Author Topic: Saying Hi!  (Read 1471 times)

Offline virginiaclaire

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Saying Hi!
« on: April 03, 2016, 01:01:52 AM »
Hi all,

I'm so excited to actively join this lovely group that I've already been learning from for some time now!

I've loved handwriting since my earliest memories of it in grade school (3rd grade cursive  :-*). My first calligraphy class was in junior high at a local art museum and since then I've enjoyed calligraphy off and on, mostly just in practice and in small projects for friends. Italics has been my favorite for years (though I would most definitely still be classified as a "beginner" and dabbler even in this area!), but just in the past 2 years I've discovered a love for pointed pen. I've started into the Copperplate tutorial here on the forum and am in awe of the wonderful resources available now that I was not aware of even 4-5 years back. I'm currently enjoying wedding addressing and practice, practice, practice.

In addition to squeezing in a few hours of calligraphy in the evenings, I am a mom of 3 young children, and am a physical therapist-turned stay at home mom.

Look forward to 'meeting' all of you!

Claire
(MS, USA)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:05:55 AM by virginiaclaire »

Offline misstinydoodler

• Shiela Ramirez-Sison
    • View Profile
Re: Saying Hi!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 03:18:22 AM »
Hi Claire! A warm welcome to you here in the forum!

So lovely that you've loved lettering / handwriting ever since. Me too! It has been like my first love ever and I've been so hooked up to it again after a hiatus of "10 years" haha! I'm a mother of a 3-year old little girl and I must say that my schedule's pretty hectic already but I still try to squeeze in a few hours of lettering (and even watercolor) activities. What's more fun is that I'm able to do it with my daughter since she shows great passion for what I do.

You're a mom of 3 young kids, oh wow! Being able to do a lot of things and still do some calligraphy activities is just awesome! You inspire me, my dear.

I saw your instagram and I must say you have a great feed!

Hope you continue doing it and be able to spread the love for handwritten stuffs.

Have a great day, Claire! :)
Shiela Ramirez-Sison
Interior Designer ~ Name and Monogram Designer ~ Calligraphy enthusiast
Here's my Instagram profile!

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:20:40 AM »
Hi Claire and a big, warm welcome to the Flourish Forum!  Being a physical therapist AND mom to 3 young ones must keep you very busy, indeed.  I hope you'll share with us all your calligraphy observations as a physical therapist and how we can all avoid needing to go to one! 
Debbie

Offline cvcrossing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »
Hello, Claire! :)

I'm a newbie here too. My hope is to get more calligraphy practice time. I think you're on the right track!
Christine

Offline virginiaclaire

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 04:11:25 PM »
Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

misstinydoodler: I've found that I don't feel much more busy now than I did with one child. I think life just easily fills to capacity no matter what's going on ;) How sweet that your daughter shows such a passion for art! My daughter is loving it lately too (and is also 3!). My husband says she's my only hope for a calligrapher out of our children, Ha! (the other 2 are boys and are not very interested) Also, I found you on Instagram. Love your feed!

Milonguera: Thank you! I've been away from physical therapy for about 3 years now, but I've loved to see some calligraphers on Instagram talking about hand position and ergonomics. Right up my alley ;)

cvcrossing: Thanks! Would love to find more practice time, also! I figure maybe I'll be really good only once the kids leave home ;)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
A belated welcome Claire!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop