Author Topic: Calligraphy by Gaye Godfrey-Nicholls  (Read 11727 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Calligraphy by Gaye Godfrey-Nicholls
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »
@AndyT Well, that version of Texas DOES exist.  However, Texas is very diverse, mainly due to it's size!  The second largest canyon in America (Palo Duro Canyon) is located about 20 miles south of me.  There are mountains in far West Texas, along with a desert.  In East Texas, there are the "Piney Woods", which are forests densely populated with pine trees.  The Rio Grande Valley is in far South Texas & it is a breadbasket, where lots of fresh produce is grown.  And, we have miles & miles of coastline, where there is commercial fishing & shrimping, along with beaches for recreation.  My favorite part of the state is in Central Texas, where there are many rolling hills, rivers & the bluebonnets are plentiful in the spring!  You need to come & visit sometime!  I met a couple from Finland in May, who visited my church.  I took them to lunch & they told me that they are touring America "on the cheap". - They rented a car & bought camping gear & they are making their way from California to Chicago, more or less following the historic Route 66 (which goes through my hometown).  They were super nice & they've been sending me photos of their adventure via email!  It made me want to take up their adventure, but, unfortunately, my obligation to my clients kept me from it!   :D

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 04:56:53 AM »
This is a super great book.

I can also confirm that Gaye is an excellent dinner companion. ;)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 01:40:16 PM »
Texas is very diverse, mainly due to it's size!

@JanisTX Well indeed: 33½ times the size of Wales (which is how we get a handle on big things over here, don't ask me why).  I did figure that there'd be a lot of variety, but as it turns out sounds like you really are in No Country For Old Men territory, near enough.  Do you have road signs which say "Next Sign 50 Miles"?  Please tell me you do!  :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 06:21:25 PM »
@AndyT We DO have signs that say that AND we have signs that say, "No gas for 50 miles".  One of the state parks in far west Texas (the big bend region) only has 1 gas station & there are signs everywhere warning people so that they don't run out of gas & get stranded.  That part of the state gets super hot in the summer & cold at night, so running out of gas is a very bad idea!!

Janis

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 06:03:45 AM »
@JanisTX   I'm so pleased to hear that!  The nearest we have is "No Costa Coffee for 150 Yards".  ;)

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »
I think I've seen those 'no service station for 50 miles' signs up north... ? There are parts of Devon where they probably need them.... get lost in the maze of lanes and you might be driving for 50 miles in circles before you find civilisation again.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »
I remember driving through America (Pennsylvania!) with east-coasters and one of the girls said "Wow, we're really in the middle of nowhere. I've never been more than 45 minutes drive away from a Starbucks before."

My Australian brain was completely boggled.