Author Topic: I am absolutely crazy and out of my mind.  (Read 7364 times)

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
I am absolutely crazy and out of my mind.
« on: August 30, 2014, 01:26:32 AM »
I want to share this news to you and badly in need for moral support! Some tips and advice will be much appreciated.

So, I was approached by a group of workshop organizer to teach basic calligraphy. I almost turned down the project, but after discussing with a dear friend and contemplating it, I accepted it. (I have turned down another offer before this one). The workshop will be held on October 11.

I am such a newbie. My letter forms are not there yet, how on earth will I teach the workshop!! I asked myself, what is the purpose of teaching calligraphy? I am a very goal oriented person. I always aim for a good cause if I am working on something. Then I found the answer. My goal is to introduce calligraphy to other people. As simple as that. I will share to them what I have learned in these few months. It is not much I know. I am FAR from a master or an expert. I am a calligraphy enthusiast.

Hoping that in this workshop, we can find talents that may proceed in learning calligraphy. In the long run, I hope calligraphy community will grow larger in Indonesia. If the community is large enough, maybe we can invite one of you to teach in Indonesia! :D

I am not sure about the payment. As I will do it for free if I am able to, but well...I have to spend some time to prepare the starter kit and also budget on transportation.

I really need some guidance from all of you. I have no sources other than Erica's tutorial. And I am aware that it is not ethical to teach from other people's material. Hm.. I will prepare my own worksheet. I will stress more on letter form of course because I truly believe a good letter form is very important before you go on modern calligraphy. But in the end of workshop, I will let them to write anything like quotes or verses. So they will feel encouraged that they can produce something.

This is such a long post! I could not sleep last night, a hundred..thousand ideas came into my mind. Thank you Flourish Forum community for being so kind and supportive towards me. I am forever feeling grateful for that.

Love,
Ernie
Ernie Tan
IG: ernietan.calligraphy | Practice makes progress.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: I am absolutely crazy and out of my mind.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:33 AM »
Congratulations!!!!! It sounds like you're a very concerned and careful teacher, which is a great start!!!

Maybe it's a good idea to first plan what you want to teach? Traditional copperplate? Modern calligraphy? Spencerian? You can always work off of vintage books too if needed. Once you nail down what you want to teach, then I think the rest will follow.

We're here for you!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 03:08:57 AM »
Haha..am I, Schin? Right now, I am concerning myself more than my students. Lol

I will definitely start with a classic copperplate. Basic strokes and miniscules are appropriate for a basic workshop I think. The class will be about 2 hours. I am not sure how far I can share. Majucules? Simple flourishes? Does anybody can share what will the beginner expect? And how much is not too much for a basic class?

I will prepare some quotes at the end of the class for them to play with the pen. Then I will think of a system that a student may win an original piece with a frame that I am going to write on the spot. Is that a good idea?

Any more idea?
Ernie Tan

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:03:16 AM »
I think you have the right attitude. If you introduce them to calligraphy so that hopefully they will like it enough to keep going, that will be a major accomplishment. I would definitely start with the basic Copperplate strokes, then lower case letters. I doubt they'll get through all of it in 2 hours, but if you sent them home with worksheets of all the lower case letters, as well as an upper case exemplar, they can keep going at home. And I think time to play with some quotes is a great idea!

I attended an introductory workshop where I was the only one who had ever held a pointed pen before. If you're starting at that point, it takes awhile just to get the hang of handling the pen. Some people got around to playing with majiscules by the end of the 3 hours, but many didn't.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 06:04:30 AM »
HI Ernie,

Great stuff :)  I wish there were someone here, who could have given me, a basic introduction course. 
I just wanted to mention a few things that I would have liked to learn when I started practising copperplate. 

I am not really sure about the level of the students you will have.   Have they had some kind of experience with the tools and materials?

If not,  you could start with a short introduction to the tools (oblique holders, nib types, inks and papers) and more specifically the material that they can use which is locally available.

It took me ages to read online to find suitable material to start practising and it was really frustrating when stuff like feathering of ink on paper  would happen.  (This was much before I found this forum,  now I just shamelessly ask on here :)  )

Then go on to what Lori suggested.

That should very easily cover 2 hours,  and  make them return, begging for more.
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Cecilia

• show love, share with love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
This is great news Ernie! congrats!!!! So happy for you  :)
I did a couple of workshops in Rome last May. I decided to go for a basic introduction to modern calligraphy.
I just want to share my experience and hope this can help a little: people want to immediately use holder, nib and ink so they tend not to listen to your introduction speech. I had to change my plans during the lesson. While they were writing, I tried to talk about different tools. That worked in my experience.
Another point: intro + talk + minuscules is already a good program. A 2h class will not allow you to do much more.
I would go for having them beg for more as Prasad said.
Good luck then! I'm sure you will be great  8)
Cecilia
My IG :: My FB Page

Offline theMDwrites

• Freshman Member
  • MD by day, Calligrapher by night.😁
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »
Hello crazy and out-of-her-mind, Ernie..😂 you're gonna be just fine. I will reply to your email soon. Wish we could skype. It will be easier. You have the best guide right here - flourish forum. I wish I knew about it wayyyy before. It could have saved me all the trouble. Ate Erica has the best approach coz she tackles the finest details not the most friendly way. I'm positive about this, dear friend. You will flood their minds with letters ✊😎
the_md_writes

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 09:48:54 AM »
Yay! Way to go! I don't have any advice because I'm too new, but congratulations! You're going to do great. Keep us posted!

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
Thank you all for your input. I was like worrying what would I share for 2 hours. After brainstorming and reading all your comments, I wish I have 4 hours! So many things I would like to share.

The organizer wants a 2 sesaions workshop which another session will be taught by other person. Brush calligraphy. I am not sure whether it is a good idea to combine 2 new things and completely different approach in a workshop. I have not shared this opinion to them. What do you guys think?

Looks like I have in mind what teaching material that I need. It is time to do my homework :P And must think about the starter kit as well. I would love to make a nice packaging. Yeah! I am a sucker who will fall for nice packaging. Lol. Luckily, the organizer consists of 3 graphic designers and they assured me that they will help to design the starter kit.

Hm..talking about meeting the right people...I am so blessed they found me!

Thank you Schin, Lori, Prasad, Cecilia, Gail, and Meredith! All of you give me the moral support that I reaaaally need. Now I am feeling bit more confident with this project. And of course thank you Erica for providing this forum for us to share and connect :) And will definitely share this forum to the beginners!

Not in panic attack anymore,
Ernie

PS @Gail: I will be waiting for your email, but don't hurry yourself. Reply it whenever you are available :)
Ernie Tan

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
My first class was about 2 hours.  Most people in the class, including me, had not used a dip pen.  The teacher started with the basics of how to use a dip pen, ink, and how the flexible nib worked.  Some people picked up the basics of the flexible nib faster than others.  Also there was a left handed person so you need to be prepared to help them out.  The teacher provided worksheets with the miniscules and demonstrated the first few.  After that, everyone worked at their own pace through the sheets.  Really, you only get through a few letters, but the rest you continue on at home if you want.  What I found particularly helpful was advice on papers to practice with and recommendations of books (Eleanor Winters) and internet sites.  Really, in two hours you can only get a taste.  People who like it will continue on with other classes or books.

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:06 AM »
Left handed! Good thing you mentioned it, Ellen. Should do some research about that. After reading most of your replies, I have come to conclusion, 2 hours class is such a short class. I should give them some worksheet so they may continue to practice at home.

I agree with you that giving advice on paper, ink, and books. I have spend some money to do test and trials. Regret buying aome inks and paper too! Hope that my sharimg will help them skipping that aituation. Thanks Ellen for your advice :)
Ernie Tan

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
I agree, two hours is short! If you need any left-handed input, I'd be glad to help. I tried straight, then oblique, then back to straight...  The paper angle is really important. And there's a TIps for Lefties thread here. I also linked to a diagram from IAMPETH showing all the proper paper angle for righties and lefties here. That was a huge help for me - a case where a picture is worth a thousand words.  :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:16:47 PM »
Ernie, you're going to do great!!  Keep in mind that while you are relatively new to calligraphy, you know LOTS more than any of your students!  They'll be in awe of your skill, since you're ahead of them!!  Let me know if I can help in any way!

Janis

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 01:20:39 AM »
@Lori: Thank you for the link you gave. I am quite amazed by the picture from iampath about the paper angle. Do you do that also, Lori? Very impressive!

@Janis: thank you for your encouragement! We do not know whether the students will be first timer or not. But definitely we will announce it is for beginner. I am praying they are! Haha.. Gail (@mdwrites) did give me a good advice that if I teach, it will encourage me to learn more and she is right!!! I am now looking and reading sources from websites to equip myself more! :D
Ernie Tan

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »
Ernie, when I was first trying to learn Copperplate (2012 - pre-Forum days), I used the tutorials at IAMPETH and I found some great videos on YouTube!  I'd Google "Copperplate Capitol S", or whatever letter I was trying to learn & it was amazing how many resources popped up!  The tutorials on the Forum are excellent, of course, but there are a very wide variety of resources for you online!