Author Topic: Your funniest calligraphy accidents  (Read 7944 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Your funniest calligraphy accidents
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Many years ago, before I became self-employed, when I was quiet at work, I used to pass the time by surreptitiously practicing calligraphy.

One day, I was unexpectedly interrupted and I had to clear my workspace in a hurry. I gathered up paper, ink bottles, scalpel and pens and holding them high in front of me, I carried them quickly across the room to hide them. Unfortunately, the scalpel slipped from my grasp, fell point down and stuck in my chest, hanging by the point. I had time to dispose of my materials but there was a certain amount of bleeding, and I had no choice other than to go to first aid.  I can't remember the bizarre explanation I gave for the injury, as the nurse patched me up.

I sometimes wonder what the casual reader would have made of the entry in the accident book. Opposite my name it read -
"Scalpel wound to right nipple"    :o
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:57:52 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 05:00:08 PM »

I sometimes wonder what the casual reader would have made of the entry in the accident book. Opposite my name it read -

DYING LAUGHING!!! thanks for sharing that!

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
Ken that story is great, and probably something I will do in the future, as someone going into computer programming. I'm likely to be stuck in a cubicle all day. I know I had an internship two summers ago with some serious down time, and I would end up doodling in a sketchbook until something came up for me to do.

I don't know about funny, but definitely the worst accident I've had with ink (so technically not calligraphy, fountain pen, but still), was I managed to knock a whole bottle of noodler's ink over on a table, lost a good half of it, and it got into my jeans and WOULD NOT COME OUT. Was super disappointed because it was a brand new pair of jeans too. Although I held onto them so they're my first pair of 'paint clothes' I have for whenever I'm doing something messy. :D

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »

Hilarious!!! You should have offered to rewrite it in copperplate, lol
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 08:50:07 PM »

hahaha i never thought this would happen to you ken :)
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 01:28:42 AM »

I can't stop laughing!!!!

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 02:36:38 AM »

Free piercing!
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 04:23:30 AM »

Hand on heart - it's absolutely true!

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 07:54:08 AM »
Ken, that's one funny story. Not particularly funny at that point in time I'm sure.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 09:36:30 AM »

Hand on heart - it's absolutely true!
Hand on heart--to protect the wound no doubt.

How about a tattoo at the site to obscure the damage, something in roundhand--"No price too high for proper letter form."

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 12:23:21 PM »
I never took out my LP from my oblique, and place it in a container (nib facing up) near my other stationery. When I was in a hurry and needed to take a pen, I accidentally wounded my palm because of that sharp nib. But thank God it was not something serious, but that shot on the palm did awakened me. Lol.
Ernie Tan
IG: ernietan.calligraphy | Practice makes progress.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Ken, so far, your story gets the prize for funniest!  It could be a scene from a sitcom.  I'm enjoying reading these and hope they'll keep coming.  Alas, I haven't anything to add. 
Debbie

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 09:59:54 PM »
I never took out my LP from my oblique, and place it in a container (nib facing up) near my other stationery. When I was in a hurry and needed to take a pen, I accidentally wounded my palm because of that sharp nib. But thank God it was not something serious, but that shot on the palm did awakened me. Lol.

I keep my nibs in their holders in a pencil jar, and I'm constantly stabbing myself on them as I reach for anything nearby.
Clara

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 11:38:39 PM »
This is too funny not to share, even though it wasn't really an accident, per se.

This afternoon I went to the bridal showcase downtown to see who the local wedding planners were and see if they needed my services. I was talking to this one girl for about 5 minutes and I could tell she was just being nice listening to me, not really interested in my services, though. Finally she was like, "so basically you want to teach the brides how to dance?" Apparently the WHOLE time we were talking she was super confused because she thought I had said "choreographer!" (which is even funnier if you saw me dance!) After we cleared that up, she even went out of her way to get the owner, who actually wanted to set up an appointment soon. woo hoo!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio