Author Topic: I am absolutely crazy and out of my mind.  (Read 7240 times)

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
Re: I am absolutely crazy and out of my mind.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
Yes, Janis. I agree with you. So far, internet is my best resource. Though I would love to have a book about calligraphy. I will get that one day. :) Erica's tutorial is definitely my go to tutorial. She explained everything very clearly. I had never googled a certain alphabeth for learning. It is a good idea to learn an alphabeth at a time and see how many variations you can do.
Ernie Tan
IG: ernietan.calligraphy | Practice makes progress.

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »
ernie, this is amazing!!!  congrats!!

i'm sure you'll do fine with the workshop and your student will learn so much.  are you only allowed 2 hours?  when i took maybelle's workshop, we had three hours; but it still wasn't enough because we (the students) wanted to continue practicing.

the peeps have already pointed you to the right direction when it comes to resources, so i'll just be a groupie for now :) GO ERNIE!!!
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 11:40:24 PM »
Hi Patricia, thank you for your support! Actually the workshop will be 4 hours but they would like to combine it with brush calligraphy. So I think I will get half of the time slot. At first I was kind of glad that I only teach for 2 hours, but after reading most of your comments, I would love to have full slot. Haha... Too excited here...

Ernie Tan

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 05:28:47 AM »
Hi Crazy Ernie, congratulations on the teaching gig.  :)

There are some excellent suggestions above, plenty to fill a two hour slot for sure.  One thing I think you really ought to devote a minute or so to, because it's potentially a source of great frustration and the information still isn't widely distributed, is preparing a new nib to take ink for the first time.

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
Ok, my first problem is this. How to make a copperplate guidlines? I know that I can make a slant line from photoshop. But 55 degree slant?? I know there are many copperplate grid, but I just want to make sure I produce it myself and not sealing with copyright issue.
Ernie Tan

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »
Ernie,

You can buy Dr. Joe Vitolo's guide sheets at PIA.  Or, you can download guide sheets off the Internet.  Just Google Copperplate guidelines and you'll find plenty open source examples available.  Or, you can use a protractor to made guidelines on your pages.  Can you buy a protractor in Indonesia??

Offline Cecilia

• show love, share with love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
Ernie,

You can buy Dr. Joe Vitolo's guide sheets at PIA.  Or, you can download guide sheets off the Internet.  Just Google Copperplate guidelines and you'll find plenty open source examples available.  Or, you can use a protractor to made guidelines on your pages.  Can you buy a protractor in Indonesia??

Janis is right.
I would only add that you can type "guide" in the search box of the Forum and you'll get all threads where people shared their links.
I have downloaded some very nice guide sheets that Estefa or Natascha shared sometimes ago; you can choose landscape or portrait and also the X height of your Copperplate (starting from 3mm up to 8mm).
;) the Forum is like Mr Google for calligraphy ;)
Cecilia
My IG :: My FB Page

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 10:50:58 PM »
Janis: Is it legal to buy Dr. Vitolo's guidelines then used it as my teaching material? Is protractor some kind of software? If yes, I think we can buy that, but here I am, not a design person. I only have basic in photoshop. Haha..

Cecilia:Yep, that is what I do for personal usage. I am not sure if the free guidelines from the internet are legal for teaching material. Or it is okay to use? Any idea,C?
Ernie Tan

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 11:38:16 PM »
Ok, my first problem is this. How to make a copperplate guidlines? I know that I can make a slant line from photoshop. But 55 degree slant?? I know there are many copperplate grid, but I just want to make sure I produce it myself and not sealing with copyright issue.

Hi Ernie,
Try this link
http://shipbrook.net/guidelines/

I could not find any copyright mentioned on it, so I think it may be safe to use it.
You can modify the width of the lines, the angle of the slant, and even the number of ascenders and descender lines.
Also,  there is an option to make the darkness of the line different (100% to 25%).  If you keep it at 100% you can use the print out as a guide below your sheet.  Make it 25% and you can write directly on it, as the lines are very light.

When you ask it to generate the guides, it makes a pdf file that you can save for later use also.

You can try different combinations and see which size of lines is best suited for you.  Typically if you choose 6 lines per inch, it will give you fairly big line spacing, that makes it easier for beginners to practice.
-Prasad
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:40:01 PM by prasad1970 »
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 12:17:03 AM »
I just got that link too, Prasad! A friend of mine gave me and it works like magic. Thought I might share it at here just now. Thanks for the link!! :D
Ernie Tan

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:31 AM »
Hi Ernie,

This is my favourite generator:  http://calligraffiti.in/rulings

The person who runs it is very prompt in responding to emails and also just seems like a great guy, so I'm sure you could send him an email linking him to the thread and asking if it's OK to use his guidelines - that might solve your copyright problem!

GOOD LUCK!

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 01:10:35 AM »
I know you're getting tons of great suggestions...  Yet another option: if you have Photoshop, you can draw a horizonal line, then go to Edit -> Transform -> Rotate, and in the degrees of rotation box, enter -55. That will get you a 55 deg line which you can then duplicate. Just in case the other options don't work out.

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 01:22:05 AM »
Moya, thanks for the link! I will surely check that out and ask him if I can use his guidelines in my class. Thanks again!

Lori, woohooo! This is cool, I will definitely try it. The only design software I can use is Photoshop (only the basics. I can make lines, but 55 degree slant lines is an issue) thanks Lori for a quick tutorial on Photoshop!
Ernie Tan

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 02:52:55 PM »
Hi, Ernie!

You could only use Dr. Joe's guide sheets with permission.   :(  Here's a link to how to use a protractor:  http://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/protractor-using.html  I used one in school (in geometry class).  They're simple to use!  The guides available here at the Forum are great & I wouldn't hesitate to use them!

Janis

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
I have to share this ASAP to you because I feel that all of you had given me the encouragement and supports for doing this. So the workshop happened this morning from 10.30-15.00. The class fully taught by me (the earlier plan, they will join the class with brush pen calligraphy but then the plan was canceled)

There were 12 participants. It started with half an hour of introduction. Went through all the supplies. Going through all the details. After that, it was lunch time. After lunch, we started our lesson from all basic strokes, then go through the minuscules. But, did not get through all alphabets. Then I gave a quick preview how to do the majuscules.

At the end of the workshop, we did a small activity which is making a quote on a card using gouache. Then the greatest part is we got a sponsor from a stationery store that sponsored scrapbooks stuff for them to decor the card and envelopes. Including wax seal!!!! Yes, I know! I want to be the participant, not the teacher! Lol.

It was a great experience for me. I am very thankful for the workshop organizer who had approached me and talked me into doing this. I am so grateful for all of you here who encourage me as well. And esp to Gail! Yes, our calligrapher/doctor/sunnies fan. Thank you thank you thank you.
Ernie Tan