sympathy cards to keep on hand. Write a few quotes. Start jumping in to learning the composition part - see how letters, words, and sentences work together in a piece. This is why you learn calligraphy right?

There are a couple of great books that have calligraphy projects. But Instagram and Pinterest are free and FULL of inspiration. The only way to make progress from here is to pull it altogether and start creating.

That's great advice Erica, I will look up those books. Do you recommend continuing to practice on paper with guidelines? I'm not sure I can do without them but I don't like the look of them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:51:17 PM by Lindagreenart »

Offline Lindagreenart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 03:50:18 PM »
Avoid doing what you can already do, over and over again. It may feel good but, as part of the learning process, it's a bit pointless. Above all else enjoy your writing.

This is great advice thank you Ken. I totally agree, it is nice to keep doing what looks good and you are comfortable with but it won't progress your skill. Your calligraphy is beautiful    :)

Offline Lindagreenart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 03:55:27 PM »

Seems I wanna learn all the pretty writing.  Exciting to see your journey if you share Ms. Linda Green Art.  ;D

Thanks Lyric, I want to write all the pretty things too but I'm happy to get there in the correct stages. I would love to share my lettering so far, not sure its very interesting. My intention was to include calligraphy in my art but I underestimated how long it was going to take to learn calligraphy, so that is on the back burner for now.

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 12:40:32 PM »
My intention was to include calligraphy in my art but I underestimated how long it was going to take to learn calligraphy, so that is on the back burner for now.

Here here same happened here. I am with you on that point CalligraSister.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 12:45:06 PM »
That's great advice Erica, I will look up those books. Do you recommend continuing to practice on paper with guidelines? I'm not sure I can do without them but I don't like the look of them.

I realize you weren't asking me hope it won't be offensive if I pass on what has been shared . . . . (plus, I dislike the look of guidelines too) . . . lightbox.

If you incorporate a lightbox, put the guidelines beneath your working paper; voila!!!  Also, you do know about lanquatch, right?  http://lanquach.com/  make all the guidelines you need to your heart's content.  @lan.qs (on Instagram) is a godsend sharing this site with us.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lindagreenart

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2021, 01:21:03 AM »

I realize you weren't asking me hope it won't be offensive if I pass on what has been shared . . . . (plus, I dislike the look of guidelines too) . . . lightbox.

If you incorporate a lightbox, put the guidelines beneath your working paper; voila!!!  Also, you do know about lanquatch, right?  http://lanquach.com/  make all the guidelines you need to your heart's content.  @lan.qs (on Instagram) is a godsend sharing this site with us.

Not offensive at all, I'm happy for any help I can get! Yes a lightbox is probably the thing I need to purchase (along with a long list of other things  ;)  I know I can draw pencil guidelines on the paper but I don't like doing this.

I have lanquach pinned to my browser, what a brilliant site!

Offline Daniel McGill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 04:40:04 AM »
After deliberate practice, your next port of call is Applied practice.

What I mean by this is the practice of writing as other have mentioned. Senior Master Penman Bill Lily said that if you write enough, your writing becomes your practice. You most likely didn’t embark of the wonder of Engrosser’s script (copperplate is reserved EXCLUSIVELY for engraving on copper sheets) just to write letters out one after the other.

Erica is completely write is saying that it is best to write a card or a short text. Names are also a great way to practice as they are personal and keep you focused on making the best effort that you can. Try book titles too, or create a certificate for yourself on completing the basics with the best hand that you can.

You will be amazed what you learn when you apply the basics to a project. Just remember, everything has a place and distance between places.