Author Topic: Pearl-ex Pigment Powders for Ink  (Read 39864 times)

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
Re: Pearl-ex Pigment Powders for Ink
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »

I'm going to experiment a bit more with those difficult PX colors and see what Frankenstein colors I can create. :)

this is gorgeous!!!
frankenstein colors...lmao!!!

Offline karen215

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »
I'm having some trouble with getting my Pearl-ex mix to flow. Given I've not tried using the ink with the nibs listed on the back of the packaging (I got the 'new' calligraphy set with *whoopie Joi's Rose Gold), perhaps that's the problem? I tried using the Zebra G, with a mixture ratio according to the packaging. I added more water and the ink is flowing better, but does more water = more gum arabic? Should I add a little more of it in the mix? I'm not too sure what gum arabic does (I know it's a binding agent, but does water affect that?).
Any advice much appreciated! Thank you.
Karen H.
Instagram: @karendabbles
Personal IG:@kho215

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2015, 02:17:28 PM »
I'm having some trouble with getting my Pearl-ex mix to flow. Given I've not tried using the ink with the nibs listed on the back of the packaging (I got the 'new' calligraphy set with *whoopie Joi's Rose Gold), perhaps that's the problem? I tried using the Zebra G, with a mixture ratio according to the packaging. I added more water and the ink is flowing better, but does more water = more gum arabic? Should I add a little more of it in the mix? I'm not too sure what gum arabic does (I know it's a binding agent, but does water affect that?).
Any advice much appreciated! Thank you.

Hi Karen - thanks so much for purchasing the kit!  that makes me soooo happy!
ok, the zebra g...for me to get pearl ex to flow out of that nib, i need to add a bit extra water, and then press really hard on the down stroke.  i use a zebra g for hairline Spencerian type script, so pressing really hard is a bit of effort for me.  so it will work with pearl ex, just add a few drops of water at a time to thin it out and keep testing that nib.
hth!
xoxo,
joi

Offline karen215

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »
Thank you Joi!

Ok so I just tried again with the Hiro 41 (have a bunch but never knew when to use it, so this was my first time using this nib).

Much better flow but then I got the blobs  ::)  Did I add too much water?
Karen H.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2015, 03:02:36 PM »
Karen,

The Hiro 41 is notorious for ink-blobbing  :-\ Any other nibs you can try?

I was lucky to get some Rose Gold from Joi to test with, and I had the best luck with a Leonardt G. I might have added a little bit more water than suggested (but I live in a desert climate where ink dries out in miliseconds!) but it turned out beautifully. I used a Brause Rose here - it's a little tricky to get it to start, but once it does - mmm lovely flow.

Offline karen215

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2015, 03:07:16 PM »
Thank you Linda. I'll go through my nib stash and see if I have that one you mentioned. I have such a crappy nib sorting system that I have no clue  where most of them are! *slap on forehead.
Karen H.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »
If you don't/can't find any in your stash, I'd be happy to send you a few PearEx-friendly ones to try. Just let me know. :)

scrapbookmom

« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2015, 03:31:05 PM »
Hi, Karen,

I have been working on a birth announcement for my new granddaughter and have been using a Gillott 404, believe it or not!  I just got the "Joi" kit from John Neal and couldn't wait to work with it.  :)  Of course, I used Pink Gold!!!  :)   I used the instructions printed on the back of the packaging and it has been great. 
  Hope this helps!
     Agnes

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »
Hi, Karen,
  I have been working on a birth announcement for my new granddaughter and have been using a Gillott 404, believe it or not!  I just got the "Joi" kit from John Neal and couldn't wait to work with it.  :)  Of course, I used Pink Gold!!!  :)   I used the instructions printed on the back of the packaging and it has been great. 
  Hope this helps!
     Agnes

Agnes! congrats on the birth of your granddaughter!!!
i'm so happy to see this kit in the hands of so many flourish friends!  thanks all for your support...because I put this kit together for US!!!
and pink gold....yuuuuum!

scrapbookmom

« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »
Hi, Joi,

Thanks for the congratulations!  And to think, I didn't have to do anything but sit at home and wait!  :)  She is a very good baby and her big brother just loves her!!
  While I was waiting for the "Joi" kit to be on the John Neal site, I ordered a pink gold separately and that is what I used first.  I now have the entire thing and I am pleased as punch with what you and Jaquard came up with.  Kudos to you!!! 
  Agreed - pink gold - YUM-O!!!!

Agnes

Offline MomofFour

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2015, 10:55:50 PM »
What is the Joi kit? I looked for "Joi" on the John Neal site and couldn't find anything.
Homeschooling Mom of Four, hoping and praying to become good at calligraphy!
https://instagram.com/4blessingsfromgod/

scrapbookmom

« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2015, 09:16:15 AM »
Hello, Mom of Four!

The technical name for the "Joi" kit is Jacquard Metallic Calligraphy Set with Pearl Ex and Gum Arabic.  At least that is what is on the packaging!  I think if you put "Pearl Ex Pigments" in the search box, you can be directed to it. 
 Sorry for the confusion!
     Agnes

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2015, 09:27:56 AM »
I'm currently experimenting with toner to make a foilable ink and the main trouble was that toner does not mix with water.
So I tried to mix it using isopropanol (isoprpyl alcohol), then gum arabic and water and it works great !
I thought this trick might work with the few unmixable pearl-ex colors (like turquoise) ?

Offline MomofFour

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
Thank you so much!!
Homeschooling Mom of Four, hoping and praying to become good at calligraphy!
https://instagram.com/4blessingsfromgod/

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »
I'm currently experimenting with toner to make a foilable ink and the main trouble was that toner does not mix with water.
So I tried to mix it using isopropanol (isoprpyl alcohol), then gum arabic and water and it works great !
I thought this trick might work with the few unmixable pearl-ex colors (like turquoise) ?

This is amazing, Sybille! Any chance you can show your results? I'm about ready to toss my little tubs of flamingo and bright yellow. What is your ratio of the alcohol to GA to H2O to PX?