Author Topic: Hi! I'm Christine from Philly  (Read 1980 times)

Offline ChristineD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi! I'm Christine from Philly
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
Hi, my name is Christine and I'm really excited that I found this forum!  I'm originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia, moved up to NH for a few years with my husband, and just recently have moved back to the Philly area.

I've always been interested in the arts, I met my husband while we were both studying Digital Media (like 3D animations and similar computer graphics) in college.  During my last semester there I decided to take a class in calligraphy - I've always loved handwriting and thought it would be an interesting thing to try.  I really enjoyed the calligraphy part, unfortunately the teacher wasn't so great and so I didn't continue with calligraphy more at that point.  Once I graduated though, my husband and I decided to start our own business together - first we focused on 3D graphics and now we're focusing more on web design.  He's more of the web developer and designer and really enjoys that part, and although I love having our own business, I've found myself doing more of the project / business management.  So just recently I decided I needed to find something I could become passionate at too and really concentrate on so I decided to turn back to calligraphy.  (This is all in a pretty short time frame also - graduated in 2011, started the business in 2012, got married in 2013, and have now re-located in 2014 with a new focus for our company).

So within the last month or so I've decided to start focusing on calligraphy again, with hopes that I can start small in creating a calligraphy business for myself in supplement to our company and then hopefully one day grow it larger.  I'm in love with it so far again and have just been teaching myself based on resources found online. I'm finding that I'm really drawn to the modern calligraphy styles, but I keep reminding myself to not get ahead of myself and just take the learning one step at a time.  I'm so used to doing all my designing on the computer, that it's so refreshing to use a physical pen and paper - I'm so excited to learn on through this group and through others and do really improve my skill set!

(I tend to write a lot - so thanks for reading all that :) )

Christine | IG: flourishedpink

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Re: Hi! I'm Christine from Philly
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:38:18 AM »
Welcome Christine!!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 07:07:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Christine! :) Happy inking and welcome to the forum!
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
Hi Christine! Welcome to FF :)
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
Welcome to FF :). I was into book design before I  found calligraphy and used to designing everything on the computer. I've found that I really enjoy the tactile experience of nib on paper, and it's refreshing to create something without the use of a computer.

Looking forward to seeing you around here  :D

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »
Loved your intro....I'm a talker too, so it's all good! :) Sounds like you have a fun future ahead of you--best of luck with your business, hope to see you around the forum! :)
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:01:53 AM »
Welcome in The FF!
Ciao
C

Offline mary ellen

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Mary Ellen
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:25:54 AM »
hi christine,

if you need help just let me know,  i live in south jersey.  i'm always interested in meeting fellow calligraphers,
we could meet for coffee, lettering or both!   i do both traditional hands and modern. 

mary ellen

Offline ChristineD

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:57:42 PM »
Thank you so much for all the warm welcomes, I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone on the boards1

hi christine,

if you need help just let me know,  i live in south jersey.  i'm always interested in meeting fellow calligraphers,
we could meet for coffee, lettering or both!   i do both traditional hands and modern. 

mary ellen

Mary Ellen that would be awesome, it would be great to start meeting some fellow calligraphers face to face and get any input or added advice is always much appreciated!  Let me know the best way to connect with you and I'll definitely reach out! Thanks :)
Christine | IG: flourishedpink

Offline waterconfidence

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
Hi!
Are you a member of the Philadelphia Calligraphers' Society?
If you are not, considering checking out their Facebook Page and joining.
Scripta is a wonderful publication that comes out several times a year and is filled with beautiful articles.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
Welcome Christine! I grew up in NH. Glad you are finding something you like to make your own. Welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram