Author Topic: question about Spencerian Script  (Read 13761 times)

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: question about Spencerian Script
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 05:41:07 AM »
OMG Faeleia :D that's hilarious.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
I just want to make sure when I start learning the script I'm doing the manly version ha ha

Ladies hand always seems kind of tall and lithe, simple and with a light touch to me, much like modern day 'feminine' standards.

Then it would be best to make sure yours is muscular and assertive, with large and excessive loops to show them light hands that you can do much better!, and you'll write none of damn 'love', 'beautiful', 'delicate', 'poem', 'birds', 'vegetables' words. Pssh. A man writes things like 'Dragon', 'Fire', 'Axe', 'MAN', 'soccer', 'testosterone', 'raw meat'. Your paper will be rough, made from the skin of murdered animals, and have charred edges to indicate the power embedded into such writing has such fire that it singes the corners from raw MANLINESS!

OMG, that was hilarious! 

I even imagined a nice fire pit by some high and snowy mountain and the oblique pen fashioned out of elephant tusks by the writing board just to complete the image. I clearly need some reality check.
 ;D
Debbie

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 06:22:43 PM »
What is the difference between  Spencerian Script and Spencerian Ladies Hand? Beside the obvious, why are they separated?
As Schin says, perhaps to broaden the market for textbooks, as most master penman of the age were men.
Not sure if this thread is still active, but here's a nice example I collected some years ago.

Offline Brush My Fennec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »
The idea (and its practice) that women should write a different style to men was existent hundreds of years before the Spencers were selling textbooks and I think the idea is more likely to have originated with the different status and roles of men and women in American and British society leading to different expectations about how they'd use their handwriting and Spencer was simply continuing with that idea.

A book produced by George Bickham's son (also called George Bickham) in 1733 called "The Young Clerk's assistant" features two dedications : one to the young clerks of Great Britain and another to the young ladies of great Britain. The young clerks dedication states that the young men would be using their handwriting in a professional administrative capacity, whereas the young ladies dedication portrays their handwriting as a personal ornament and for writing love letters with :

Quote from: The dedication to the young clerks of Great Britain
Ye British Youth our ages hope & care ;
You, whome the Next may polish or impair,
Learn by the Pen those Talents to insure,
That fix ev'n Fortune & from Want Secure,
You, with a Dash, in time may drain a Mine,
And deal the Fate of Empires in a Line.
For Ease & wealth, For Honour and Delight.
Your Hand's Your Warrant, if you well can write.
Vive La Plume

Quote from: To the Young Ladies of Great Britain
Ye springing Fair whome gentle minds incline
To all that's curious innocent and fine!
With admiration in your Works are read
The various textures of the twining thread :
Then let the fingers whose unrivalled skill
Exalt the Needle, grace the Noble Quill.
An artless Scrawl the blushing Scribblers Shames
All should be fair that beauteous Woman frames
Strive to excel, with ease the pen will move
And pretty lines add charms to Infant Love

These different dedications reflect the fact that society in the 18th and 19th centuries in Britain and America was patriarchal : men usually had and were expected to have power over women (e.g coverture laws) and so men and women would (in theory at least) be doing completely different things with their handwriting. So, in order to help show this difference between men and women you would have them write different styles.

However, I believe that in the later 19th century more and more women started entering the workforcegoing  into positions which were hitherto unavailable to them (esp. because their labour was cheaper than mens : Gillott mostly employed women and children to manufacture their pens) and since women might now be doing professional administrative work requiring handwriting there was no longer a need or desire for them to write a different style.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:46:17 PM by Brush My Fennec »

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »
Interesting read.