Author Topic: What is a Zanerian Holder?  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
What is a Zanerian Holder?
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:28 PM »
Can someone explain to me the difference a zanerian holder and whatever else kind of holder? Erica move this if it's not placed right i just figured we were on the topic?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Zanerian Holder?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:56:08 PM »
Hi Brad,
I made this a new topic so it won't be missed. I'm curious to hear responses because I don't know the difference either!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 01:26:33 AM »
Let me give this a try...

The Zanerian holder was developed by the Zaner Bloser (for the Zanerian College). Del Tysdal then began to make and sell his own in different lengths and woods based on the original and most recently both PIA and John Neal also started carrying their own (not sure if it's associated with ZB or Del Tysdal).

However, most often, when someone refers to a holder as a Zanerian style they are referring to the way the flange is mounted. Zanerian mounted holders (im assuming they were the first to offer this) are those with the flange held in place by drilling a hole, inserting the flange and holding it in place with a shim--such as pens turned by Brian Smith and Bill Lilly while the other primary style is the pin and glue method used in the PIA Hourglass Adjustable and those made by Michael Sull, Jake Weidmann and Chris Yoke (I'm not sure but Held holders might be this way as well). These are the two primary methods used with custom/wood holders but of course there are variations. Most mass produced plastic holders are either pin/glued or just glued in place and then there are the unique ones like the all wood Blackwell which has it's own style.

I'm including a close up of both. Zanerian (hole drilled and slot cut half way for flange, flange has tabs to hold it in place once it's shimmed) on the left and Pin/Glue (slot cut all the way through and pin hole drilled at a diagonal to hold in place) on the right.

If you heard it in a different context let me know, I'd love to hear what other say. I personally prefer the Zanerian mounted holder because I like to adjust and use my own flanges which are very easy to remove vs the pin/glue method. Although I'm sure if I had the right tools I might change my mind ::)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:28:06 AM by Heebs »

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:32:51 AM »
Wow interesting. Thanks Heebs. Totally differnet than what I thought just in my head.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »
I'd love to know what you had in mind, care to share?

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:46:34 AM »
Oh something silly and not right. I thought zanerien holders were longer and skinner. Think at the bottom and thinned out toward the top. Like I said all in my head. Nothing I have learned or read. I will take your real explanation for now on.

Offline bluestockingpen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Bluestocking Calligraphy
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
Thanks for the photos and full description, Heebs! I've never known the distinction either.
Bluestocking Calligraphy | Abby Farson Pratt | www.bluestockingpen.com

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:26:29 AM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Heebs! A question - how would you remove the flange in a Zanerian holder to say, install a Heebs flange? ;)

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Heebs! A question - how would you remove the flange in a Zanerian holder to say, install a Heebs flange? ;)

They actually slide right out, it might just require a bit of force, while grasping the holder with one had you pinch the top of the holder and push up on the flange with your thumb while also pulling the flange away from the holder with your other hand. That's the easy part ??? Trimming/folding my flanges to fit your obliques is where it get's tricky for those that aren't comfortable around a pliers.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
I can attest that I had a few of my oblique pens converted to Heebs flanges (see pic) and they work/look AWESOME!

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:48:56 AM »
Thanks Heebs. Linda, did you send your holders off to Heebs to have the flanges fitted and then he sent them back to you? Your holders look great by the way. :)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 09:52:47 AM »
I think Heebs' answer is excellent.  Although most people think of the very long elegant holders, Zanerian sold a variety of patterns including a rather short and utilitarian plastic one.  The patent for the so-called Zanerian flange mounting method, incidentally, appears to pre-date the founding of the college by a few years, and was filed by a certain George W Michael of Oberlin, Ohio, which calls to mind a different college entirely.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
Do you know anything else about that patent besides what the IAMPETH patent PDF has by any chance? From what I understood, it appears to be the transition between full on slot/pin/glue and "Zanerian" mounting. It's partially slotted  (as to prevent any ink drawn up the slot to get your fingers) but still uses the pin method to secure. I need to look more into it, I love reading about the tools.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »
Thanks Heebs. Linda, did you send your holders off to Heebs to have the flanges fitted and then he sent them back to you? Your holders look great by the way. :)

Yep, sent them to Heebs, and he sent them back. BUT he's only 2 hours away so postage was cheap  ;D

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
You're absolutely right Heebs, I stand corrected.  The old memory is failing me once again, and the description includes the rivet.  I made a half-hearted attempt to chase up later patents but didn't make any progress ... quite possibly no application was ever made for the wedged flange fixing.